When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Tricks To Preserve The Gold Plating On The Reps ?

wadan

I am contemplating between SS IWC skeleton and the gold one

I know that most “ if not all “ Gold plated reps will eventually fade out :black_eye: ,

What do you think ? is there any treatment that can preserve or prolong the gold plaiting on the reps ?

Thanks to every body in advance and cheers

:rolleyes:

I am contemplating between SS IWC skeleton and the gold one

I know that most “ if not all “ Gold plated reps will eventually fade out :black_eye: ,

What do you think ? is there any treatment that can preserve or prolong the gold plaiting on the reps ?

Thanks to every body in advance and cheers

:rolleyes:

I would suggest not wearing one....but some have attested to brass base metal tarnishing showing through import gold plate with time and very limited wear.

I bought a RG FA Jones and wear it about 10 hours a month and so far....so good.

I would think cleaning the gold parts after each wear would help...

Also wrap your wrist in saran wrap so sweat cannot get to the watch.

Some gold plate would be helped along longevity lines by light cleaning of sweat....some just starts coming off faster if you rub it often.

I had an extended phone conversation with the owner of Artisan plating a while back about the quality of import platings. Most are pretty poor. Even the best small scale outfits such as his can only reasonably plate to 5-7 microns which is enough for 10 years of wear for some.....2-4 years of wear for others. Special plate baths for heavier 20 micron platings get pretty prohibitive for watch replating work...upwards of $300+ ....and no guarantee of success. "An asian plated piece is likely to have anything as the base metal" he told me. Use them and throw them away.

Perhaps auto wax. It is clear, polishes nicely, and would take most of the beating for the plating safely underneath.

You beat me to it! A silicone based non-abrasive car wax applied regularly to the watch band will extend the longevity of the plating considerably. It is amazing how tough these silicone coatings are - my local coachworks curses them as they have to be stripped off car panels with some pretty aggressive chemicals because if they don't then new paint will not adhere.

You beat me to it! A silicone based non-abrasive car wax applied regularly to the watch band will extend the longevity of the plating considerably. It is amazing how tough these silicone coatings are - my local coachworks curses them as they have to be stripped off car panels with some pretty aggressive chemicals because if they don't then new paint will not adhere.

That's because silicone oil is not a polymerizing drying oil. It, in effect, is always wet. Silicone oil contaminated furniture can never be refinished with nitrocellulose lacquers without some pretty intense stripping and sealing protocols. It's not that they are particularily tough as far as abrasion resistance is concerned, just tenacious in remaining on the surface and giving the appearance of polish. Pure Carnuba wax is, in fact very hard and would afford more protection. I guess what I'm saying is that automotive lacquer and silicone do not mix. Very small amounts of silicone contamination can ruin a lacquer application and the amount of effort with chemicals and elbow grease needed to decontaminate a silicone treated surface does not necessarily translate to toughness of finish

Lacquered brass is very tarnish and scratch resistant. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the old "clear nail polish" trick.