When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I Pics

stilty

Here are some pics of a Franken EX1 that I put together a while back.

Genuine case, crystal, bezel, crown, and dial! crappy rep hands. I have yet to find a nice set of hands to compliment the gen. dial. I may have to just buy some genuine hands and broach the holes to fit eta. Not the greatest photos, but I hope you enjoy. Powered by eta 2824-2, the vacuum packed version, so swiss quality. I have this beauty on nato band as i have yet to find a genuine band to match the case. I tried a few aftermarket, but they just don't seem right. I tried to capture the lume of the genuine dial. The shots were of full charge. Notice how bright the genuine lume is compared to the hands! No comparison, it looks like the hands are not even glowing. I would take some pics of the inside, but the case has been waterproofed and tested by my watchmaker and I don't want to mess with the seals.

post-4733-1170001591_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170001709_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170001934_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170002489_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170002726_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170002805_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170002448_thumb.jpgpost-4733-1170002427_thumb.jpg

Very very nice project... a couple of questions for you: how did you attached the movement to the inner case (I mean if you did use a spacer ring or another solution). I'm in the middle of a similar project. And, did you ever have the opportunity to compare rep dial with gen? This is probably the model with the most accurate rep (rolex brand). Thanks in advance.

Very very nice project... a couple of questions for you: how did you attached the movement to the inner case (I mean if you did use a spacer ring or another solution). I'm in the middle of a similar project. And, did you ever have the opportunity to compare rep dial with gen? This is probably the model with the most accurate rep (rolex brand). Thanks in advance.

I used a spacer ring from an eta 2834-2 movement and case clamps. The spacer ring fits the movement perfectly, but it requires a bit of sanding. The ring is 29mm, and it needs to be brought down to 28.5mm. easy to do, but tedious. I have a rep dial as well, and there is no comparison to genuine. The white gold markers and genuine lume are stunning. I think the only way I can be happy is using genuine 'domed' white gold hands.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi?ref=ETA_2834-2

Part: Enlargement Ring 926/ETA 2834

post-4733-1170086004_thumb.jpg

Edited by stilty

nice work stilty, real nice! change that nato and I'd steal it from you when you're not watching :victory:

if you're worried about hands; don't drink coffee, scrape that lume and repaint using mixed acrylic colours with the amount of

luminous material you think match the dial. I've tried that, check out my 5512 post if you like.

Anyways I like the hands you're using and wouldn't worry about it, gens are not matching completely w/ dial/hands anyway

I too am in the midst of an Explorer I franken project, and I am struck as to how nice yours turned out!

It gives me something to model mine after.

Looks perfect!

R.P.

P.S.

Want to rid yourself of the extra dial?

Want to rid yourself of the extra dial?

sure, I just have to find it. we moved and a lot of stuff was packed up. recently finding some nice parts to continue some projects. only thing about the dial is it is bigger then a genuine. I think 29mm, so will have to be modified if you want it to fit gen. case. from the looks of the dial feet, could be off a miyota rep. PM if interested.

• 3 months later...