When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ammo Pouch Watch Strap :How to: Modem Burner

I decided I wanted an ammo pouch watch strap, but I don't care for the ones available commercially - and they're pricey :thumbdown:

So, inspired by the posts of others I decided to make my own.

I started with buying these off Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

10 bucks, not bad.

The over all condition of the pouches is good, the stitching on the pouches was in amazingly good shape (considering the age)

Here's pouch I used

212146-16431.jpg

212146-16432.jpg

back view.

I especially liked this pouch because of the embossing, it is important to me to preserve the embossing

I set out pulling the stitching so that I could determine how much workable leather is there

212146-16433.jpg

Just in case you don't know how to use a stitch puller, you just run the point between the leather and the stich, as so.

212146-16434.jpg

I soaked the leather pieces in a large bowl of water in order to help loosen it up. The leather is 50 years old and stiff, but it was more workeable after soaking. It also helped to eliminate some of the odor and dust

212146-16435.jpg

212146-16436.jpg

I wrapped the leather with a rubber band to help work it out

The leather is quite thick so I decided not to laminate it, this would also eliminate the need for stitching, which I prefer in this instance. It also made it very difficult to fold the leather in half.

In order to facilitate the folding, I used three pieces of wood and some deck screws

212146-16437.jpg

I then cut the leather to the appropriate size, uzing the rep strap as a guide. I used gorilla glue to laminate the fold for the lugs.

I then picked up some rivets from the crafts store that had stars on them, I dig em

212146-16438.jpg

Rather than use a buckle, I used a post and a hole. I really like the look of it.

I took the last bit of embossed leather and made a stay with it. Keeping with the no-sew theme, I used copper wire to make some staples. Seen above

I also had to thin the leather out quite a bit in order to get it in the lugs because of the thickness.

Well here it is

212146-16439.jpg

212146-16440.jpg

212146-16441.jpg

212146-16442.jpg

212146-16443.jpg

212146-16444.jpg

-All and all I am very pleased with the way the strap turned out and it wasn't difficult at all. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

-Physher

Its been more than a week now and its held up beautifully, I wore it to gym today and had no issues whatsoever.

The leather has taken some time to loosen up but with constant wear it has as soft and maleable as any strap I've ever worn.

For the copper stitching I punched holes on each side and then ran 3 cm of copper wire through. Then I just twisted and folded the wire down. The sharp points of the cut wire help to hold the stay in place so it won't slide around.

Sorry if that's confusing, I really should of took pictures of that. Once I got going I didn't want to stop to take pics though :tu:

There are constantly leather bits from WWII on ebay, ammo straps, pouches, belts, war ration envelopes. I was amazed at how much surplus can be had for a few bucks.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested...

It has been two months of wear and the strap has broken in nicely. The leather is very flexible now and has lost most of the funky smell.

The post and whole closure is holding up, though the hole has stretched out about 50%

The copper stitching has a nice green patina (ala Statute of Liberty), that I think adds a cool touch

The rivets are all in place and holding firm.

All and all, I am very pleased with the way its performing.

-P