When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What To Get?

icedtheater

I've been reading some on this forum and wonder if I should get a replica watch. If I were to go with a replica, it would be a Rolex version as they seem to be the closest in terms of looks to the real thing. The two I was looking at was the W-2041 AUTOMATIC ETA 2836 FOR MAN 16610LV SO CALLED PERFECT SUBM from WO-Mart for $149, and the RLST10002 14K Wrapped TT Blue Dial Swiss Eta 2836-2 from WatchWindersWorld for $258. Is the one from WWW really worth $109 more than the one from WO-Mart?

I also wonder on how long they will last. I would want something that will stand the test of time, as I'm not sure how easy it would be for someone to service it. At least with a genuine *not Rolex* I could take it to the AD and get it serviced.

If I went with a genuine, I'd be looking at these watches for the most part: Accutron Gemini 26A09 or 26A10, Oris WilliamsF1 Team Day/Date, Ball Fireman or Ball Inspector.

My current nicest watch is a Seiko Coutura SNP007. I also own a Calibre pocket watch, a Casio Wave Ceptor and a really really bad Rolex that I bought in Mexico. Here is a pic of the Rolex.

198607-2222.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Nice GMT-Master... I suppose this is the version with the correct hand stack? :lol:

Your choices for first-buy seems to be sensible.. It is a basic, bulletproof eta-movement and quite trustworthy dealers.( even though Paul at wo-mart is getting mixed reviews) .. The gold plating on the two-tone watch will wear down eventually, buth the current plating is much better than previously.

There's an old saying around here in the rep world, "Stick with stainless steel and you can't go wrong." Buying a TT sub is OK, but you just have to be ready to buy a new bracelet when the original one wears thru. Probably the crown and bezel would hold up better and not be a problem on the watch itself. Also, you need to check how the the gold plating returns down the sides of the two center end links where the bracelet attaches to the watch itself. In the past this has been a bad detail where you had gold on the top of the center links and the sides were ss. This is a dead giveaway to your bracelet being gold plated.

Paul's "Perfect Sub" ain't perfect, but it is a good deal, all things considered.

You also have to consider with mechanical movments they will eventually have to be serviced to maintain accurate time . At the very least on any movment (etas, gen rolexes... etc) every 5 years or so. I have also found that most non-dealership/ brand affiliated watchmakers who are willing to work on reps (which is really a matter of luck finding one) are more willing to work on swiss movtments rather then asian... so i would recomend making sure the movment you are getting is bonafide swiss if in the future you want to get it serviced localy. apart from that ,stainless would be a safe bet for better ware over time.

• 1 year later...

There are some good dealers out there. Search and look at the dealer reviews and the reviews by some of the esteemed elders of this board. They have a ton of experience in dealing with all kinds of watches and dealers. Also please consider joining the forum as a supporter. It unlocks a great deal more information and will save you a ton of money on the back end. Happy Hunting.