When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attention Franken Builders!

stilty

Hey fellow frankenjust builders!

Check out these NOS Mido watches that have the 12.5''' ETA 2892-2 movements in them! They are on the bay.

CLICK HERE

I'm going to get a couple for future projects. I am working with one now that I got out of an old watch, but it requires a service which will get done when the new cannon pinion, hour wheel, and fourth wheel arrive.

I've test fitted this in a genuine 16220 case with an old dial... it requires a spacer between dial and movement in order for stem to line up, but the good news is, you can overlay a genuine or aftermarket datewheel.

Keep in mind when looking at pictures, that these are test fittings. datewheel not firmly attached or 100% aligned... etc.

Here is a pic of movement in case. I had to file down the case clamps in order to fit. Just look how perfect that movement fits in the case!

201607-1490.jpg

Here is a pic of the movement with aftermarket overlay and spacer attached to dial. I'm not too happy with the aftermarket overlay. The printing is terrible. Would like to find a genuine if I could. I just need to figure out a way to firmly attach the dial to movement. I also replaced the datewheel with a 2824-2 datewheel as the larger diameter datewheel would rub against my dial spacer. I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem if you found another type of spacer.

201607-1491.jpg

Here is another pic... look at the diameter of the original datewheel.

201607-1492.jpg

201607-1493.jpg

Here is it is assembled. No hands installed as I'm waiting for new cannon pinion, hour wheel, and fourth wheel. Again, look at that crappy printing on the datewheel. I bought it from wholesaleoutlet990 on ebay. I'm thinking of sending it back as it was guaranteed to not be able to tell from genuine. The printing is bleeding more than my jawbone! (I had to have one of my wisdom teeth extracted today - gotta love Tylenol 3 w/ codine though)

201607-1494.jpg

But now the test fitting is done! date wheel turns over with no problem, crown lines up perfectly and screws down smooth. Super high quality SWISS movement. I've read reviews that rate the 2892-2 to the 3135. The winding on this is great! The larger diameter movement and rotor add some weight and definately give a move genuine feel to the watch. I can't wait for my parts to get in, source a proper datewheel, and complete the final assembly. The finished project will be a gift for the wife!

My watch smith has a few NEW old stock available. True 2892 silver.

Me think he would part for about 150 shipped.

He was selling for 125, but he upped the price due to the overall price hike world wide on ETA movements. Plus he needs a cople for parts.

No service needed, except maybe an oiling.

Not used in need of parts.

I am running one in my Air King for 2 years, still+3sex per day. Awsome movement.

He takes PayPal.

PM for details.

I know this takes the fun out of it, but path of least resistance is sometimes welcomed. :punk:

Note that this is a 2892 ETA, not a 2892-2 or the newest version, the 2892A2, there is a big difference between all these models, with the 2892A2 being the newest version and the best so far. The A2 was developed to correct the defects with the previous versions.

The 2892A2 was the one compared to the 3135, not the earlier versions...

This 2892 is over 20 years old, something to consider when comparing prices etc.

RG

There's no doubt that the 2892 is a good movement, but man that's a lot of work to fit it in there. I think I'd be inclined to stick w/ the 2824-2 and a spacer ring.

That William Marshall store in Germany had some other nice watches for sale. I especially like the Omega Speedmaster with the modified 7751 triple date movement and white dial.

Also note that this movement is not the same as a ETA 2892, the ETA is 11.5 ling, the 12892 is actually larger at 12.5 ling...a different animal made especially for Mido...it's not an ETA, but a custom model, getting parts could be difficult as you have to order 12892 parts, not 2892 parts...

RG

Hey Zig,

Thanks for the correction on the A2 comparison.

Believe it or not, but I spoke with Bob at Ofrei, and he actually helped me out. He at first told me that it is not his job to answer my type of question, but he did do a reference check, and said all parts based on 2890 series, with the exception of a few, are interchangable. So far, they are. I've swapped out a cannon pinion and hour wheel from an ETA2892-2 into the mido and no problem, unfortunately, they were too short for my needs and I ordered them from Ofrei. I also swapped the date driving wheel as the the one on the mido was slipping and not turning the date wheel. And just for fun, the driving wheel from a 2824-2 fit as well. So far so good. The only part I haven't tried is the fourth wheel. I'll leave that up to a professional to change.

And yes aligoat, it is a bit of work... but that is really the fun part of it all! If it was easy, it would be boring. Trying to figure out a way to make something work, and getting it to work is just as satisfying as the end product.

• 3 months later...

Stilty,

sorry same questions.

Like delivered from Masterwatcher,

do this Mido 12892, accept standard 2836 hands?

Do you know the high measure of the spacer from movement and dial to fit in 16000 case?

I yet ordered one . ;)

Thank you in advice.

Nico

Stilty,

sorry same questions.

Like delivered from Masterwatcher,

do this Mido 12892, accept standard 2836 hands?

Do you know the high measure of the spacer from movement and dial to fit in 16000 case?

I yet ordered one . ;)

Thank you in advice.

Nico

The hand fitting size is the same. I have not fit this in the 16000 case so I don't know the spacer size.

Edited by stilty

Sorry again Stilty,

B)

Way do you changed cannon pinion, hour wheel and fourth wheel ??

Nico

they have to be changed to a taller fitting height in order for the hands to clear the dial markers, especially since you have to add a spacer between the dial and movement.

they have to be changed to a taller fitting height in order for the hands to clear the dial markers, especially since you have to add a spacer between the dial and movement.

thank you 4 the replay Stilty.

Opssss!! :animal_rooster:

So, I have to do (at my watch man) the same with mine ........

Do you have the correct ETA parts numbers?

Thank you.

Nico