When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

!My MBW Polex Died!....no problem...

elprimerozen

You sound like you're a FACS with 10yrs of speciality training when you say, "so lets take this beauty to surgery!"

And I almost believe that you spent 4yrs in med school... :p

In fact my friend you are very right! I ve spent 6 years in med school and now i m getting ready for my specialty training!

If your MBW has a 2836 in it, I would think that a 2824 would not fit due to the position of the stem, it would be too high and not align properly with the case tube. All the more reason to go to a 2846, or go back with another 2836, or have the old movt serviced and repaired.

For the record, I had the same experience with a 4-month old (daily wearer) MBW last week--just found it dead one morning. If I wind or gently shake it, the movement will run for a few seconds and then stop again.

A new, replacement 2846 arrived yesterday (two actually--I have a (slightly fast-running) 5 year-old Asian-based Sub that is slated for similar transplant surgery next), but there is a new vintage datewheel en route with this MBW's name on it, so surgery is being delayed until it arrives.

Once the transplant is complete, I will tear the old movement down and see if I can locate and fix the problem. My watchsmithing skills are not nearly at the level of Ziggy's and some of the other regulars here, otherwise I probably would have just repaired the original movement.

I would also agree with the other posters that the 2846 is a better (as in more accurate beat) choice for these vintage models. Until it died, it was generally accurate to within 2 seconds +/- per day. And for a watch that looks 100% authentic to 99% of the public and that most genuine Rolex owners would refer to as a piece of trash or a complete waste of money, I would say that, all in all, it was money very well spent.

Edited by freddy333