When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Too Many Complications?

Corgi

Hi everyone.

I am searching for a new watch, and have narrow my choices down to a few... up high on the list is this stunning Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar dress watch. The timepiece itself has 6 added complications aside from the regular time-telling ones (Date, Day, Month, Year, 24hrs and Sun-Moon Phase) and runs on a ETA 2836-2. I really like it, but I'm wondering if the movement may be prone to problems seeing as how it has all of these complications to deal with. I was wondering if any watch experts could 'weigh in' and tell me if its as risky to buy something like this as, say, a 7750v2 Daytona.

194068-4303.jpg

194068-4304.jpg

194068-4305.jpg

Are buyers of this watch looking for trouble, or are the modifications acceptable judging the proven robustness and reliability of the popular Swiss-made 2836-2?

I have had great luck with these types of movements. On your watch in particular, you might want to rethink that Patek. The watch is a pretty obvious rep. The real Patek is a chronograph, not a day date movement. There is no authentic watch of any brand that has big pushers for a day-date movement. If you want a good (acurate) complication, take a look at the VC's.

Regards.

No problems at all with these as at most there is only one action in a 24hr period. I have a couple of these types of watches and they have never been a problem.

Your bigger problem will be pulling off wearing a replica of a watch that sells for six figures. Stunning, yes....believeable....not when you drive up in your Ford!

There's a new one of these on the bay for $105,000

Your bigger problem will be pulling off wearing a replica of a watch that sells for six figures. Stunning, yes....believeable....not when you drive up in your Ford!

There's a new one of these on the bay for $105,000

I DEFINITELY agree with crystal. In fact, I dont even think rep Patek's should be made, nor would I ever wear one. They pull away from your credibility, and the credibility of the entire replica world.

I DEFINITELY agree with crystal. In fact, I dont even think rep Patek's should be made, nor would I ever wear one. They pull away from your credibility, and the credibility of the entire replica world.

OTOH 99.9% of people will never heard of Patek Phillepe, and just go "cool watch!"

Do you want it 'cause you like it or you really want people to believe you own the gen? I could care less as long as it runs well and looks nice.

In my opinion these "perpetual" replicas are an insult to anyone with a little horological knowledge <_< Sure I have bought one of these and was happy for a day or two until the year indicator got stuck :animal_rooster: but I feel true shame to have once beleived that I could fool myself into wearing one of these in public :bicycle:

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. The thing I like about this watch is just simply the way it looks, and the fact that I really could use a dress watch - by that I mean something yellow gold with a leather strap.

I've had an eye on this piece for a long time, as it just looks absolutely, positively fantastic. The truth is that nobody knows what a Patek Philippe is - and if even if someone should vaguely recognize the name - non-enthusiasts would be unable to know their outlandish prices (since most of these individuals think the most expensive pieces are exclusively Rolex...)

I'm having a big problem trying to decide which watch to get next. I've been debating between this, a two-tone navitimer, a two-tone submarine with blue face, a rose gold omega deville, and some kind of Daytona. All of them have something I like... but this is really unique, and while I certainly am not a sheik or movie star, I think it would be a fun piece to have in my collection 'just for the heck of it'. Also, it's the lowest price of my selections... though in terms of everything, its biggest current rival is the TT sub in 14K gold. Beautiful.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. The thing I like about this watch is just simply the way it looks, and the fact that I really could use a dress watch - by that I mean something yellow gold with a leather strap.

I've had an eye on this piece for a long time, as it just looks absolutely, positively fantastic. The truth is that nobody knows what a Patek Philippe is - and if even if someone should vaguely recognize the name - non-enthusiasts would be unable to know their outlandish prices (since most of these individuals think the most expensive pieces are exclusively Rolex...)

Im 100% with you. I ordered a pretty similar one

195022-3939.jpg

No idea how accurate or believable it really is, but it looks nice and has a swiss movement.