When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My dumb question of the year

triplehd

No, it's not "Who has the best sub" buuuuut, I just received the BCE Ultimate from Angus. Awesome watch (pics coming soon to that section). My issue, which I posted in that section was how long of a power reserve does a 7750 movement usually have after wearing it for about 12-14 hours a day? I own several 2824s, 2836s and an 21j Asian that has great power reserve can last almost a day without wearing it). However, I noticed that my 7750 went dead about 6 hours after wearing it. Hmmmm.....not good. This being my first 7750, not too familiar with the movement and no, I do not use the chronos.

So my dumb question is - after wearing it, do I need to wind it up, throw it in the good ol' watchwinder or let it try to keep on running until the next time I wear it?

Anyone else experiencing this issue with the BCE or any 7750 movement?

Hmmmm.... A Swiss 7750 has a 46 hour power reserve capacity (+/-), though one thing to note is that auto winding of the movement is uni-directional. So, if you're like me, and you spend most of your time desk diving at the office, the watch might not get the winding it needs to fully wind the mainspring...

Please note - this is the Asian version 7750 and not the Swiss version. I move around quite frequently at work, no different when I wear any of my other watches.

Edited by triplehd

6 hours is damn too short. Sorry, but something's wrong on that 7750 unless you have a Parkinson's disease.

(BTW, the movements I am pleased most about PR are the Asian 21J).

In the Breitling owners manual for the calibre 13 movement (ETA 7750) it stated to manually wind the watch at least 40-50 turns before wearing the watch. I always do this with my Asian 7750s and don't have any power reserve issues. I have however had a couple asian 7750s that would not always wind on my winder. When wearing on my wrist they always kept up but for some reason my winder wasn't doing the job. Still don't know why this is. Possibly the angle or I just don't have the winder running frequently enough for the needs of the watch. Very strange though because I can wind it the initial 40-50 turns, throw it on my wrist, and wear it for weeks with no power reserve issues. Just doesn't like my winder for some reason.

Good luck!

:victory:

My 7750s take a lot of winding -- as Bignasty said, 40-50 turns. After that, I usually don't have to worry about them until I put them in the watch box again for a couple of days while I wear something else. But the watch will die overnight on me if I skimp on the turns, so my conclusion is that you should build up a good reserve by manual winding, and then my normal hand-arm motion will keep it wound. But if you skimp on the initial manual winding, then hand-arm motion will likely not get me up to the 80-90% power reserve range.

If you do the thorough winding bit and still find your power reserve to be skimpy, then I would probably concur that you have a service issue.

Big thanks to everyone who responded. Hopefully, when I take it off and throw it back on in the morning, it will still keep ticking. If not - 40 to 50 winds I'll be doing. :)

Once again, many thanks to everyone.