When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta 2834-2 Spacer Ring For 2824-2 Franken

stilty

I figured I would post a few pics showing the enlargement "spacer" ring that I used on my EX-1.

I used the enlargement ring from an ETA 2834-2 movement. ETA adds this ring to the movement to accomodate the day disc. This brings the movement to a 13''' or 29mm diameter. I had to carefully file the ring down to fit in the genuine case. You will also have to file a bit off the top of the ring, as it has a small lip that is used for dial support. This ring fits the movement perfecty, as it is molded for the movement. It is definately not very pretty to look at, but it works very well.

Here is movement in case secured with case clamps. You also have to file a bit of room so the case clamps can fit in case.

201541-1516.jpg

Here is a shot of the movement out of case:

201541-1517.jpg

and another:

201541-1518.jpg

with dial attached:

201541-1519.jpg

And here is the movement that I am going to use for my next project! ETA 2892-2 movement that is in 28.5'''. No need for a spacer ring! Notice the beautiful finish! And the size of the rotor and how well it fits in the case.

201541-1520.jpg

I need one for a 15000 Franken I am putting together, and fabrication tips?

You can order one from Julesborel, and most likely Ofrei. I haven't checked with Ofrie, but see them listed on Julesborel website. If you are in Europe, I beleive another member is putting together a group buy. Check in the parts trading section.

As far as tips, I can give you tips on what I did to fit in a 3135 case. It is easier to file/sand down the ring while it is attached to a movement. I got mine from an old 2834-3 that I salvaged. Don't file down at the movement you are planning on using! You will definately get it full of dust and it will require a full service!

I took a little bit off at a time with a fine file until I had proper diameter and it fit snuggly in the case. Be careful once you start getting closer to the fit as the material is brittle, almost like a very hard rubber compound. Just take your time.

Once I had the diameter, I had to take some off the top of the ring, as the ring also acts as a dial support for the 2834-2, carefully file it down. until it is flush with movement. Again, easier to file when installed on movement, just make sure you use an old dead movement.

The next step is you have to take some off the top edge of the ring in order to fit in the case. I filed to top edge of the ring at 45 degrees and about 1mm in. This is because the 3135 movement is in steps. where the dial sits, and the top part of the 3135 is 28mm, then the 3135 steps out to 28.5mm. I don't have a machine to bring the top part of the ring to 28mm, so that is why I just filed at 45 degrees. Just enough so the ring sits in the 28mm opening, below the dial. The easiest way that I did this, was I installed an old dial that I salvaged from another watch that was 26.5mm. I used that old dial as a guide as to how far I file to.

The last step is you have to file in notches to fit the case clamps.

This is how I did it to fit in a 3135 case. For your 15000, I think that is a 3035, so the fitting may be slightly different.

Hope this helps.