When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean Bracelet

tbintexas

I've been seriously looking at the 45mm Ultimate Planet Ocean's lately to compliment by Beginmariner which I purchased recently. I love my Sub rep, but the one thing that I wish was better was the feel of the bracelet - it feels sharp. I know there are ways to sand/polish/grind this down and I'm testing things out with the links that I removed before destroying the ones currently attached to the case!

On to the Ultimate PO's - how is the bracelet 'feel' of these watches? Are they close to gen feeling, or are they too in need of 'adjustment'? I remember reading Andreww's review saying that the bracelet was good and heavy, but I can't remember anyone else mentioning this.

Now, if I could only decide if I want black dial with orange numbers or orange dial! Decisions, decisions... :)

thanks in advance!

TB

I've been seriously looking at the 45mm Ultimate Planet Ocean's lately to compliment by Beginmariner which I purchased recently. I love my Sub rep, but the one thing that I wish was better was the feel of the bracelet - it feels sharp. I know there are ways to sand/polish/grind this down and I'm testing things out with the links that I removed before destroying the ones currently attached to the case!

On to the Ultimate PO's - how is the bracelet 'feel' of these watches? Are they close to gen feeling, or are they too in need of 'adjustment'? I remember reading Andreww's review saying that the bracelet was good and heavy, but I can't remember anyone else mentioning this.

Now, if I could only decide if I want black dial with orange numbers or orange dial! Decisions, decisions... :)

thanks in advance!

TB

Bracelet = :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(Just to reitterate what everyone else has already said)

Just out of interest... whats the difference that makes everyone say "almost"?

Apparently, the endlinks are fractions of a millimetre wider than genuine, which means that substituting the rep strap for a gen on a gen case would require a tiny amount of filing.

Also, the engraving on the clasp has some ridges you can feel - but nothing that a good polish wouldn't fix.

In summary - the rep strap isn't as well finished as gen, but that is something fixable with a bit of labour....

I'm no expert but the rep Rolex bracelets don't seem to have the same kind of quality feel to them that the Omegas' do.

That's because Rolex bracelets don't have the same feel as Omegas. As with the rep, so with the gen. Rolex bracelets feel cheap and light, but are much more comfortable because of it.

The ultimate PO and bracelet way a ton. My wtch wearing arm is now 2" longer than my other arm!!! Of all the wathches I have it is the most uncomfortble to wear, gen SMP being the most comfortble. Saying that it is not annoying or anything, just not as "smooth" as other watches! (Not sur ehow else to describe it!) I think the most obvious thing i can see wrong with the bracelet is that the first gap on the brcelet is little too big but you'll only notice this if you look for it!

There are a couple of minor annoyances with my PO but the bracelet isn't one of them. It's a quality piece (although the clasp doesn't lock with as much authority as I'd like) and very comfortable, although the watch itself really is quite heavy and that may be an acquired taste. Still, if you can get an ETA one for around $180 shipped from the better value dealers, this is probably the best value/quality/accuracy rep you can get right now.

Btw, an excellent comparative review of gens by one of the best writers on the subject, John Holbrook, Jr.:

http://rolexreferencepage.com/SDPO/sd%20vs%20po.html

@kanerich: Great article (although a bit biased), thanks for the link. I agree that this guy John Holmbrook is a great writer, despite being a hardcore Rolex fanboy. And his "Daytona vs. Broad Arrow" comparison is great. I borrowed his review style when I did the rep TAG vs. Omega comparison. I think it's very good idea to put "rivals" like this against eachother.

PS: Thanks to your link I went to the gen watch forums for the first time in ages...and found this. Apparently not all people liked his biased review:

http://watchtalkforums.proboards26.com/ind...read=1170743876

@kanerich: Great article (although a bit biased), thanks for the link. I agree that this guy John Holmbrook is a great writer, despite being a hardcore Rolex fanboy. And his "Daytona vs. Broad Arrow" comparison is great. I borrowed his review style when I did the rep TAG vs. Omega comparison. I think it's very good idea to put "rivals" like this against eachother.

Holbrook actually runs a Seamaster page and rated the SMP over the Sub. Still he likes his Rollies, I'm not going to pretend that's not true! But his reviews are a great service to the internet WIS community and he's written for all kinds of forums and magazines and owned about a zillion watches. So I respect his opinion and I don't think its fair to characterize him as a fanboy. If you read his "why I collect Rolex watches" FAQ -- I think he makes a fair case that he's an enthusiast, not a Rolex fanatic. And it's worth noting that he has said often that he thinks Omega is the best all-around luxury watch brand when you factor in value.

Oh right, Ultimate PO bracelet. Really good, although frankly rep bracelets seem to all be getting good these days (except Rolex, because the gens aren't that great to begin with). Benefits from a little Cape Cod when you first get it. [censored] to size.

The only problem I have with my Ultimate Edition PO is there's a slight gap on the clasp when I shut it. Maybe it's just my luck or I'm just nit-picking.

No. Mine does that too. When the genuine springs for the PO clasp become readily available I will swap one in, exactly as I did with my 'closed factory' SMP. It is the one upgrade I would prioritise above all others.