When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerais - the most accurate PAM reps on the market

Chronus

I'm thinking of getting a titanium Panerai... the ones that look good to me so far are jos-nana's PAM036 (or maybe even silix's) and Andrew's custom PAM177.

I believe both have genuine Swiss ETA 6497.

Which one is more accurate? And do any mods need to be done to make them accurate?

Gotta get back to work now... :yawn:

edit: (another 13 hour plus day later)

I'm also trying to decide between 127 (1950) or a 217 (destro)... the 127s seem expensive, and I would think the 217 is rarer.

I am also looking at the 047 - looks good. No pusher on the crown but I can live with that, as that function isn't available on the rep.

Any advice is welcome. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Chronus

Before I do get back to work,

Yes, I know I probably haven't searched enough yet, but I am doing 12 hour plus days at the moment, so all help is richly appreciated :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the 036 is more accurate without a doubt. However, Joshua's, along with some other dealers' 036, all have a misaligned dial issue, meaning the dial is not completely straight. a few members on the board have this watch, and they said they did not mind. good thing about Josh's 036 that he sells, is that it's got non recessed pin, and a great crown. You have to think how much it would bother you with a misaligned dial. and the seconds dial is not centered correctly on the dial also. if it weren't for those minor flaws, it would be the most accurate pam rep yet.

Thanks, that is the first time I have ever heard it had a misaligned dial.

Movement looks spot-on as well.

I am leaning towards this 036, and for the sandwich dial, go for either a 127 or 217... depending on which is more accurate. I don't have any lefties and the 217 is rarer ... but I need to figure out which one is more accurate.

Also on the wish-list are:

PAM187 with ETA 7753

PAM092 Arktos with Asian/ETA 7750 but without the bezel parts falling off!

On the way, or arrived are:

PAM001

PAM111H

PAM183

PAM192

PAM196

Chronus,

with the 217, the engraving seemed to be the problem with a lot of the reps out there. they are often engraved with "officine panerai" like they would do on any other cotes de geneve plating, but since it is a destro, the engrave is reversed. so the lettering should be in the upper left corner, instead of the bottom right corner. every swiss 6497 that I saw that is on the 217 have the engraving wrong. i would say the best bet for sandwich would be the ultimate 1950 with sapphire, or 4th edition. but they are hard to come by, and if they are available, it is often pricey, for a rep. good luck.

Thanks for the info.

I'm a little confused over the 217 though, on the panerai website,

"Officine Panerai" writing isn't upside down, I'm not sure why everyone says it should be upside down!

http://www.panerai.com/s_special_editions...._categoria=4724

Or have OP screwed up?

PAM actually makes "reversed" bridge plates for their 217's. None of the reps have this to the best of my knowledge. Think of it as flipping over the bridge and engraving the other sideinverting the plates. At best, I have found the correct Cotes de Geneve finish but the bridge is either facing the wrong direction relative to the crown guard or the Officine Panerai is "upside down" relative to the 12'oclock position. :)

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to figure it out :huh:

The PAM047 also looks nice, but for obvious reasons, has no pusher in the crown. Instead it has the letters "OP"... are there *any* PAM crowns with this "OP" on any genuine Panerai?

I'm a little confused over the 217 though, on the panerai website,

"Officine Panerai" writing isn't upside down, I'm not sure why everyone says it should be upside down!

http://www.panerai.com/s_special_editions...._categoria=4724

Absolutely correct. In the gen on OP site that writing is NOT upside down.

Anyone able to explain it?

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting an old post but it's worth it, as I now have my proof MWA-HAHAHAHAHA! :bleh:

The "OFFICINE PANERAI" writing is not upside down on the movement and is the same as on the Official Panerai website:

http://images.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

:yeah:

Look at the position of the lever (facing down when writing is in the right direction). And that is true with all gens I have ever seen except for the posting on the PAM website. You figure it out. All I can guess is they showed a prototype with typical historical movement installed rather than correct bridges when they put it on the site. Here is the picture from the PAM site. Compare the picture from the PAM website to the picture above:

66089-33754.jpg

Also 9 times out of ten they misdrill the pin in the CG close to the edge. PAM 127 for those reasons is a better version. I learned the hard way on the 217 myself.

Oh and on the 036 beyond the misaligned dial it should be T swiss T not L Swiss L. Go with the 118 if old school Ti is what you want and 177h if new school. But you will need crown and cannon pinion. :)

Oh and on the 036 beyond the misaligned dial it should be T swiss T not L Swiss L. Go with the 118 if old school Ti is what you want and 177h if new school. But you will need crown and cannon pinion. :)

I've already gone on the 036 and will live with the "L SWISS L". Maybe I'll go for a 176 or 177 in future (with sandwich dial).

I've also gone on the new 127 with working swan neck instead of the 217 :victory:

I agree. 127 is the best of the bunch. Am about to pull trigger on one of the Ti's. Couldn't help myself on Eddies 222 either (will have to cannibalize another watch for case to get rid of pusher on the side). :)

I had just got the 028a in stainless steel for a finepics PVD job (from EL) so I'll have to miss out on that 222 for now. I have too many PAMs already, but am interested in the rose gold 231, the 194 and 187 when they eventually become available to everyone. :thumbsupsmileyanim::bounce:

Yes it's crazy and I can't afford this addiction!

Some I have or on the way, all Luminors so far...

001, 028, 029, 036, 063, 092, 127, 188, 192, 196, 212

All ETA, apart from the Asian 7750b1 092 and the Venus copy in the 192. ETAs 2893, 2892, 6497, 7750, 7753.

I should have put a deposit on a house instead :(

When the 187, 194 is available in ETA 7753 etc it'll get worse :black_eye:

You may have to wait on that 187 then. ;)

Definitely, I'm prepared to be patient on that... have too many watches that need their time :bleh:

Why?

Problem with the wife and/or the land lord?

No gf or wife.

At my age I am still living with family (London is a very expensive place to buy your own house!).

My mother wants to sell this house and move to a smaller one in a different part of London - closer to my brother, his wife and his in-laws. Not the part of London I would want to live in even if they had a room for me.

I guess I wouldn't have been able to afford reps - at least not as many as I have - if I had my own house or was paying rent (I'd rather be an owner ...).

I guess the real world will come up and bite me in the a$$... depressing.

I better go and find a girl and then we can move in together. :rolleyes:

I really need to quit my job and make real money I guess. I'm on about $13 an hour (or so) and my hours have been cut, so less overtime. I'm only doing a maximum 0f 47.5 hours a week instead of the close to 60 I was doing before. That would barely cover rent in a crappy area of London, as well as all the bills, food etc. No point even living on a crappy wage like that, suicide is a better option :lol:

Oh well, we'll see what happens. I should never spent all those savings on watches! :black_eye: