When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New dial colors Tag Heuer Link Chrono?

scoobs1971

Just inspected a gen grey Link Chrono at the local AD while wearing the rep on my wrist. So I had the change to do a quick comparison.

I noticed that the color of the gen dial seems different than the rep dial. The rep is all mushroom (light brown) while the gen dial is actually two toned: the subdials and the outer bezel ring are mushroom, but the rest of the dial is chrome/silver.

Is this a new color version or is our

post-4081-1173020670_thumb.jpg

post-4081-1173021096_thumb.jpg

post-4081-1173021464_thumb.jpg

Can't comment since I have never seen the grey dial rep in person. All I know the color of the blue dial version is spot on.

Pic of a gen:

211747-16523.jpg

Can't comment since I have never seen the grey dial rep in person. All I know the color of the blue dial version is spot on.

The blue version at the AD looked exactly like your pic. It's the 'mushroom' version that seems to be different ....

Still love this blue version. Maybe I should get ...... naaaah. :)

I think the phenomenon you are describing is entirely dependent on the lighting. Some have described the opposite effect to what you have seen ie. the inner bezel appears 'pearlescent' while the dial itself looks flat colour.

I've compared rep and gen side by side (in my hands) in identical lighting and I struggle to see a difference, except perhaps that the rep has a slightly glossier finish to the untextured parts of the dial.

PS. TTK's 'beautiful rep' was the exact watch I used for comparison (as he sold it to me :D )

I think the phenomenon you are describing is entirely dependent on the lighting. Some have described the opposite effect to what you have seen ie. the inner bezel appears 'pearlescent' while the dial itself looks flat colour.

I've compared rep and gen side by side (in my hands) in identical lighting and I struggle to see a difference, except perhaps that the rep has a slightly glossier finish to the untextured parts of the dial.

PS. TTK's 'beautiful rep' was the exact watch I used for comparison (as he sold it to me :D )

I have the feeling it was not the lighting. I understand what you mean, but it was very easy to see that the subdials and outer bezel had a really different color than the rest of the dial (brownish vs silver). The grey gen I've seen was definitely 2 toned. If it was a lighting issue my rep should have had the same appearance...

1 month ago I experienced exactly the same when I had the grey gen on my wrist at another AD.

That's why I'm thinking maybe this is a new or changed gen 2tone version? Haven't found anything on the internet though.. Just speculation..

And too be honoust, I really prefer the mushroom color over the silver. Proud to wear my rep! :victory:

The blue dialed version did look like our gen though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I found a few pics of the genuine grey dial Link Chrono. Perhaps these will help to see the possible? difference?

Click the thumbs for full size.

216872-15455.gif216872-15456.gif

Hey, I found a few pics of the genuine grey dial Link Chrono. Perhaps these will help to see the possible? difference?

Click the thumbs for full size.

217000-15435.jpg217000-15436.jpg

I've seen this pic before and I think it looks like our rep with different lighting/color balance. However, at the AD I've seen a version with 2 colors in the dial: our mushroom brown/grey for the subdials and outer beezle and real silver/chrome/metal color for the rest of the dial. It was very clear to see that it consisted of 2 colors while our gen consists of 1 color. That's why I'm thinking they either released a new version or the old version which has been repped is replaced by the version with the new colors. Haven't found a pic on internet to illustrate, but I will keep looking.

Hope that someone here can visit an AD some day and notice the same as I have. Still curious...

Ok, i can help solve this whole mystery. i've been reading for a while, and finally bought the Silver Tag Link Chrono.

ScoobyDoo is correct.

the dial color and shinyness is NO WHERE near the Gen.

I've seen the Gen in Silver and Blue, at 4 different AD stores, so i know what the originals looks like, and held them in my own hands many times.

To me accurate Dial Shinyness/Color is a million times more importartant than crown guards, date window, interior markings, or lume- Minor Stuff that people fuss over wayyyyy too much.

HONESTLY, the first thing i thought when i saw the rep that i bought, is that this forum is a hoax, a marketing scheme to sell the watches.

But now reading more, it really just seems that people never see the Gens in their hand before they buy the rep, but still act like they have.

So my main point is that people should really hold both Gen & Reps in their OWN HANDS before making comments that the reps are so accurate.

Anyone who has held the Gens in their hands would not say the reps are accurate.

I dont mean to sound so negative, but the Rep Silver Tag Chrono would Never pass for real, to anyone who has seen the Gen...

also, The Gen DOES have lume on all the hour markers, the rep does not.

here's 3 pics, they are all Gens. Notice how shiny the dial is.

I'm sorry to spoil the myth of the perfect Rep for you guys :(

But it's just not a shiny dial, and i highly DOUBT the blue face Rep is shiny. is there anyone else here who has held the Gen Blue next to the Rep Blue in their OWN HANDS? And still thinks the Blue Rep is shiny? Please, i would love any input on the blue.

post-4141-1174039791_thumb.jpg

post-4141-1174039898_thumb.jpg

post-4141-1174039908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trojan

Well, the only thing I can say in response to the above is that, like many reps when they have been on the market for a while, the quality must have dropped since the initial batches were released. We already know that pretty much from the offset there have been two versions of this watch offered by different dealers.

I have one of the earliest mushroom-colour dial models (the actual first one Neil/TTK obtained and used for his photographs) which I got about a year ago. The version I have has a heavy, thick walled case that the movement fits into with no spacer, while some dealers were showing a thinner walled case which used a brass spacer to hold the movement. My watch has sat side-by-side with a gen and there is no discernable difference in the colour/finish of the dial. I agree the lume is lacking, but that is an entirely separate issue.

Can you be sure that the one you are comparing is the 'best' version of the rep available?

PS. I've been searching for a post I did way back when I got my Link Chrono on the differences between the two version, with pictures, but I think it might be on old RWG.

here's 3 pics, i think they are all Gens. Notice how shiny the dial is.

thnx Trojan! I have looked for weeks to find a pic to illustrate my point. Your last pics is the most convincing. You can really see that the outer bezel and the dial have a less shiney color (like our mushroom grey) and the rest of the dial is shiny silver. Almost like it

post-4081-1174092784_thumb.jpg

Already told you what I think - pictures will always be inconclusive due to lighting/equipment/angle/processing etc. etc. You are asking people to make judgements on pictures of watches and then expecting that to mean something with respect to the watches themselves.

I completely agree. But these pics illustrate best what I

I agree ScoobyDoo,

The difference is soooo obvious in person- where it matters; pictures are just to help illustrate our point.

Just go to an AD, you'll see, it is far from it

Now that we KNOW that the grey dial is NOT accurate. (not shiny)

Can we move forward in our group to find out if the Blue dial is accurate?

Is there anyone here who has held both GEN & Rep Blue dial? Who can say if the rep blue dial is as shiny as the Gen?

C'mon guys, i'm just like you hoping for 100% reps: but now that i have HELD & WORN the Gen & Rep grey link, i've lost my faith :(

Now that we KNOW that the grey dial is NOT accurate. (not shiny)

Hmm, I still won't eliminate the possibillity that Tag Heuer started with the color that our grey rep is based on and later changed it to the more silverish version. Products are updated every time. In that case our grey dial is accurate after all.

But this is all speculation and I do hope we can find out the facts.

And never give up the quest for a 99,99999% accurate rep :)

Hmm, I still won't eliminate the possibillity that Tag Heuer started with the color that our grey rep is based on and later changed it to the more silverish version. Products are updated every time. In that case our grey dial is accurate after all.

That is a distinct possibility. There are also photographs of genuine TAG Link chronos in circulation that are missing the 'automatic' designation printed on the dial. Before anyone suggests that this is because there are quartz models - the Link Chrono is not and never was available with a quartz movement. Another product 'update' perhaps?

TAG are certainly one of the fastest moving manufacturers in terms of making changes to their models - certainly more frequently than Omega, Rolex etc.

Also, did it occur to anyone that the change was made in response to the rep appearing in order to achieve some sort of distinction?! Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.....

TAG are certainly one of the fastest moving manufacturers in terms of making changes to their models - certainly more frequently than Omega, Rolex etc.

I wonder if we can find a press release or something 'official' to support our hypothesis.. :g: Lemme check this tonight....

Also, did it occur to anyone that the change was made in response to the rep appearing in order to achieve some sort of distinction?!

In that case we will have a rep of a limited collector's item! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I'll drink to that, hahaha :1a:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...