When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some New Watches - Long Overdue Pictures

Steve G

Ok so I've promised some pictures and these are the latest acquisitions, the wife was upstairs working and watchiing American Idol and I "borrowed" our dinning room table for some time with watches and camera. Pictures are so-so as I'm still messing around with the photography thing.

First up:

Chanel J12 Chronograph

Ok so I know what you're probably thinking...why did I buy this watch. I suppose traditionally it's a girls watch, however the chronograph offers the largest size and is most masculine obviously in black. I have to admit the whole ceramic thing interested me, seemed unique plus it really doesn't look half bad and works in a casual way. Chronograph movement work via Japanese quartz movement (Battery and Quartz are foreign words here :rolleyes: ) The sad thing is that this watch will probably out live all of my other reps.....

So basically this was the $200 version that came complete with one very nice box set package....

206501-417.jpg

Two booklets in multiple languages describing functions and how great the watch is blah blah blah. Also one warranty card for you to fll out and send in to Chanel I suppose :D

206501-418.jpg

The subdials offer "ticking" seconds at six with no fear of slippage. Running minutes at nine and tracked 24 hour time at three. The really neat thing is how the large second hand travels in reverse when resetting the chronographs...and guess what it resets perfectly all the time :D Ok enough sarcasm. Actually the gen obviously does not use quartz movement thus this being an obvious flaw.

206501-419.jpg

Now for what matters...the ceramic. First off I'll start by saying it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet, especially in black as you see by the above pic. But it's really really good compared to the gen. I actually tried on a gen Chrono in Chanel and overall weight and feel are dead on. The black sort of has an irredescent sheen to it in certain light, but subtle. The watch does have nice feel on the wrist and is quite comfortable and heavier than you think. Not Panerai heavy but heavier than you think.

206501-420.jpg

Overall I'm real happy with it. Not sure how much I'll wear it. Being quartz and all but maybe it can be passed down to my wife. Actually she prefers the white, which by the way my sister-in-law owns. Also nice and very true to the gen as compared in a Chanel Store.

My advice to anyone interested...DO NOT buy the more expensive version. I really don't think the extra cost is justified as they come with the same flaws and the ceramic probably isn't visilbly better. The watch sort of slips under the radar of most people, it's well built and comes in an attractive box set that screams give me as a gift.... and for a reasonable price.

Next....

Cartier Pasha Seatimer

206501-421.jpg

Another fashion house watch..but a nice one. The same day I went looking at Chanel I strolled into Cartier and tried this one on. The rep has the same feel and weight and crown for that matter. A crown that really sucks to try and use...too small and hurts your fingers if you attempt to wind it manually. So I just shake it violently....kidding of course. I see my picture shows the watch has lint all over it especialy the dial. Anyway..the dial is not 100% accurate as the "hook" of the 2,6,9 should curve upwards more...but I really don't care. Again just something different to wear.

Next....

Breitling Chronomat Evolution "Ultimate"

206501-422.jpg

There is really nothing else to say about this one other than its freakin awesome. Might be the best rep I own next to the Planet Ocean Ultimate. Great AR, bracelet, etc. I choose the graphite dial, yes I know that the subdials shouldn't be black. But you know what the contrast looks great to me, isn't that noticable and the graphite dial is forever changing colors depending on the light...kind of like the bond seamaster. Great watch and works perfect in all it's 7750 glory. This one has been covered way too much lately...so let's move on.

VC Overseas

206501-423.jpg

This is another favorite of mine..so much so I sold my older version to buy this one. Let's just look at for a while..seriously I had a tough time choosing white or black dial, but for my lack of white dials I went for it. Cross is too small and date window not right, but I've never seen a gen and suck at doing mods so this is as good as it gets.

Lastly....

IWC FA Jones

206501-424.jpg

206501-425.jpg

The only IWC I have and probably will. Just something timeless and classic about it...love the blue hands, which are perfect and as of now show no signs of scuffing. Notice the abysmal rep strap...it's going, a much better honey brown croc is on the way. Honestly the strap that comes with this watch is its biggest shortcomming.

So there you have it...figured I'd put some of the latest up, practice with the camera a bit and provide some info on mainly the Chanel as many threads have popped up regarding it. Hope you enjoyed and weren't too bored with my ramblings.

Peace

This makes me want that Vacheron Constantin Overseas! It's gorgeous!

Not unlike your furniture, which I must say, is very class and opulent... did you shop at Sears HomeStore?? It looks like they're kind of patterns...

Thank you...furniture was purchased through a dealer I met while visiting a company in Lousiana. He gave me a real good deal..however wife mostly picked it; cherry wood with marble inlays on the table.