When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'new' Swiss Eta 2824-2 Coming From Andrew

OrangeSpoon

first thanks to The Zigmeisterzumba for his very informative guide to the various movements out there (posted by jonthebhoy), it really hammered home the importance of looking after these reps even if they aren't gen

i have an Omega PO 42mm with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement coming soon from Andrew

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...;products_id=25

my two questions are (assuming it looks to be a rep of good enough standard to care):

1. with my very limited experience, is it worth me buying the correct tool and opening up the case and checking the movement against online pictorials? or will i just end up fitting the case back incorrectly and screwing up the job?

2. how soon should i consider getting it serviced to ensure i get a good lifespan out of the movement? i suppose this depends on what the actions of question one find out about the movement ;)

thanks for your advice

P.S. i am interested in getting into the mechanical details of movements and servicing if that has any bearing on your advice :)

There may be a chance that you could remove the case back with a rolled-up wad of duct tape. Some of these case backs are not screwed on very tightly. If that doesn't work, it's a good idea to invest in a proper case opener which would prevent sratching or damaging the case.

When the case back is removed, apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the rubber O-ring as they are usually bone dry. Make sure the rubber ring is properly seated in its groove before installing the cover and you shouldn't have any problems. This will go a long way to keeping moisture out of the movement. Also, clean the crown threads (usually dirty) and apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the rubber crown seal.

As to servicing the movement, I would leave it be (at least for a while) if it runs properly and keeps good time. However, most of these movements can be dirty and/or dry so a service is a worthwhile investment assuming you decide to keep the watch for the long term. BTW, don't manually wind the ETA, instead, rock the watch back and forth on your palm to get it started and let the wrist do the rest.

Enjoy the new toy! :)

If your thinking of doing your own work, then investing in a case back tool, is a good start. A LG case opener with the rolex dies is only $60 or so, and well worth it...unless your completely inept, you won't ruin the case by opening it...

If the movement is working good, leave it alone, take the Time Zone watch making home study course, and when your done, you can service it yourself...

RG

thank you very much to both of you for the advice

i think The Zigmeisterzumba did mention in his movements descriptions that you can wind the Swiss ETAs slowly and its worth doing so when you first receive them (only the once mind?)

have i got this right or are there differing opinions out there?

thanks and sorry if i am incorrectly paraphrasing

first thanks to ziggyzumba for his very informative guide to the various movements out there (posted by jonthebhoy), it really hammered home the importance of looking after these reps even if they aren't gen

i have an Omega PO 42mm with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement coming soon from Andrew

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...;products_id=25

my two questions are (assuming it looks to be a rep of good enough standard to care):

1. with my very limited experience, is it worth me buying the correct tool and opening up the case and checking the movement against online pictorials? or will i just end up fitting the case back incorrectly and screwing up the job?

2. how soon should i consider getting it serviced to ensure i get a good lifespan out of the movement? i suppose this depends on what the actions of question one find out about the movement ;)

thanks for your advice

P.S. i am interested in getting into the mechanical details of movements and servicing if that has any bearing on your advice :)

Hi Tester,

I bought some watches from him, and seriously, I can't imagine you would find anything else but an ETA.

How ever, if you ever want to buy case openers (Jaxa specially) please make sure you buy the highest quality.

I [censored]ed some case back of my Rolex using a cheap HK tool before getting Bergeon finaly.

Cheers

Stephane

Hi Tester,

I bought some watches from him, and seriously, I can't imagine you would find anything else but an ETA.

How ever, if you ever want to buy case openers (Jaxa specially) please make sure you buy the highest quality.

I [censored]ed some case back of my Rolex using a cheap HK tool before getting Bergeon finaly.

Cheers

Stephane

thanks Stephane, i will bear your advice in mind :)