When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Prepped For Prime Time

ubiquitous

After some problems developed with my 16610 (dial lume fell out, minute hand got bent, etc. etc.) I finally got the old Sub back together, and ironed out the troubles. I took advantage of the downtime and did some work on the case- rebrushed the lugs (front and back) and refinished the bracelet/clasp. Polished everything up and tightened the SELs to fit the case better.

Now, it's back on my (right) wrist for some stress testing. So far, so good...

191551-4796.jpg

191551-4797.jpg

191551-4798.jpg

Still not enough to overthrow the Daytona for daily wearer though :lol:

191551-4799.jpg

Some days I toy with the idea of getting rid of my 16610... And I must admit that I was very close to listing this one recently for lack of wrist time. However, my recent time spent working on it has rekindled the flame... I'll hang onto it for just a while longer ^_^

Thanks for looking.

All the best...

R

Great looking watch, Ubi! Good to see this guy back in action. B)

Every rlx collector needs a 16610. There is just something about the Sub that looks & feels great on the wrist. I would keep this guy if I were in your shoes.....it doesn't take up much space. :) Those deep cases aren't easy to come by today and it's better built than the new crop.

Thanks gang... Kind of nice to have this one back on the wrist. I was asked about the list of ingredients as of current... Here's how it breaks down:

-Case/Crystal/Bezel are of unknown origin... Has some very distinct features that relate to TW Best and some MBW, but also some that neither seem to have. Wish I knew more about it... I'd like to get another one.

-Genuine 16610 bezel insert

-Genuine crown and tube

-Replacement hands of unknown origin... Found them in my parts box and just decided to use them :)

-Noobmariner dial

-Noobmariner caseback

-Noobmariner SEL bracelet

-CG's filed

-Lugs rebrushed

-Bracelet and clasp refinished

Think that about does it.

It's a neat piece... But it's just not a Daytona :)

Hey Ubi, why the Noob caseback ?

I went with the noob caseback as it actually had the engravings inside (the original back did not). Typically, such detail is not of concern to me, but since I had both, I figured why not? Shortly after initially posting the completed watch, another member had alerted me to the fact that his noob caseback had a slightly better shaped back than his MBW. After comparing the two myself, I found that mine was the same- Slightly different shape in profile (taller). So... Another added benefit by chance :lol:

I went with the noob caseback as it actually had the engravings inside (the original back did not). Typically, such detail is not of concern to me, but since I had both, I figured why not? Shortly after initially posting the completed watch, another member had alerted me to the fact that his noob caseback had a slightly better shaped back than his MBW. After comparing the two myself, I found that mine was the same- Slightly different shape in profile (taller). So... Another added benefit by chance :lol:

I had to check this out on my TWBC, and low and behold the Noob caseback is indeed slightly better. So on it stays!

Guest RiverwindMDS
Thanks gang... Kind of nice to have this one back on the wrist. I was asked about the list of ingredients as of current... Here's how it breaks down:

-Case/Crystal/Bezel are of unknown origin... Has some very distinct features that relate to TW Best and some MBW, but also some that neither seem to have. Wish I knew more about it... I'd like to get another one.

-Genuine 16610 bezel insert

-Genuine crown and tube

-Replacement hands of unknown origin... Found them in my parts box and just decided to use them :)

-Noobmariner dial

-Noobmariner caseback

-Noobmariner SEL bracelet

-CG's filed

-Lugs rebrushed

-Bracelet and clasp refinished

Think that about does it.

It's a neat piece... But it's just not a Daytona :)

Your work is really perfect man.

Just take a look at the MBW I'm selling, I think it is the really same case you have in your Franken. Let me know.

Guest RiverwindMDS
Hi Marco...

Based on your photos, I believe the cases are very similar, if not the same :) Mine had originated from a non-MBW dealer...

Now I don't know if I'm selling it anymore...