When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dvd Weekend...!

Guest TTK

Had a long weekend of watching some new DVD's I picked up......some from Japan and Korea.....re-mastered etc etc......great quality....!

I had the privilege when I was flying home on Emirates of watching.....Eisenhem - The Illusionist........a fantastic film....Edward Norton as usual in superb form.....totally believable......Paul Giamatti excellent as Chief Inspector Uhl.....but for me...Rufus Sewell as Crown Prince Leopold was absolutely outstanding.......I could quite literally and figuratively see him as a genuine Austro - Hungarian prince.....fantastic acting job....allied to a great story.....a fin de siècle murder mystery thriller.....all in all a highly recommended film.

Followed by a re-cut of Barry Lyndon......33 years old movie....and still a cinematic masterpiece......Ryan O'Neal's crowning glory......what happened.....!

Then The Wicker Man......hmmm.......Nicolas Cage......I suppose it helps being related to Coppola.....and he'll be able to pay the rent.......just came over as the usual TV movie....BTW......why in every bloody movie...is he always popping PILLS...... it supposed to make him believable.....?

Hollywoodland.......good movie.....Adrian Brody......being Adrian Brody again........Ben Affleck....did a good job of George Reeves........surely this performance can't hurt in his escape from all that J-Lo [censored] and Daredevil mince that he got caught up in......after Dogma......he went to hell in a spiralling descent of turgid cinematic dross......!

Finally......The Painted Veil......by Somerset Maugham.......once again a sterling performance by Norton......( seems he can do no wrong....altho' The Italian Job was questionable ).......aided and abetted by a not unattractive Naomi Watts.......a beautifully shot cinematic travelogue of Shanghai and China in the mid 20's........good movie....!

.......And I took my youngest daughter to Hot Fuzz...........which is [censored] btw! Well......maybe not totally [censored]............but a lot [censored]. In fact I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Barry Norman I'm not but I hope you get the message.

JTB

If you are interested, here's their site.

A lot of talk about Ghost Rider....schmost rider...Cage is by far the most over rated actor ever.......every performance is exactly the same.......he comes on screen....looking like a......like a......like a......well......horse.....and is just about as intelligble....!

I've only seen one Hollywood movie that has captured the essence of the original comic book character(s).....Sin City...!

Next weekend's movies...!

A Midnight Clear

House of Games

Blood Simple

La Reine Margot

The Duellists

:D:

Finally......The Painted Veil......by Somerset Maugham.......once again a sterling performance by Norton......( seems he can do no wrong....altho' The Italian Job was questionable ).......aided and abetted by a not unattractive Naomi Watts.......a beautifully shot cinematic travelogue of Shanghai and China in the mid 20's........good movie....!

Yeah. I've been thinking about watching that movie just for Naomi Watts. She's quite a lady who has the glamour, class and beauty of the old movie stars. Definitely not a typical Hollywood skank.

And I agree about Norton. Great and versatile actor.

This weekend I watched Taxi Driver for the 57th time along with One flew over the Cuckoo's nest and a great new movie The Departed. Highly recommended. The other two, well just trying to give my new girl a bit of culture. She is stuck on watching dumb chick flicks with terrible acting and predictable stories. How many times can you watch Legally Blonde?

Watched 'The Prestige" last night..........good film.......but nowhere near the overall quality of 'The Illusionist".........overly complex plot.....and not as cinematic....( Bale's Cockney / Scouser accent was dreadful.......[censored] van Dyke on steroids..)....wotcha guv.....cor blimey....!