When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Russian Watches

TeeJay

Not much market. Russian mechanicals have their passionate followers but the affordabilty factor makes them not very attractive to replica manufacturers.

Same reason you don't see Hamilton replicas or too many Tissot reps.

That's what I feared, that they'd be too much of a niche market... Looking through the site I found that one on, I've found some very nice watches, and at wildly differing prices ranging from $31, to $1000... I'm not normally a fan of GMTs, but I rather liked the look of this one:

220614-14609.jpg

At $188, I don't know if I'd buy one for myself, but I'd certainly think about getting one as a gift for a friend who is a pilot :)

Guest avitt

A few things come to mind:

1. Most Russian watches are replicas in their own right.
  2. Most are already very affordably priced.
  3. Would you really want a watch that's more cheaply made than a Russian?

(This is from the owner of a nice Poljot Strela, with 3133 movement...)

A few things come to mind:
  1. Most Russian watches are replicas in their own right.
  2. Most are already very affordably priced.
  3. Would you really want a watch that's more cheaply made than a Russian?
(This is from the owner of a nice Poljot Strela, with 3133 movement...)

I disagree with one of your statements. Russian watches are not replicas in their own right. The Russian companies make their own movements and these movements are a distinct design from anything else on the market. Second none of the Vostok or Poljot watches are made to look like any other watches. (i.e. They are not trying to say they are a Rolex and labeling them such like our reps.)

What I would agree with, and perhaps what you are trying to say, is the the quality of the Russian watches is about the same as our reps. That is true.

I own two of the Vostok Europe watches that you made reference to and have been very satisfied with them. Just like most things Russian built, the movement it isn't very elegant but tends to be brick sh*thouse tough and nearly unbreakable. The Vostok Europe design were specifically targeted towards Western tastes--kind of like an "export" version of the watches.

They are exceptionally well priced and not cheaply built. At least the Vostok Europe ones I own are not cheaply built. Unlike many of our reps, they have very few sharp edges, all the parts fit well together and are properly positioned. Only thing I've consistently noted is that their crowns tend to have some edges.

/Tim

Edited by Tim

As far as I can see, the Russian movements are the lower-end of those watches, the more expensive have ETA movments, the quality might be bit better then Chinese ETA movments, or perhaps not. The prices are reasonable, though could be lower. Few of those look good, but not that good. Here is link: http://www.vostok-watches.com/

As far as I can see, the Russian movements are the lower-end of those watches, the more expensive have ETA movments, the quality might be bit better then Chinese ETA movments, or perhaps not. The prices are reasonable, though could be lower. Few of those look good, but not that good. Here is link: http://www.vostok-watches.com/

I own this watch:

post-3407-1174505924_thumb.jpg

It has this movement in it:

post-3407-1174505959_thumb.jpg

I don't see what is so low end on the movement. Like I said, the design isn't very elegant but it is very durable and my watch keep accurate time to about +- 20 seconds a day. Not impressive, but respectable for the price.

/Tim

Guest avitt
I disagree with one of your statements. Russian watches are not replicas in their own right. The Russian companies make their own movements and these movements are a distinct design from anything else on the market. Second none of the Vostok or Poljot watches are made to look like any other watches. (i.e. They are not trying to say they are a Rolex and labeling them such like our reps.)

Yeah, I shouldn't have generalized. I should have said "many", instead of "most". But it is not true that the Russian movements are all unique and distinct. As an example, the Poljot 3133 is a copy of the Valjoux 7734 (Poljot even says so, here.) It is even claimed that they are made on the Swiss tooling that Valjoux used to own.

220652-14606.jpg

Also, do you see any outside influences in these watches?

220652-14607.jpg

220652-14608.jpg

I could give more expamples, like the Poljot Buran chronograph, that borrows from the Graham Chronofighter...but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

The first price(New) was 340euro here is the link:Aviator 5...and before 15 days i was asking for 200 Euro.

I will put it again on Sales area.....because now i feel like im thread craping here. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's a good price. I just wish I had it spare, or I'd be paypalling it to you right now :D One thing's for sure, that watch is going on my 'Must Buy' list! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yeah, I shouldn't have generalized. I should have said "many", instead of "most". But it is not true that the Russian movements are all unique and distinct. As an example, the Poljot 3133 is a copy of the Valjoux 7734 (Poljot even says so, here.) It is even claimed that they are made on the Swiss tooling that Valjoux used to own.

Hmmm, the 3133 is derived from the Val 7734, it's not really a copy. Also the site you reference is not Poljot but an AD for Volmax. There are two web sites for Poljot: http://www.poljot.ru and their web store http://www.poljot.com.

Volmax was one of the many companies that emerged from the breakup of Poljot. Volmax own the trade names Aviator, Buran and Sturmanskie and still use Russian movements but also supply models based on ETA.

Poljot no longer make movements, production for 31xx movement was sold to Maktime and 26xx to Vostok. Poljot continues as a brand name, supplying watches, but not as a movement producer.

The situation is chaotic at the moment, if you are after a 'Russian' watch you can't be sure what you are buying. Ebay is a nightmare, there are Ebay sellers selling so called 'poljot' watches but they're really the sellers own creations and nothing to do with any of the Russian watch companies...

Do you remember my Aviator 5 Chrono???It was and it is for sale....Great watch all the way!

221322-14379.jpg

that's a great looking watch. I love the russian watches personally... more because not many people have them... I see a lot of people with real (or rep?) rolexi and other watches, but I don't think I've ever seen a russian in person....