When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skinny Fat Spring Bars for Rolex

Ronin

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket spring bars for Rolex 4-digit "Sport" models that maintain the length and the outer push-area thickness, but have center area in the 1.8mm range?  The rationale behind this is to use bracelets with "5" ending end-links on watches that otherwise require a "0" ending end-link?

In Seiko land where they have ridiculously think 2.2mm+ spring bars that do not fit most aftermarket straps/bracelets and are often too thick for NATO's the market responded with "Skinny Fat" springbars to bridge the gap.

I have used Explorer 1016 & 1601 springbars to get the bracelets with "5" end-links on watches like a 1675, but they don't quite fill out the lug-to-lug like a true 2mm...

Any ideas?

"Basically, looking for 1.8mm spring bars but with the full length of a 2.0mm and with thicker ends to take up all the room in the lug hole."

I know exactly what you are looking for.

One of the things I have is a big spring bar accumulation from many years 'collecting' and being a silent partner in a watch store. 

Do I have any spring bars in 1.8mm tube size with long 1.2mm tips?

No.  Never have seen any.  Yet.  But no doubt they are out there somewhere.

What I have seen is a few 20mm SB with 1.8mm center tubes and long .9mm +/- diameter tips in an assortment I got from S. LaRose 25 or 30 years ago.  They are basically the same as a SB made for rlx 6694/1500 case with 19mm lug space and lug holes all the way through...they work in genspec Daytonas too.  The catch is since they were made for 19mm lug space and having no 'flanges' on the ends, the 'shoulders' (usually 1.20/1.25mm diameter) on the ends next to the .9mm end tips can sometimes pass through 1.25/1.3mm lug holes and allow the SB to shift to one side. 

Spring bars made for 16xx, 16xxx, and early 162xx DJ are similar to the 19mm SB except they have a 'plug tip' on one end and on the other end they have a 1.25mm shoulder ending in a .9mm tip.  The shoulder might enter or pass through 1.25/1.3mm lug holes allowing the SB to stick out of the lug...but not usually.

'Plug tip' = the tip end that comes out of the tube like a 5512/13 etc SB. 

'Official terms' = commonly used terms in the trade:

'Single shoulder' = shoulder on one end only, like the early DJ type SB.

'Double shoulder' = shoulders on both ends, like rlx 6694/1500.

'Single [censored]' = [censored] on one end only.

'Double [censored]' = flanges on both ends.

Spring bars for 6694/1500 etc have .9mm tips about 1.5mm long with 1.25mm shoulders on both ends.

Spring bars for DJ etc have .9mm diameter tips with a 1.2mm/1.25 diameter shoulder on one end.  The other end has a 'plug end' (no shoulder) coming out of the center tube about 2.0mm long. 

Measurements are approximate but close.  

• Like 1

Thanks. Your posts are always awesome and educational. I wonder if there is an opportunity here. The Seiko Aftermarket solved this exact problem giving options from 2.5 down to 1.8 and maintaining Gen like fit and quality connections. Aka the Skinny Fat.  

I wonder what would be involved in having custom SB made? 🤔

Case in point there are so many 62510H Jubilee’s out there with 555 end links with 1.8 center links. That could be used on 4/5 digit GMTs and Subs (with lug holes). All we need is the right SB to get the job done and maintain the lug whole appearance that I think looks awesome. 😃