When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Danger: Enter At Your Own Risk

Watchwatcher

I was infected over a year ago when Nanuq put up a couple pictures of his Sector Diving Team 1000M...

So ever since I've been scouring for one on the cheap and after watching a number of them go by on the 'bay in various configurations, this one came up and I just couldnt take it any longer...

...anyhow, for those of you who didn't see my review of the Sector APNEA, I'll repeat my comment that while 'Sector' is not what you would consider a luxury brand, it has during its history come up with a couple really decent watches that are affordable, uniquely designed and are becoming increasing collectable. For years the Diving Team 1000M was arguably the flagship of the brand, although it was discontinued about 5 years ago -- why, I do not know.

Sector had made a considerable investment in its branding effort by sponsoring a number of 'extreme' sportsmen (and women) known as the NO LIMITS Team, such as Umberto Pelizzari, who has set several records for 'free diving' which involves diving under strictly controlled conditions while holding his breath.

The Sector Apnea in my collection has an inscribed signature of Umberto Pelizzari, although this DT1000 does not -- there is however a limited edition version of the DT1000 with a more orange face, of which 700 units were made which does have the UP signature.

DETAILS:

MFR: SECTOR

MODEL: Diving Team 1000M/3300Ft

Case width: 42mm

Width incl crown: aprox 46-47mm

Thickness: 20mm

Bracelet width: 20mm

Face: yellow/3 subdials/date window

Case/bracelet material: Titanium -- case&bezel sides are polished, top of bezel, lugs and bracelet are matte.

Movement: Swiss 7750

Bezel: 1-way ratchet rotatable

Unusual features: while the sapphire crystal on this DT1000 must be at least 6mm thick, it also has a cyclops on top, i have not seen a cyclops on many other DT1000s, although I was told that it is oem.

Observations: I do not like thick watches (i.e. thicker than 12mm), but this one does not feel anywhere as thick as it is, perhaps that is because it is titanium and therefore you do not notice the weight and it does not pull at your wrist. It feels like a much smaller watch.

The movement keeps excellent time, with no noticeable loss or gain during the first week of operation. Each chrono pusher has an interesting looking nut which screws out to allow operation. The watch box comes with a tiny wrench (spanner) that can be used to loosen the nut if necessary -- more like a gimick although kind of humorous.

Bottom line: very chunky looking and surprisingly comfortable dive watch... this is a fascinating and fun watch which will only grow in scarcity as those remaining in circulation find their way into collectors hands.

210856-16724.jpg

210856-16725.jpg

210856-16726.jpg

210856-16727.jpg

210856-16728.jpg

210856-16729.jpg

210856-16730.jpg

Edited by Watchwatcher

ken, when i started watching these 18mos ago, i saw a few go by in the $700-800 range, but they showed wear consistent with age. over the last couple months, i have not seen a DT1000 chrono with yellow or orange face go for under $1200. i have seen the non-chrono date version at the $600 level and some of the less popular dial colors (blue, black, silver) for $800-1000. This particular one was in mint condition, not a scratch on it, virtually never worn and i felt i paid a fair price which was a little more. if you want a great 1000M titanium diver, this is a bargain, and i'd bet they hold their value as they've been out of production for 5 years.

that is very nice! I would pick that one up in a second. The finish looks a bit under par, but not bad for what I would categorize as a tool watch. I can never under stand watch companies,,, I've seen a lot of sectors and none that I liked enough to buy. Why don't they make more of these???

that is very nice! I would pick that one up in a second. The finish looks a bit under par, but not bad for what I would categorize as a tool watch. I can never under stand watch companies,,, I've seen a lot of sectors and none that I liked enough to buy. Why don't they make more of these???

chris--i'd guess that it's my photo skills that are 'under par' :blush: -- sometimes a macro lens shows things which aren't really there... the finish is actually very nice, although, if i had my choice i would get this watch with an entirely matte finish, which in my opinion is ideal for titanium and brings out its bronze/brown nuance vs. stainless. the thing that really makes this one rock is the nice fat domed sapphire crystal which appears to have an a/r coating on the inside.

as for sector watches... i totally agree with you... most of them just don't do it for me, and if i recall a lot of them are quartz, probably competing with low end seiko... i just don't know why they stopped making the dt1000, it is by far the most impressive model they've come up with. here's a link to the review of the sector apnea...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry149201

... ok, here's the update after having this monster on my wrist for over a week. and yes i've worn pams, rollies, etc. etc. so i have a reasonable frame of reference, although admittedly my wrist is medium sized at 7.5-8". the watch remains very wearable... actually amazingly wearable given its dimensions (again thanks to the titanium) and I find it is very readable (excellent lume), crystal does its thing in terms of aiding the viewability of the dial, and best of all, it keeps excellent time, i'm guessing we're within +/-10seconds for the first week. so if you want my vote on best value in 1000M diving watches, i can unqualifiedly give this watch a big 2 thumbs up... very enjoyable tool to have attached to the wrist!

aside from the yellow face, the sector has a completely different bezel and pushers have the nut/bolt configuration which is also one of a kind. bracelet/lugs combo also unique to the sector -- the Ti bracelet is one of the best i've come across. i still think the sector is a much chunkier tool of a watch... but hey, i guess that's why i own it.

aside from the yellow face, the sector has a completely different bezel and pushers have the nut/bolt configuration which is also one of a kind. bracelet/lugs combo also unique to the sector -- the Ti bracelet is one of the best i've come across. i still think the sector is a much chunkier tool of a watch... but hey, i guess that's why i own it.

You don't see nuts and bolts on the SM crown and pushers?????