When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help: Vintage Sub Crown Guards

Pugwash

I'm currently modding the crown guards on my 1680 Sub and am in dire need of advice. As you can see from the photos, I'm trying to get a more accurate shape, but I don't know if I'm just turning my fancy watch into a lump of scrap ...

Experts, how much more do I need to remove? Am I being way too conservative?

200261-1816.jpg

200261-1817.jpg

200261-1818.jpg

200261-1819.jpg

200261-1820.jpg

If there are angles you need to see, I'll reshoot as needed as long as it'll help me get this right.

You might want to remove some from the inside. Not too much,,just to square it off like from the pic below.

Thanks. I wasn't planning on touching the insides much until I get a new crown/tube as to get in there, I need to take the tube out.

Apart from that, it's ok?

ps. This is my first attempt, so you're allowed to say it's crap if it is.

Plenty of experts, it's just an old boring topic. :)

Your watch is definitely not scrap, and I'd say you're being too conservative. The slope on the outside needs to be steeper, and the insides need some removal too. But you're probably right to hold off on the insides until you can have the gen crown sitting in there as a reference.

Hey Pug, when you start on the inside of the guards, use a set of jewelers files. They are the right size for working in a tight area, try to square them up a bit more.

Something like this

200839-1657.jpg

I really wouldn't mind it if you sent it to me and then I could do the crown guards for you, that way I could test it for a few years, you know, just to make sure they look ok...

Hey Pug, when you start on the inside of the guards, use a set of jewelers files. They are the right size for working in a tight area, try to square them up a bit more.

I used jewellers files on this, but didn't touch the inside as the crown tube is in the way. :D

Thanks for the advice. The inside definitely needs doing, you're right.

I think I'll refrain from sending it to you just now, though. :Jumpy: