When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gave My Dad The Sub 5517 Last Night

section8

My step mother threw a big party for my dad's 60th birthday last night and I have my dad the Sub 5517 from Josh - complete with Rolex box and papers I got off Ebay. Suffice today, everyone at the party was floored! The watch got passed around with everyone saying "I've never seen a real Rolex before! Look at that second hand sweep!" Everyone was fooled - albeit I'm sure none of them know watches well enough to know that it was a rep.

I told my dad in private (immediate family knew already) and he couldn't care less - he absolutely loved it!

I think I'm going to get one for myself actually, i had a few days with the watch before giving it to him and while I didn't actually wear it, I was very impressed with it.

I only wish my camera wasn't MIA at the moment so I could have taken pictures.

My step mother threw a big party for my dad's 60th birthday last night and I have my dad the Sub 5517 from Josh - complete with Rolex box and papers I got off Ebay. Suffice today, everyone at the party was floored! The watch got passed around with everyone saying "I've never seen a real Rolex before! Look at that second hand sweep!" Everyone was fooled - albeit I'm sure none of them know watches well enough to know that it was a rep.

I told my dad in private (immediate family knew already) and he couldn't care less - he absolutely loved it!

I think I'm going to get one for myself actually, i had a few days with the watch before giving it to him and while I didn't actually wear it, I was very impressed with it.

I only wish my camera wasn't MIA at the moment so I could have taken pictures.

sounds like it was a good gift! i am thinking of building my dad a custom pam for his birthday.

Great story. Hope it wears on him well. I had my Dad's 1970 GP Gyromatic restored last year. He wore it every day for 35 years with no service, a remarkable testament to the robustness and quality of this 39 jewel watch. It's a chronometer again and looks brand new.

I love amazing that generation with the things that are available today. A dial restoration, movement service and regulation only set me back $350 and the watch looks as good as it did on day one. He was floored but I'll tell you a secret. If he knew the restoration cost that much....he'd chew my ass off. I think the watch only cost a couple of hundred dollars new and that kind of expenditure chafes his depression era sensibilities.

Depression era sensibilities? :g: He is 60 years old which would make him born in 1947. The depression era was in the early 1930s and the economy was recovering by the end of that decade. Your pop is a member of the baby boom generation which arrived during and after WWII. He grew up in one of the most prosperous eras in recent history, the 1950s. Perhaps his depression era values were implanted by his parents who would have experienced the depression. Regardless, it is good that he can appreciate a nice Rolex replica gifted by his thoughtful son. ;)

I keep wondering if my Dad will love or hate my rep when he sees it... I've thought of buying him one for his Bday in April, but I'll have to see hoe he reacts to mine... He would love a rolex, but he also wants one to support the fact that they sponsor sailing and skiing event's we've been in so yeah, buying a rep sortof defeats that purpose....

That is a nice gesture Joe, I couldn't tell you how many times I set out to buy my Father a watch only to fall in love with it on receipt and so add it to my collection :blush:

Ken

Trust me, I almost kept the thing when i opened it up to inspect it!

Depression era sensibilities? :g: He is 60 years old which would make him born in 1947. The depression era was in the early 1930s and the economy was recovering by the end of that decade. Your pop is a member of the baby boom generation which arrived during and after WWII. He grew up in one of the most prosperous eras in recent history, the 1950s. Perhaps his depression era values were implanted by his parents who would have experienced the depression. Regardless, it is good that he can appreciate a nice Rolex replica gifted by his thoughtful son. ;)

I think you're mixing my post (and my father) up with crystalcranium's father ;)

I keep wondering if my Dad will love or hate my rep when he sees it... I've thought of buying him one for his Bday in April, but I'll have to see hoe he reacts to mine... He would love a rolex, but he also wants one to support the fact that they sponsor sailing and skiing event's we've been in so yeah, buying a rep sortof defeats that purpose....

I felt my Dad out a few months ago on the topic to see what he thought (while showing him my then new Breitling GT rep) and he had no problems with owning a rep. I picked the 5517 because he had owned one in the 60s that he bought from the ship's store when he was in the Navy for - get this - $100. He sold it to a friend thinking he would just buy another one at the ship's store and they stopped carrying them. He always regretted it and this was my chance to get him his 'Rolex' back.

Nicely done, Joe. I'll bet your dad is enjoying the "reunion", especially since it came from you. My dad is also a watch nut (he's the one who got me into the hobby back in the early-mid eighties) and I just bought him a watch case/watch winder for his birthday.

It's always nice to be able to share a hobby with "the old man"!