When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Overrated Reps Of All Time?

chad

Just curious what everyone thought....

My vote is for any thing that davidsen makes...

The dial fonts are terrible!!!! and the font on the panerai watches is such a key thing in a simple classic dial.

I admire his desire to make a better watch but come on...

Board members have even scanned dials for him and tried to give him font suggestions to no avail.

Others?

The dial fonts are terrible!!!! and the font on the panerai watches is such a key thing in a simple classic dial.

Have you ever held one of his dials next to a gen? Just asking, like.

I'd say (and this is even after buying two) that the most overrated are the MBW/WM/etc watches. Yes, they're amazing and everyone needs to own one once, but the hype surrounding them is unbelievable.

I can confirm several facts to clarify this:

1. They do not turn base metals into gold
  2. A Bangkok Best 1680 did not save President De Gaulle's life
  3. Jesus was not wearing an MBW DRSD when he turned water into wine
  4. The cases are not infused with shards of the Spear of Destiny
  5. They do not repel sharks

Anything with a first generation Asian 7750 movement. These reps wire all the rage when they first came out, and commanded premium prices...but were built around crap movements that failed 50% of the time.

I'd say (and this is even after buying two) that the most overrated are the MBW/WM/etc watches. Yes, they're amazing and everyone needs to own one once, but the hype surrounding them is unbelievable.

ROFLMAO

come on Puggy tell us what you really think

:thumbsupsmileyanim: very funny

come on Puggy tell us what you really think

They're good. Very, very good. But the glow of awe around them put me off for a long time.

If you're buying one for a watch, it's a little pricey. Good, but not $450 good.

If you're buying one as a base for mods, it's the only game in town, and it's a damned good game. :D

I have seen one in person yes and from a few feet I can tell there is something wrong...

This flaw does not take a keen eye.

My non-watch person friend wanted a PVD panerai so I showed him some of the davidsen ones online...he RIGHT AWAY asked what was wrong with the dial and said it did not look like the one he had seen at tourneau only ONCE. That the type looked "chinatown"

Edited by chad

Agreed on the big bang...although I love it

All the hype with the posts....not mentioning mechanical problems, why go to all that trouble with the case when you cannot print the dial with the numbers and markers lined up.......sad sad sad....

MBW & the big bang (fug & everyone had issues w/ it)
Edited by chad

No question an MBW. Lousy replica out of the box. Iconic mythical status but a Noobmariner is closer to the genuine article.

Kinda like having a genuine Moonwatch as your Holy Grail. Do you really want a manual wind acrylic crystal watch as your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?????

Kinda like having a genuine Moonwatch as your Holy Grail. Do you really want a manual wind acrylic crystal watch as your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?????

Not sure about your point here...There are countless people who have 6263 Daytonas at the end of their rainbows.

Not sure about your point here...There are countless people who have 6263 Daytonas at the end of their rainbows.

The point is that many people, and I'm talking about casual watch lovers who want more than a Seiko on their wrist but who don't know the dirt in the details, see the Moonwatch as the be all and end all of toughness, surviveability and desireability only to be dissappointed to learn that it's a plastic crystal manual that is really very simple and modest in construction and capibilities. The MBW carries with it a similar mythic desireability among rep collectors until you read the fine print that it's a very inaccurate replica out of the box. I was seeking to make a parallel analogy, not impune the value of acrylic crystal manual wind watches in general.

The point is that many people, and I'm talking about casual watch lovers who want more than a Seiko on their wrist but who don't know the dirt in the details, see the Moonwatch as the be all and end all of toughness, surviveability and desireability only to be dissappointed to learn that it's a plastic crystal manual that is really very simple and modest in construction and capibilities. The MBW carries with it a similar mythic desireability among rep collectors until you read the fine print that it's a very inaccurate replica out of the box. I was seeking to make a parallel analogy, not impune the value of acrylic crystal manual wind watches in general.

Ahhh, gotcha!

I think that inaccuracies of the MBW/WM reps are the reasons why they continue to maintain their mystique. They require work to achieve (near) perfection. If they were perfect, right out of the box, everyone would have one, and the appeal (part of which is based on "exclusivity") would diminish.

Edited by avitt

Ahhh, gotcha!

I think that inaccuracies of the MBW/WM reps are the reasons why they continue to maintain their mystique. They require work to achieve (near) perfection. If they were perfect, right out of the box, everyone would have one, and the appeal (part of which is based on "exclusivity") would diminish.

Agreed; the appeal for me was the ability to put my work and effort into mine. Chasing down parts is also a good portion of the fun.

Now that I think about it, it's why I enjoy this hobby as much as I do. If things were perfect out of the box, the fun (for me) would be gone...

Guest RiverwindMDS
Agreed; the appeal for me was the ability to put my work and effort into mine. Chasing down parts is also a good portion of the fun.

Now that I think about it, it's why I enjoy this hobby as much as I do. If things were perfect out of the box, the fun (for me) would be gone...

i think the same...

Hands down, the most overrated reps are the H series PAM manual winds--even some of the most anal retentive of my fellow anal retentives are so star struck (by sandwhich dials is my guess) that they seem to overlook the instant-tell CG, the thickness difference, etc.

I've always read that, as ubi said, MBW's are the best modders platforms...I don't recall any knowledgable collector ever claiming anything beyond that. Also, for a long time, they were the only vintages and non-hole moderns available. I think that's when they achieved their mythical status. But, yes, like most hard to get items, the reality can never measure up to the hype..

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the DW 6263 with the mystery movement. What a piece of crap that is. Looks great but just about unwearable. Sometimes it winds, sometimes it sets, sometimes the stem comes out and the chrono hands fall off. What a dissapointment. I have never modded a watch. I prefer to wear them just as they come and it is impossible to wear this watch without replacing the movment. The 6363 isn't even heavy enough to be a paper weight.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the DW 6263 with the mystery movement. What a piece of crap that is. Looks great but just about unwearable. Sometimes it winds, sometimes it sets, sometimes the stem comes out and the chrono hands fall off. What a dissapointment. I have never modded a watch. I prefer to wear them just as they come and it is impossible to wear this watch without replacing the movment. The 6363 isn't even heavy enough to be a paper weight.

^^^+1

Absolutely one of the most atrocious movements ever sold in a rep. The cause of much grief and consternation.

Edited by avitt

No question an MBW. Lousy replica out of the box. Iconic mythical status but a Noobmariner is closer to the genuine article.

a relation of mine has a gen moonwatch, history counts for more than cash value and 'bling'

i'm no expert but i've seen many top quality watches and only a few have had the same buzz around them

How bout the 1st generation Fiddys? The 1s with the RXW casing & crystal & old style 6497/1 movement?

OK, so maybe everyone was well aware of its many flaws, but there was enough demand that this piece of rep history was commanding 500+ bucks a pop for the 1st couple months of its release.

You couldn't givem away for $60 these days...

Edited by Shasta

Daytona with seconds at 6 - very pricey and unreliable... luck of the draw if you get one that will work a while without an immediate service! Weren't they going for $1k or so at one point?

Also, the Bell & Ross BR-01-92 Instrument 46mm with the junk "ETA 2892" movement and the fake stamped screws on the back, not forgetting the "superlume" :rolleyes: