When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1570 & 1570 Gmt

thl

Hi,

I was asking to myself which is the difference (if it exists) between these two movts.

I mean if I have a 1570 can I upgrade it to a gmt, something like using the 2836_2 day wheel, or the difference is much important than this?

Thanks to all.

THL

Rolex made two movements in the 60's-late 70's. A 1575 date and a 1575 gmt with date. And they were labeled 1570, which is the base movement they are derived from. A straight 1570 movt wouldn't have the date feature, and if it has a date feature, it is technically a 1575 movement. The 1575 date and 1575 gmt are of course slightly different, with the gmt having the extra 24 hour hand.

Can you modify a 1575 date movement into a 1575 gmt? I would think it is possible, but since these two movements have been out of production for 25 years and parts availability is always an issue, I would think that it wouldn't be cost effective. And of course, then you'd be building an expensive Frankenwatch, and I'm not sure if it's worth the expense at that point. Sometimes, it's better to just go buy the right watch, like a vintage 1675.

Rolex made two movements in the 60's-late 70's. A 1575 date and a 1575 gmt with date. And they were labeled 1570, which is the base movement they are derived from. A straight 1570 movt wouldn't have the date feature, and if it has a date feature, it is technically a 1575 movement. The 1575 date and 1575 gmt are of course slightly different, with the gmt having the extra 24 hour hand.

Can you modify a 1575 date movement into a 1575 gmt? I would think it is possible, but since these two movements have been out of production for 25 years and parts availability is always an issue, I would think that it wouldn't be cost effective. And of course, then you'd be building an expensive Frankenwatch, and I'm not sure if it's worth the expense at that point. Sometimes, it's better to just go buy the right watch, like a vintage 1675.

Thanks for your response, I think I'll go looking for the right watch.

Have a good day.

THL