When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

High quality rado replicas?

Spoooooonz

There used to be a member on the old board his name was Colin and his username was something like Pyscomondo, he had the best Rado's I've ever seen on these boards, jtb bought one of him as him for a pic, but I have no idea what became of him sorry.

Ken

Perhaps I am not a xenophobe who would consider using the term "chink" in the first place. :rolleyes:

one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

I hardly think so!

Why would using an abbreviation of a country of origin indicate I am afraid of foreigners... for heavens sake

one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

I hardly think so!

Why would using an abbreviation of a country of origin indicate I am afraid of foreigners... for heavens sake

Since we appear to be using a dictionary:

Main Entry: Chink

Pronunciation: 'chi[ng]k

Function: noun or adjective

Etymology: perhaps alteration of Chinese

usually offensive : CHINESE

It's that "usually offensive" bit that makes it an inappropriate term. It is equivalent to using gook to refer to a more generalized Asian. It is not simply "pc" to avoid using derogatory terms to refer to others. Exhibiting a basic respect for other humans is more appropriate. Of course, in your case narikaa, long live Britannia aye dude?

...you ought to know better.

/Tim

Edited by Tim

Are you in the US?

Don't confuse what's insulting in one culture with what's insulting in another.

Hummmm. Trying to process that sentiment.

....processing....

That would imply that a French national would be any less insulted by me calling him a frog, than you calling him a frog. (In fact, considering the history of England and France, I would think the French would be MORE insulted by you saying it but nevermind.)

Another posibility is that perhaps it is indeed the case the the British and Americans are a people seperated by language.

Hummmm.....processing.

Nope, I think the term "chink" would be universally insulting in any culture.

/Tim

Nope, I think the term "chink" would be universally insulting in any culture.

I used to have a Chinese restaurant in Glasgow that answered the phone "Hallo, Chinkies!" instead of "Hello, Chinese restaurant!"

I find it difficult to believe that the Chinese community in the UK would be as offended by it as a Chinese community in the US. Like I say, it's a cultural thing. I don't use the term Chink myself, but am familiar with the word "Chinkie" as a Chinese restaurant.

While I would not use the term on an international forum, I'm not going to get defensive over it. There are so many more things worthy of getting offended by.

I used to have a Chinese restaurant in Glasgow that answered the phone "Hallo, Chinkies!" instead of "Hello, Chinese restaurant!"

I find it difficult to believe that the Chinese community in the UK would be as offended by it as a Chinese community in the US. Like I say, it's a cultural thing. I don't use the term Chink myself, but am familiar with the word "Chinkie" as a Chinese restaurant.

While I would not use the term on an international forum, I'm not going to get defensive over it. There are so many more things worthy of getting offended by.

Pug,

Understand that at this point this is a theoretical discussion for me, and I am not accusing you or anyone else of being a racist. (However, I do suggest that at many times various people can be culturally insensitive, like the dumba$$ Congressmen here that didn't know the difference between a Shiite and a Sunni Muslim.)

A Chinese person calling themselves a "chink" is akin to a African American calling themselves the "n" word. They are entitled. While that happens and has a certain degree of acceptance, if you were to come here and go to just about any section of Washington DC where I live an call an individual the "n" word, you probably be hobbling to the Emergency Room.

/Tim

The single biggest offenders are niggers themselves.......the word [censored] is merely a bastardisation of the word negro......in the deep south it would be with a pronounced drawl...resulting in 'nigra'.....it has transmogrified over many years to the point where it is now pronounced '[censored]'.....and is a very effective propaganda tool used by the black community to instill shame in white people over the maltreatment of preceding generations......and whilst it's ok for them to call each other [censored]...it's not ok for anyone else to use it......talk about double standards......I don't see or hear whites objecting to being called honkey....but ....hey the poor blacks.....their sensibilities are easily offended........!

I get called a Jock......with all it's implications of being cheap.....calvinistic in nature..... I could care less......sticks and stones etc etc.....!

In Scotland...PC'ness has gone way over the edge......you can't call a 'blackboard'...a blackboard....it has to be called a chalk board.......it's bloody black....and it's a board.......why shouldn't it be called a blackboard.....same in certain district councils.....you can't call and ask for a police'man'........it has to be a police'person'......why...because the lunatic's have taken over the asylum......instead of raising consciousness in regard to how 'innofensive' these 'words' really are......we seek to raise generations who are namby pambied and 'protected' against such 'perceived' offensive behaviour......it's all a crock of [censored].

When I use the word [censored]......I don't use it offensively.....I use it as an abbreviated reference word for someone from Pakistan.....same with Yank......or Limey......Pom for Aussies.....same when I order a 'chinkie'......it means a Chinese meal.......or an "Indian"......despite the fact that the large majority of Indian resturaunts aren't run by Indians....they're Pakistani.......same goes for an Eyetie......an Italian meal.......!

The problem with all the PC'rs.....is that their little brown spiders get all squirrely at the thought NOT of offending someone....but at the perception of being offensive......using slang words or rhyming slang doesn't mean you are a xenophobe......I find it offensive that anyone would think I am......so, now I'm offended......whatcha' gonna do about it.....get a life and get a thick skin.......?

Edited by TTK

...so, now I'm offended......whatcha' gonna do about it.....get a life and get a thick skin.......?

Hummm, treat it like you do when someone farts in public -- ignore it as best as you can while quickly exiting the area?

Here is the point, and the reason while all the "pc" stuff is not BS. All things though can be taken too far to to the point of being ridiculous. Your blackboard example, if that really occurred somewhere, is the concept taken to an absurd extreme.

Would you agree that there are racists in the world and that racism is a generally bad thing? What language is used by people with these beliefs? The words you list are touchstones for these beliefs. While you may not share these beliefs, using the language of people that do believe these things affirms their point of view. You are providing validation whether intended or not. Or to put it in terms a jock might understand :bleh: if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

But as I said, everything can be taken to an absurd extreme. You've provided some valid examples.

/Tim