When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help Needed: Radiomir Crystal Replacement

Pugwash

I just spoke to Mrs Pugwash on the phone and she asked me if I can fix her PAM183 as the crystal cracked overnight. Now, I told her I'd be able to do this as it doesn't sound like the most difficult thing in the world, but now I need help with the specifics.

Where can I get a replacement crystal that fits a Silix $110 Radiomir?

What tools will I need?

Would it be better just replacing the watch outright?

I might have the one I took off my 183 still...

Now that would be ideal. What do you want for it?

pug, this can be done by hand as it goes in pretty easy but i'd reccomend at least spend the $25 and get a cheap crystal press off ebay. check with the dealers here and see if they can get you a crystal.

I need a crystal press as it is ... Does Birdman sell them here?

You can easily replace the crystal. Davidsen may make one. But do it one better - buy her a Swiss movement radiomir. Does she know it is an Asian movement? :lol: If she likes Gold, try the 231.

I suggested replacing the 183 and she said she'd prefer just getting a replacement crystal. Yeah, I know. :D

Why not just use the search button? ( See even the old hands get it!!! :lol: )

But , yes Puggy, Birdman has had them from time to time.

It was a rhetorical question as I've already fired him off a PM. I need to know if his metal or nylon press is better. :D

Go the nylon Pugs, they just feel "nicer" than the brass, ( I have both) I use my brass for caseback pressing, but invariably use the nylon for crystals... my 2 aren't interchangeable... the brass is screw on, the nylon is a press fit.

Offshore

Sorry, couldn't resist the "search" shot!!

Get her a new one anyhow. Surprise her for Valentines Day. Do they have that over there?

British settlers took St. Valentines Day to the US in the 19th century, so we've had it in Europe for a while. The feast of St. Valentine was first decreed in 496, for instance. :blink:

I would buy her a new watch, apart from she'd be annoyed I spent money on something she already has when she would rather it went towards our moving house. In a few months, we will have zero disposable income and you may well see me putting watches up for sale just so we can eat, so I can understand. :mellow: