When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rolex t-21 crystal question

deltatahoe

so i was fortunate enough to pick up two tone's dw daytona, and i think the first thing this puppy needs (as ubi suggested) is a genuine t21 crystal; a quick search on ebay found several available, but this one is priced notably cheaper. am i missing something, or does this look like a pretty good price for one of these crystals?

would appreciate any thoughts / opinions....

deltatahoe

thanks a bunch guys -- the t-21 in question has been purchased.

@pugwash, after a trip to ziggy (i don't have a crystal press and probably wouldn't trust myself to do it even if i did), this one will definitely have its fair share of coffee table photos -- don't worry.

re: getting the other parts on ubi's list, do these vintage models use special crowns/tubes, or will the genuine crowns & tubes that ziggy has/uses fit the bill?

@ubi, any suggestions for finding some 571's? i looked on the 'bay of course and at jules borel (i may not have been using the search function properly, but the 571's didn't show up on the part list for a 6263 case), but no luck...

thanks guys for all your help,

deltatahoe

Hmmmm... 571's... Genuine or aftermarket?

I can get you genuines... Those will run $150-ish though :( A bit steep for two small little flaps of folded metal.

Aftermarket- I can probably find for $50, but there's no guarantee that they would fit right.

Alternatively... You can probably pick up a genuine 7835 or 78350 bracelet (correct for a 6263/5) with ends on eBay for under $300.00.

Jules Borel would probably not have these ends in stock.

As for the crown/tube... Just the standard 7mm Triplock would work. 24-703 and 24-7030. Ziggy probably has these in stock.

I can get you genuines... Those will run $150-ish though :(

yikes!! :o i don't think genuine 571's are in my future....

Alternatively... You can probably pick up a genuine 7835 or 78350 bracelet (correct for a 6263/5) with ends on eBay for under $300.00.

i generally have pretty good luck finding deals on ebay, so this is probably the route i will go. quick question though -- should the endlinks for any 7835 or 78350 bracelet work? for instance, if you look at this auction, there is an auction for a 7835 bracelet, but the endlinks are stamped 357. i'm guessing i need to find a bracelet with endlinks stamped 571? if not, which numbers would be (most?) compatible? there is also currently an auction here with 19mm endlinks stamped 455....

As for the crown/tube... Just the standard 7mm Triplock would work. 24-703 and 24-7030. Ziggy probably has these in stock.

perfect. i'll have ziggy take care of the crown & tube when he puts the new crystal in.....

thanks for all your help randy -- i really appreciate it.

deltatahoe

Hmmmm... 357's... Off the top of my head, I want to say that those were off of a 1500 Date. Those should fit. Maybe a little tweaking might be necessary, but I doubt it. Those should do the trick. However, in my opinion, you'll want to hold out for a 78350 with heavy links and screw pins; those folded link Oysters feel especially light and tinny, and they also have a tendancy to grab and yank arm hairs. Not to mention, they are also difficult to size without damaging links (if you look at the one in your first auction, you can see that some of the links have already been bent).

As for those links in your second auction- For this era of watch, you'll want the end links that are without the springbar notches, so I'd say that you should only consider those as a last resort.

Best of luck...

R

randy your knowledge about this stuff is incredible -- seriously. can i ask one last question (i promise it will be my last)?

what should i be looking for in an end link to make sure it will fit properly? for instance, i found these two ebay auctions for 78350 bracelets with end links that don't appear to have the springbar notch, but are stamped 557. any suggestions on how to determine whether or not end links stamped 557 (or any other number for that matter) will fit/work with the 6263?

thanks again,

deltatahoe

randy your knowledge about this stuff is incredible -- seriously. can i ask one last question (i promise it will be my last)?

what should i be looking for in an end link to make sure it will fit properly? for instance, i found these two ebay auctions for 78350 bracelets with end links that don't appear to have the springbar notch, but are stamped 557. any suggestions on how to determine whether or not end links stamped 557 (or any other number for that matter) will fit/work with the 6263?

thanks again,

deltatahoe

Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine fit unless you have the ends actually in hand. There are a lot of factors that will determine fit- curvature of the top edge where it meets the case, distance size of the top flap, angle/curve of the 'bend' where it folds over and so on.

For what it's worth, the first auction (item 280094323763) looks very similar to my v1.0 DW bracelet, which is a very nice hollow link replication of the genuine. I bet that one would probably do the trick, though there's no real guarantee on the ends fitting 100%.