When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Else Have A "tweener" Wrist For A Strap

crystalcranium

My preference for comfort is a bracelet because I can wear it loosely without it looking strange. I also love the classy dress elegance of a fine croc strap but they always present me with a problem. My wrist always seems to fall between the punched holes, one being too tight and the other being too loose. I think a loose strap looks silly but I dislike a strap cutting into my wrist. To further complicate the problem, heat and how much salt last night's Chinese food had in it seems to change the equation as well but never into a perfect fit. Today I have on my GT with a genuine Breitling strap to 4 holes and it's cutting a bit into my skin, but three holes and this giant watch is flopping around. When it was on the speed bracelet, loose looked cool. OCD.....maybe.

Do you strap fans prefer them tight or loose and has anyone else experienced the same fitting problem?????

It depends on what kind of strap and watch you are wearing. Breitling genuine calf strap and rubber strap will fit my wrist well when paired to a Navi but not to an Avenger. In the case of PAM strap, let's take for example an MPXI strap and GeF strap. MPXI strap has closer and more hole counts and it will fit well to my wrist. However, the GeF strap has lesser number of holes and the distance between holes are further. Therefore I've experienced the same problem as you.

My preference for comfort is a bracelet because I can wear it loosely without it looking strange. I also love the classy dress elegance of a fine croc strap but they always present me with a problem. My wrist always seems to fall between the punched holes, one being too tight and the other being too loose. I think a loose strap looks silly but I dislike a strap cutting into my wrist. To further complicate the problem, heat and how much salt last night's Chinese food had in it seems to change the equation as well but never into a perfect fit. Today I have on my GT with a genuine Breitling strap to 4 holes and it's cutting a bit into my skin, but three holes and this giant watch is flopping around. When it was on the speed bracelet, loose looked cool. OCD.....maybe.

Do you strap fans prefer them tight or loose and has anyone else experienced the same fitting problem?????

I do not know too many people who do not have 'tweener' issues... for one thing wrist sizes tend to change with the weather. For me that is a big deal. I had a link removed from a watch not too long ago but we had a warm day last week, and it was cutting into my wrist for that day. Under the best of circumstances, bracelets are either uncomfortable (too tight) or a bit 'floppy' on me.

Straps I tend to wear on the tight side because they are pourous and expand a bit to fit my wrist regardless of the tempeture and humidity.

So do steel straps. I find loose in the cold morning and tight in the warm evening.

Interesting... I have not noticed that.. at least to the extent I have with leather...

Interesting... I have not noticed that.. at least to the extent I have with leather...

We had an unusually warm December in the Northeast US and I was in my jeweler's store on a 74 degree day with high humidity and she told me she couldn't size rings for anyone that day because the temperature was so warm, compared to the day before, that everyone was swollen and ring sizes that day were meaningless.

My wrists and fingers are like barometers and thermometers.

I just have no concept of the "soft leather strap". Tight is tight to me. I just took off my Bentley and I have a deep impression in my wrist...but one hole looser and the watch is too loose.

We had an unusually warm December in the Northeast US and I was in my jeweler's store on a 74 degree day with high humidity and she told me she couldn't size rings for anyone that day because the temperature was so warm, compared to the day before, that everyone was swollen and ring sizes that day were meaningless.

My wrists and fingers are like barometers and thermometers.

I just have no concept of the "soft leather strap". Tight is tight to me. I just took off my Bentley and I have a deep impression in my wrist...but one hole looser and the watch is too loose.

By way of clarification, I have noticed that wrist and by extension, finger thickness will change with weather conditions in fact that is what i meant in my post actually, sorry if it was unclear ... But, I have not noticed that stainless steel or precious metals do the same... at least not to the same extent... but it is probably due to my lack of observation.

What you say about the leather strap makes sense.. but for some reason, my straps seem to adapt to my wrist more easily than the metals do.. maybe it is a state of mind

I find this with pam straps all the time, no mater what the weather they are either to loose or to tight, i have made holes between holes in the past and then they are fine, but i can never make them the same as the original elongated hole. I might buy or make a punch for it!

By way of clarification, I have noticed that wrist and by extension, finger thickness will change with weather conditions in fact that is what i meant in my post actually, sorry if it was unclear ... But, I have not noticed that stainless steel or precious metals do the same... at least not to the same extent... but it is probably due to my lack of observation.

What you say about the leather strap makes sense.. but for some reason, my straps seem to adapt to my wrist more easily than the metals do.. maybe it is a state of mind

Well, at least body parts and straps/bracelets are expanding and contracting in the same directions.

Lunchtime check...4 holes and comfortable...low sodium diet!

Well, at least body parts and straps/bracelets are expanding and contracting in the same directions.

Lunchtime check...4 holes and comfortable...low sodium diet!

Congrats on 1000 posts!!!

i think everyone has this problem to some extent...it can be a bit nerve-racking when spending $100+ on a nice strap.

the best thing i've found (particularly with pam straps) is to find one strap that you like the way it fits and measure several distances (see my attached picture), and if the strap you are ordering has matching distances and a similar thickness, it should fit the same (kind of common sense, but a good way to think about it)...

193458-4414.jpg

I was thinking the exact same thing today at work, the strap just felt too tight, so I tried pushing the watch closer to my hand on the wrist. I seem to get this a lot though, it never seems to be "just right".