When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel Glue

Need to glue a new bezel insert into the ring on my noobmariner project and I'm looking for a recommendation. Tried clear craft glue, but it doesn't bond tight enough. Don't want to use epoxy because I'll never be able to get the bezel insert off the ring again. Looking for something in between.

Any suggestions?

Use something flexible, as you'll end up hitting the bezel on things again, and hard plastic cement type glues will crack easily. I use a silicon rubber adhesive, its slow setting so you have plenty of time to adjust things and its very strong. Its also water proof and flexible enough to withstand bumps and knocks.

One hint.. make sure the surfaces are properly cleaned, the old double sided tape leave all sorts of crap behind and handling will leave oils on both surfaces.

Guest avitt
Simple, use GS hypo cement, the same stuff used for crystals. I use it on every new bezel insert that I get, just a few drops and it holds it in place.

Several members, including me and The Zigmeister, recommend against using GS Hypo for this purpose. You can read previous discussion here:

Previous thread covering the same topic

I agree with Logan, that a flexible glue is the best. However, having compared the two, I recommend Shoe Goo over silicone adhesive. Use a few very thin dabs, press the insert into place, and rotate is slightly to spread the glue. Rub off any squeeze-out with your finger. Shoe Goo will do the job.

Guest avitt
I have had nothing but good luck with Gorilla Glue on all my inserts.

Gorilla Glue is fantastic stuff. Buy you'd have to be very careful when applying it to a bezel insert, as it expands considerably while drying. You wouldn't want it to squeeze out the back of the bezel, and keep it from rotating.

Gorilla Glue is fantastic stuff. Buy you'd have to be very careful when applying it to a bezel insert, as it expands considerably while drying. You wouldn't want it to squeeze out the back of the bezel, and keep it from rotating.

Agreed. What I do is use about 12 dabs around the bezel (from a toothpick), and then set my 32mm socket on top of the insert to weigh it down while the Gorilla Glue expands and sets. Should also mention that I always glue inserts with the bezel off the watch, to prevent what you were talking about.

I just replaced the bezel insert on a GMT Master II (with the correct hand stack) that I just got from Andrew. I used Elmer's Stix-All. It's clear, heat and water resistant and flexible. It takes 24 hours to cure completely, so I could glue it with the bezel off, check it and adjust as necessary. The down side is is that it takes 3 days to cure completely and I wanted to wear the watch. I'm very happy with the results.

Scott

PS the dial is much improved over the one pictured on Andrew's website. The R*lex and crown are the correct size and spacing and the II is with serif, so the dial looks pretty good. The bezel was the only big drawback to my eyes.

S

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Just ordered a tube of the GS Hypo and will give that a whirl. I used E600 all-purpose clear adhesive from the craft store and that worked pretty well. Seems like it's just a matter of trying glues until you find one that works well. The trick on this job is finding something with enough bond strength to keep the edges of the bezel insert down tight against the bezel all the way round, while not bonding so tight (epoxy) as to make future removal of the insert impossible.

Thanks again.

BP