When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Lug Threads On Ss Luminor Strip Very Easily?

Category 5

Planning on my first PAM...a 111. I might even get a Gen, but I am terrified at the possibility of the lug threads getting stripped. I have heard reports of people stripping screws, so I am guessing they are much softer than the case (on purpose) to avoid stripping the actual lug threads themselves.

So how rational is my fear? I polan on changing straps a lot, so I'll be putting the threads to the test. Also, I saw extra screws on ofrei.com but they look incorrect in the pictures. It looks like there are two screws on the ofrei ones, rather than there being threads on the post itself which tighten into the lug hole.

Where can I get some good extra tubes and screws of decent quality and (assuming I get the gen) ones that won't cause damage to the case of the watch?

What happens if the watch's threads get stripped? Does that mean a new case is the only correct fix?

Thanks!

P.S. Where is a good place to get those sort of ragged, suade like straps. I haven't seen them in the dealer pages I've been lookg at. Also I heard Davidsen had deployment claps but don't see them in his directory. Where do I look?! Sorry for all the questions.

Planning on my first PAM...a 111. I might even get a Gen, but I am terrified at the possibility of the lug threads getting stripped. I have heard reports of people stripping screws, so I am guessing they are much softer than the case (on purpose) to avoid stripping the actual lug threads themselves.

So how rational is my fear? I polan on changing straps a lot, so I'll be putting the threads to the test. Also, I saw extra screws on ofrei.com but they look incorrect in the pictures. It looks like there are two screws on the ofrei ones, rather than there being threads on the post itself which tighten into the lug hole.

Where can I get some good extra tubes and screws of decent quality and (assuming I get the gen) ones that won't cause damage to the case of the watch?

What happens if the watch's threads get stripped? Does that mean a new case is the only correct fix?

Thanks!

P.S. Where is a good place to get those sort of ragged, suade like straps. I haven't seen them in the dealer pages I've been lookg at. Also I heard Davidsen had deployment claps but don't see them in his directory. Where do I look?! Sorry for all the questions.

the screws aalways strip, never the case so it's a matter of getting a few screw sets from almost any strap dealer or ofrei sells the correct ones also. nice suede type straps are at TC straps

I have also been thinking about this issue. How come the screw is worn out? I thought it should be possible to screw in a a screw houndreds of times without destroying the threads? And once it is attached such a robust construction should last for a life time, compared with weak construction of regular spring bars that regular watched have?

And secondly, do all pam reps have the same threads? And are they the same as the gen?

I have also been thinking about this issue. How come the screw is worn out? I thought it should be possible to screw in a a screw houndreds of times without destroying the threads? And once it is attached such a robust construction should last for a life time, compared with weak construction of regular spring bars that regular watched have?

And secondly, do all pam reps have the same threads? And are they the same as the gen?

I ordered some gen Screws for my Pam001 and they work great! That being said no, not all pam have the same threads but, most of them do 85-90%

the screws aalways strip, never the case so it's a matter of getting a few screw sets from almost any strap dealer or ofrei sells the correct ones also. nice suede type straps are at TC straps

Thanks Flav. I found the starp I am after on TC's site like you said. Too bad it's a bit expensive. I also love the vintage looking starps too, but again they are a fortune (comparativley). Now I see why Bob straps are so popular. They are cheap! I guess I'll try a few from him and see what the quality is like.

My wife is actually talking me into the gen at this point. She makes a very compelling argument! "First you get the rep, then it's not good enough so you need a service...then you want better glow-in-the-dark stuff...then you need a new dial and hands. After $600 you decide it's time to spend the bucks on the real thing. Let's just get the real thing now and use the $600 bucks to go to vegas".

...so not only did she talk me into considering a gen, now she's got me a plane to vegas in 2 weeks! Marriage ain't all that bad!!!!

I would add that although I do not own any Davidsen's of more than 20 PAM's, only two of the 20 or so PAM's I have had a subsequent thread stripping issue. And neither were new. I always wondered how the owners changed straps. :lol:

Probably they didn't ;)

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased a pam 252 and the threaded lug at the 6 o clock position is buggered up. I went to change the strap and discovered it. It looks like it was drilled out for tapping and then was drillled out for the screw side about 50% depth by mistake. Hole diameter is same as the screw side to start. This is what buggered up the threads. When I removed the screw that threaded portion was cut off shorter to let the screw appear to be recessed. The threaded portion is half of the 12 o clock screw.

It was basically rigged to pass QC. It is not worth the hassel of sending back, and the rest of the watch is perfect.

My question is ...does anyone know the tap size that I can purchase to clean the remaining threads in the hole? I would like to run the tap thru the remaining good material, clean up the remaining threads and get it functional vs. just pushing the screw in and hoping it stays. I also ordered spring bars to use if I can't get corrected.

Thanks for the help,

JR