When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'closed Factory' 2892 Based Smp

r11co

In their reply to the 'little white lies' thread..

Some members pointed out that the 2892 we used does not resemble the 2892 they know... The seagull 2892.... Now the seagull 2892 is thicker than the swiss 2892...... We disregard that cos we placed the thickness of the watch ahead of the movt looks..

This was the first time I'd heard it suggested that the profile of the Seagull ST-18 was thicker than the ETA2892 movement of which it is supposed to be a clone. I didn't think any more about it, until today I was looking at a picture of a standard Omega SMP that I could determine was genuine because it had shallow 'low-profile' caseback. Reps of this model always had an ETA2824 movement which is 1.2mm deeper than the Omega calibre 1120 movement - necessitating a deeper caseback which is a good 'tell' of the rep.

The only rep SMP that didn't suffer this flaw was the 'closed factory' 40th Anniversary 007 SMP which initially came fitted with a genuine ETA2892-A2 - which is identical to the calibre 1120 in thickness - and latterly with a Seagull ST-18 clone. Both these watches had the shallower caseback fitted. I strongly suspect that A+J's 'excuse' for not using the Seagull movement in their B+R rep because it was thicker than the ETA2892 is a 'mistake' on their part. I am sure both movements are the same profile.

I know members here have worked on these watches (MVB, The Zigmeister!) I know some even have both movements in their posession. I for one would appreciate this confusion being sorted out!

yeah when i read A & J's post, it did occur to me, but it something that i didn't want to question on their post.

But, looking back when i did do a breakdown of that seagull movement, I think it was the same height - almost identical specification. When my head watchmaker had a look, he was so surprised that they managed to replicate the 2892 so well that he said he wasn't sure if he should be impressed or frightened. I then brought in the replica 6497, and he almost fainted. haha

the finish all the asian replica movements are poor- the gear train are inferior and the metal is questionable.

I'm sorry R1cco as I don't have the seagull 2892 with me in the states so i won't be able to tell you exactly, but i remember that they had the same height and width. alot of parts were interchangable too. hope this helps.

I'm sorry R1cco as I don't have the seagull 2892 with me in the states so i won't be able to tell you exactly, but i remember that they had the same height and width. alot of parts were interchangable too. hope this helps.

Loads! :thumbs: Something didn't sit right with me about the comment on the ST-18 as I'm sure I'd even read a non-rep watch forum report on it commenting on how similar it was in dimensions and design to the 2892.

A+J's assertion is totally contradictory to all other information we have - including your eye-witness!!

If its not the same hight its very similar and as Rou has already said alot of the parts are interchangeable, but the quality of the finish and material is lower than the ETA.

196228-3027.jpg

196228-3028.jpg

Quickest tell for those that may not know is the regulator is riveted on the st-18, some reps (omega ATs) even have ETA 2892 stamped on the main plate but they have a riveted regulator :mellow: