When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need someone to build a Tudor 9401/0 Submariner franken!

AP773

2 hours ago, alligoat said:

Check out 9401s on the internet- print up a few pics of the gens and compare them to your watch.

Your crown guards have been trimmed but could use a little fine tuning.

The crown appears to be a 24-700 which is early and I guess ok. Tudor Collector says the 9401 was introduced in 1976, but it seems that I had read as early as 1970. 1976 would be a 24-702 crown- which you can get from Athaya, but you'd need to change out the tube also, so maybe you just go with the 24-700 crown for now.

You need to ditch the pearl- that small metal surround just doesn't cut it. Get yourself an all acrylic pearl. Try Ofrei or Athaya.

I can't tell if the lugholes have been drilled- looks kinda like it. The bevel on the lugs is fairly pronounced- maybe overly so, but like I say- look at some gens. The Rolex springbars would be nice if they fit.

If you don't have a Tudor bracelet, a Nato strap would be fine, or I like those leather straps from cheapnatostraps.com.

You don't say which movement it has, but a 2824 or 2836 would be fine. Crown position on the case looks good- maybe it's a 2824.

A little light aging of the dial and hands- maybe with a tea stain- can't hurt. 

I'd say enjoy your watch! 

I've been comparing to some pics of gens and the case looks pretty good (obviously not perfect). I'm still planning to source gen parts and put together a "super franken" so the crown, bezel, etc. will all go but finding a decent case will be tough. I'm between keeping this one and putting mostly gen parts into it, or pulling the trigger on a Phong case. If anyone has a Phong case I'd definitely be interested in seeing if this one looks just as good or if a Phong is that much better.