When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Miyota 21j in Noobmariner

james21oo

My Noobmariner has the asian 21j movement. It is not an ETA copy, but a Miyota copy. It might be an easy swap to put a Miyota in the noob, if the hand sizes are the same, but you'd still have to change out the datewheel overlay. Don't know about the dial feet.

It is but the datewheel overlay on the movement in your Noob has to be saved and glued to the new movement if you want to swap or replace. It's specific not just to the Rolex font but also position in the datewheel opening on the dial. The feet will match.

When I first started buying from Clockspares, I couldn't believe how cheap the Chinese mechanical movements were. A 21j movement for $10 is quite a deal. It kinda makes servicing a non issue. If you are skilled enough to pull and replace hands, remove a dial and re-seat the movement in the case, spending $10 on a fresh movement every 3-4 years or so isn't prohibitive. BTW, the asian copy of the Citizen (Miyota) movement hacks, something the Miyota does not do.

Yes getting the date wheel over to the new movement is the biggest issue, as the overlay covers two of the dial plate screws it is a pain it the A** to remove and replace. I've not tried detaching the overlay but suspect it may be easier to do this than take the whole date wheel across..

Yes getting the date wheel over to the new movement is the biggest issue, as the overlay covers two of the dial plate screws it is a pain it the A** to remove and replace. I've not tried detaching the overlay but suspect it may be easier to do this than take the whole date wheel across..

Aligning the overlay so it centers in the window is the biggest issue. Some of the ones I've worked with have alignment holes that mount on posts on the underlying date wheel but these posts are usually not present on the out of the box Chinese movements.