When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

About to order a TT Sub...Looming question inside...

jhigh

So, I'm about to order one. I've searched and read, and searched and read for weeks now, and I still don't have a final answer. I've picked either Josh, or EL to order from. EL has a 'new' Sub for about 100bucks more than Josh's. I don't know if they are different watches. I'm leaning towards EL, because of reviews, I can't seem to find anything on Josh's TT.

So, one last request, who currently has the best TT sub, besides Rolex of course? I really don't want to end up buying the same watch from a different dealer if I don't like it.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

Uh oh, there's the question... I believe it to be the Yellow one owned by The Beatles ;)

Here is the link I would recommend to read for all of your sub questions. Read the post by Giomarni

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...17280&st=20

I hate to ask that question. Basically, if I knew who carried which manufactures models, the choice would be easy.

So, I'm about to order one. I've searched and read, and searched and read for weeks now, and I still don't have a final answer. I've picked either Josh, or EL to order from. EL has a 'new' Sub for about 100bucks more than Josh's. I don't know if they are different watches. I'm leaning towards EL, because of reviews, I can't seem to find anything on Josh's TT.

So, one last request, who currently has the best TT sub, besides Rolex of course? I really don't want to end up buying the same watch from a different dealer if I don't like it.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

I just recently purchased Josh's new TT sub. I already owned one of Josh's old TT subs and one of EL's TT subs. All three are clearly different watches. I have also compared these watches side by side to gen. Josh's new TT sub (VS his old one) has a deeper rehaut, little better bezel insert, way better crown guards and the solid end link is now fully gold plated to look like gen. (This sub is WAY better than his older version)

When compared to Josh's TT sub, EL's TT sub has a thicker case (closer to gen), descent rehaut, crown is bigger than Josh's (both crowns are bigger than gen crown), bezel insert is not quite as good, and the gold on the mid links, bezel and crown on EL's is a darker[brassier] gold than Josh's. (EL's gold was too dark and Josh's gold was too light when compared to gen). Also, the date mag on Josh's is almost spot on in magnification to gen, where EL's date mag is a tiny bit week, however, EL's date wheel is the correct color (kinda an off white) where as Josh's date wheel has two much gold color in the back ground. Additionally, EL's date mag is lined up better than Josh's, as Josh's date mag (as is on all of Josh's subs) is too far to the right.

Also, if you get really picky, you can see, when compared to the gen that neither watch has the correct bezel thickness. EL's is closer to gen than Josh's, but both bezels are a little too thin when compared to the thickness of the gen bezel. Also, the gold on the gen bezel is just "different" -don't know how to really explain it, only that if you put all three watches side by side and just looked at the bezels, you would comment every time that the gold on the gen just plain looks better!

After comparing the watches, I would have to say I gave it to Josh by a hair. Josh's black TT is better than EL's, but I think EL's blue TT is a little closer to gen, it is still a liittle on the purple side, however.

Either way, to get them closer to gen you will have to replace the bezel insert and get it to sit deeper in the bezel so that the crystal hieght is raised (the gen crystal hieght is above the bezel insert about .5 to 1mm - niether of these TT's get this right and it is a dead give away. Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the crown with a gen crown while your at it. Both watches have a crown that looks like it is on steriods when compared side by side to gen.

Now, if your not freaky (like me) about getting your watch to look near perfect and you don't intend to wear two watches, one gen and one rep at the same time, either watch is close enough that it will probably satisfy your desire to have a "Rolex" TT.

Good Luck...

Edited by jake48

My first rep (other than the AlohaBowl fleamarket Rolex) was a TT from Andrew. I didn't know much about reps, and happened across RWG I. Helped me make a smarter decision than I would otherwise have made...That said, the TT is very close to pictures of the gens I have seen. It looks great, keeps excellent time, and gets many compliments. I went with the 18K gold plate, and I know there is a lot of discussion about that, pros and cons. I like it. So...I recommend Andrew. He and I have done business many times since, and he has always given me good advice and great watches. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

Deen

Is everyone missing the important description of the Sub he's after. Recommending SS subs is silly when he's looking for two-tone ones ...

I can't speak for everyone Pug, but I did ... I didn't realize TT was two-tone ... sorry for thread-crapping

Jake, that is an excellent post. Thank you so much for writing it up.

I've ordered the TT Serti from Josh. I figure it's a good start for my first rep.

I figure it is the same watch as the blue dial, just a different dial.

I can always trade it off if I don't like it.

Thanks for the replies.

Jake, that is an excellent post. Thank you so much for writing it up.

I've ordered the TT Serti from Josh. I figure it's a good start for my first rep.

I figure it is the same watch as the blue dial, just a different dial.

I can always trade it off if I don't like it.

Thanks for the replies.

High,

You can not go wrong with Josh. I do not know for sure, but if I were to guess, I would have to say that his TT certi uses the old case (shollower rehaut, fatter crown guards). This is not to say that it is not a good watch, it is, it is just that it will probably not be his most current case found on the newer version of the TT's out there.

Glad I could help a little - I could have gone in to more of the subtle differences between gen TT's and the reps - like type of metal, polished side links, overall weight and the feel of the bezel clicks etc , but that is half the fun of rep collecting - figuring it out for yourself and determing what matters to YOU so that you can have that "perfect" rep :thumbsupsmileyanim: