When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Screwed Up Trying To Fix A Bond Gmt Bezel - Argghh...

UConn Ron

Well, how's this for a first post... I've gotten a great sub from Andrew and decided to get a Bond GMT (gotta love the diver's bezel and GMT hands in the same watch). Anyway, it came in today and after reading about how the bezels need to be fixed, I had By-Tor's tutorial on the screen and ready to go. RWG has been a great source of information and I haven't had anything new to add to the discussions until now with a lesson learned about being too anxious!

First mistake - working on it in my office (I've already got too many other toys, so watches are my "secret" hobby) with black and white carpeting because the watch looked so good, I wanted to go ahead and do the mod so I can start wearing it.

Second mistake - not following instructions of others to hold a bowl underneath to catch parts. I taped up a butter knife (no case knife) and pryed off the bezel. I thought - great job, no damage and I got it cleanly off.

Then, guess what? I was looking for the bigger spring mechanism like in By-Tor's tutorial and spent about 15 minutes on the ground looking for it. After that, I hit the forums again and discovered there was the 2 piece setup with the tiny insert and tiny spring.

I looked around again another 15 minutes and decided it was hopeless (I don't know how some of you guys were able to find them in the vacuum cleaner or behind a couch :huh: . So, here's where I can use some help...

1. Does anyone know where I can get the insert and spring? I looked at ofrei and saw these two:

>Omega supplied bezel clickspring with each new bezel sold that uses a bezel clickspring. This is a replacement bezel clickspring that works with bezels 082SU1361, 082ST1361 OME-129ST0510

>Omega Bezel Clickspring 129ST0512 For cases CLICK-SPRING 1681613/23 OME-129ST0512

2. If I'm able to get the parts, how do I reassemble it?

Does it go spring first, then the insert, and then press the bezel on? Any hits on alignment there or is it pretty much self-aligning

Anyway, I'm hoping I don't need to get another one. Even though it's got the solid caseback, I think it's a great watch. I may even need to get the gen. ;)

Thanks for any help that you guys can provide!

-Ron

Well, how's this for a first post... I've gotten a great sub from Andrew and decided to get a Bond GMT (gotta love the diver's bezel and GMT hands in the same watch). Anyway, it came in today and after reading about how the bezels need to be fixed, I had By-Tor's tutorial on the screen and ready to go. RWG has been a great source of information and I haven't had anything new to add to the discussions until now with a lesson learned about being too anxious!

First mistake - working on it in my office (I've already got too many other toys, so watches are my "secret" hobby) with black and white carpeting because the watch looked so good, I wanted to go ahead and do the mod so I can start wearing it.

Second mistake - not following instructions of others to hold a bowl underneath to catch parts. I taped up a butter knife (no case knife) and pryed off the bezel. I thought - great job, no damage and I got it cleanly off.

Then, guess what? I was looking for the bigger spring mechanism like in By-Tor's tutorial and spent about 15 minutes on the ground looking for it. After that, I hit the forums again and discovered there was the 2 piece setup with the tiny insert and tiny spring.

I looked around again another 15 minutes and decided it was hopeless (I don't know how some of you guys were able to find them in the vacuum cleaner or behind a couch :huh: . So, here's where I can use some help...

1. Does anyone know where I can get the insert and spring? I looked at ofrei and saw these two:

>Omega supplied bezel clickspring with each new bezel sold that uses a bezel clickspring. This is a replacement bezel clickspring that works with bezels 082SU1361, 082ST1361 OME-129ST0510

>Omega Bezel Clickspring 129ST0512 For cases CLICK-SPRING 1681613/23 OME-129ST0512

2. If I'm able to get the parts, how do I reassemble it?

Does it go spring first, then the insert, and then press the bezel on? Any hits on alignment there or is it pretty much self-aligning

Anyway, I'm hoping I don't need to get another one. Even though it's got the solid caseback, I think it's a great watch. I may even need to get the gen. ;)

Thanks for any help that you guys can provide!

-Ron

Sorry I cannot help with your delimma, but it seems to me that you are paying the tax on rep watches.

Today it's replacing a small lost part, next time its a dial, relume or even a movement.

Welcome, brother!

Ofrei's Genuine Omega bezel components will not fit the replica. They are meant to replace a genuine Omega Bezel assembly.

from what i have gathered, what you can do is cut off a springbar, use the tip as the click insert, and the spring inside the springbar as the replacement spring. The size and length you will have to work out yourself.

Best of luck.

You mean that tiny cylindrical piece that is stepped even smaller on both ends and an itty bitty spring that both sit in a hole? I have a spare. PM me your details and I'll send it to you. Use a bit of silicone grease to 'stick' them together and in the hole so they don't come out when you try to put it all back together. The spring goes into the hole first, then the pin. Then snap the bezel back on flat.

Edited by krustybrand

You mean that tiny cylindrical piece that is stepped even smaller on both ends and an itty bitty spring that both sit in a hole? I have a spare. PM me your details and I'll send it to you. Use a bit of silicone grease to 'stick' them together and in the hole so they don't come out when you try to put it all back together. The spring goes into the hole first, then the pin. Then snap the bezel back on flat.

WOW!! Just checking through the forums today and saw that Krusty is helping out a fellow member.. AGAIN!!!! This morning he sent me a spare link for my Omega PO bracelet, Now helping out with a spring? Couldn't ask for a more stand up guy. Thanks Krusty!!

DK

WOW is right. You guys are great! :D

Krusty - I'll send you a PM. I hope I can be as helpful to someone else as I learn the ropes and start building more of the collection.

Patience really is a virtue. Next time I'll need to get my "clean room" in place so I don't lose anything. I've got too many hobbies already, but I can tell this is going to get addicting.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Ron

• 1 year later...
WOW is right. You guys are great! :D

Krusty - I'll send you a PM. I hope I can be as helpful to someone else as I learn the ropes and start building more of the collection.

Patience really is a virtue. Next time I'll need to get my "clean room" in place so I don't lose anything. I've got too many hobbies already, but I can tell this is going to get addicting.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Ron

Hey... I just saw this post.. where can I find that post by By-Tor about fixing the bezel on this watch?

• 3 weeks later...

Next time, just heat the bezel up with a hair dryer just enough to soften the adhesive beneath the insert, then slowly reposition the insert to the right alignment(bezel high spot lined up with the indices)...This usually is a very small adjustment of a few degrees.... and there is no necessity of removing the bezel to do it...I know this because I did mine YESTERDAY!! :p;) ;)