When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Long Does Gold Plating Last?

tonyp1

If you only wear a certain watch on special occasions like weddings ect Im thinking it should last for a very long time. What if you wore it every day? Would it last 6 months maybe a year? Im having a hard time believing that a rolex case can be solid 18k. Besides the considerable cost $680 a ounce theres also the problem of 18k being very soft. Does anyone know how rolex does this?

Edited by tonyp1

It may sound strange, but it has a great deal to do with the level of acidity in your sweat. This is the main

cause of gold plate loss. I wear my gold plated watches only on special occasions for this reason.

Other than that it should last for a long time.

Stay away... especially from gold plated Rolexes. They scream fake and are often very disappointing. Especially the ones with two-tone Oyster bracelets. They have disappointed me and many other members over the years... just say no.

Well can anyone comment on 18k Rolex cases?

According to Rolex "Genuine (gold) Rolex watches are made from solid gold parts from the case, right down to the bracelet screws." But if you stop and think how much gold it takes to make a 36mm watch thats almost unbelievable.

Edited by tonyp1

I have owned several genuine Rolex presidents manufactured from 1980 up to 2001 and one thing is strange, the gold in all of them was always a different color. I know the cases, and bracelets are solid 18k gold. They are machined from a solid very dense block of gold. Piaget makes their watches the same way. The cases are very thick so you wont get any ben or warp and if you are careful not too many scratches. The bracelets do stretch over time.

I have many gold plated watches and some for 4 years and the gold plating is still fresh. The higher quality watches like Movado and Seiko last years, and so do some reps. I can say that Trustytimes president has the best color I have seen so far too bad the dial is about 2mm too small.

I had a omega deville new from the 1980s, which suppose to have 20 micron gold plated.

she still good today. only ever serviced once.

My gen. Rolex datejust two tone is over 10 years old. still looks perfect.

I havent gain enough to try a rep two tone though.

I had a omega deville new from the 1980s, which suppose to have 20 micron gold plated.

Edited by david-aussie

Ive got a gold plated pen from the 70's and its still good ... dont use it that often.

Also being 18kt gold - they could mix different alloys into it to make it harder than normal jewellery 18kt gold.

18kt jsut means that 75% of the weight is gold (18/24 = 75%).. the rest is a alloy

If you only wear a certain watch on special occasions like weddings ect Im thinking it should last for a very long time. What if you wore it every day? Would it last 6 months maybe a year? Im having a hard time believing that a rolex case can be solid 18k. Besides the considerable cost $680 a ounce theres also the problem of 18k being very soft. Does anyone know how rolex does this?

Listen carefully!!....Their first trick is to make the gold go straight through to the other side!!...Their next trick is to mark it up 10X cost to build....and then sell it to some fool!!.... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Listen carefully!!....Their first trick is to make the gold go straight through to the other side!!...Their next trick is to mark it up 10X cost to build....and then sell it to some fool!!.... :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

With some exceptions, gold plate in replicas generally sucks. My genuines have run the gamut as well. I have a plated TT Bulova that's 15 years old and looks like solid gold still and several "President" automatic Seikos that looked like tarnished brass after a couple of years.

PVD Titanium Nitride golding is the only way to go when "golding" watches. I have a new PVDed Tissot that's spectacular and I'm assured from manufacturer contacts the coating will last as long as a 100 micron gold plating.

• Like 1