When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AD-proof modded SMP

scoobs1971

Today I visited a local AD (official Omega dealer) and tried on some watches. I took off my modded SMP (gen dial & hands) and immediately the salesman started complimenting me that I had great watch and good taste (yeah, yeah, a real saleman.....).

I gave him the watch for a closer look. He felt the weight, inspected the dial, looked at me, I smiled and he admitted to be a bit confused. So I told him it was a rep. Now I really got him confused and he looked again and again and told me that he only suspected the bracelet to be rep. Then I told him that the dial and hands were gen. Now he was really shocked and called his manager, but didn

post-4081-1174680474_thumb.jpg

Well Im glad that it didn't turn nasty! Be careful going into AD's especially if the watch you are wearing is one that they are an official dealer of. If I'm wearing a watch that is a rep, I make sure they don't closely inspect it.

Glad they were impressed, but don't let on about the forum to them ;)

Well Im glad that it didn't turn nasty! Be careful going into AD's especially if the watch you are wearing is one that they are an official dealer of. If I'm wearing a watch that is a rep, I make sure they don't closely inspect it.

Glad they were impressed, but don't let on about the forum to them ;)

yeah, I agree. they could haved seized your watch for copyright infringement.

Scoobs 1971:

What was it about the bracelet that would have or did give you away. My understanding is the recent rep SMPs are great on all aspects except bezel alignment and pearl. was not aware of bracelet flaws (other than screws which you really can't see).

Anyone else??

No they can't. They're not a law enforcement agency, and they're not Omega. They are nothing more than a dealer and they would have no rights whatsoever to "seize" anything.

I guess if they are only a dealer maybe. I know someone who foolishly brought in a cartier rep to a cartier store for a battery replacement. What do you think happened? And does anyone think the police are going to do anything?

I hate to be a skeptic, but the lesson I take away from that story is the same lesson I learn whenever someone posts an AD story: That it's really just pointless to take a rep into an AD. Unless an AD salesperson completey clueless, they'll spot all but the best and most thoroughly modded reps in three seconds. But because they understand that embarrassing a potential customer is not a good close, they pretend they're fooled. Wouldn't you?

I just don't understand the need to take a rep into a a place where people feed their kids by selling gens--what good can come of it aside from some a brief and mild feeling of having put one over on someone? More likely you'll end up making two people uncomfortable. Plus, I hear a lot about "AD reps" but I've never seen one in person. The only watch I've seen that I'd ever consider taking into an AD is my 18k Muller w/ gen strap...but sincew the hands aren't perfect I'd never take it into a Muller AD since it would be a clear tip off side by side w/ a gen.

I hate to be a skeptic, but the lesson I take away from that story is the same lesson I learn whenever someone posts an AD story: That it's really just pointless to take a rep into an AD. Unless an AD salesperson completey clueless, they'll spot all but the best and most thoroughly modded reps in three seconds. But because they understand that embarrassing a potential customer is not a good close, they pretend they're fooled. Wouldn't you?

I just don't understand the need to take a rep into a a place where people feed their kids by selling gens--what good can come of it aside from some a brief and mild feeling of having put one over on someone? More likely you'll end up making two people uncomfortable. Plus, I hear a lot about "AD reps" but I've never seen one in person. The only watch I've seen that I'd ever consider taking into an AD is my 18k Muller w/ gen strap...but sincew the hands aren't perfect I'd never take it into a Muller AD since it would be a clear tip off side by side w/ a gen.

I can't speak for others here, but I've never gone to an AD with the sole intention of 'showing off' my rep. I'm a watch nut. Whether I have a gen on, or a rep on, if I'm out and spot a good watch shop, I stop in. In those instances, I'm not going to hurry up and take my rep off before going in.

As far as looking to fool someone who feeds their kids selling gens, that's a specious argument. Sure, I've talked with some VERY knowledgeable AD sales folks. But they are the exception (at least, around here it's the exception). In general, most of them are NOT watch nuts and while they know the model names, prices and whatnot, they are certainly not sharp enough to spot a 'good' rep unprompted. Now, if you have a NY back alley $20.00 special on, that's a different story!

SR

I was in Newport Beach last fall and was dying to go into a great watch store but could only stare through the glass because of my rep Bentley. The next morning I went back wearing my gen SMP.

To be blunt, going into an AD wearing a rep is stupid and an insult to every person working and shopping there. You come here to smugly brag about this but they all thought you were a huge loser after you left.

I can't speak for others here, but I've never gone to an AD with the sole intention of 'showing off' my rep. I'm a watch nut. Whether I have a gen on, or a rep on, if I'm out and spot a good watch shop, I stop in. In those instances, I'm not going to hurry up and take my rep off before going in.

I think probably Ubi isn't saying there is no difference between having a rep peeking out from under a sleeve and strolling through an AD, and actually putting it in his hands and lecturing him about how undetectable reps are getting these days.

I'm not saying that's what the original poster did but we all know some of our members can't seem to control their tendency to go tell it on the mountain, even if it means going on TimeZone and posting dealer pictures. Even if your showing off doesn't get you into personal trouble it's a pretty capital example of biting the hand that feeds you . . . this website and its cousins aren't exactly hard to find, why go the extra mile to increase the number of people who are interested in having it shut down? If I were an AD why wouldn't I smile at you, say "that's a very nice rep, where did you get it?" and then scream at the watch companies who take my money to do something, anything, to make the MF's at least a little less bold?

Some of our reps could to all intents and purposes appear to be genuine watches that have been serviced or repaired outside the dealer network using aftermarket parts. Had you kept your mouth shut that is probably what they would have assumed it was.

Also, many genuine replacement parts will be missing serial numbers because the numbers only apply to completed watches.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I am familiar with the law on such things, and common sense in general, in the Western World (as well as most other countries), it's NOT AT ALL illegal to own any replica or fake item.

It is only illegal to produce or sell such items, because you are gaining profit by abusing a brand name (you don't own the brand, don't have rights to use it, you potentially take away their profits and so forth).

Imagine that owning a fake item would be illegal, girls wearing fake Louis Vuitton handbags and wallets would get arrested by the cops all the time :prop:

To be sure, in a country with a democratic system, it's not allowed for an Authentic Dealer to confiscate anything. You're not breaking the law, and if you were, he isn't a law enforcer, so the worst that can happen is getting insulted and thrown out B)

You guys scare the hell out of me every time you take your reps into an AD. Why do you take the risk?

Usil

Couldn't agree more. This is not helping our little hobby. The more they see how good our reps are getting the more feedback will get back to the Mfg's and the more heat will fall on the rep industry.

I don't see anything good gained by doing this other than a stroke to our ego's when it goes well :wounded1:

I agree - it's not a great idea. I take my reps off and put them in my pocket before entering. It is nice for me to be able to talk "watch" with people, so I like going in, but no more with reps. Just nothing good is gained really....

Where I live, Ottawa: Canada, the watch dealers are so clueless that most couldn't tell a replica just by its appearance on the wrist. Honestly, some of the people here behind the counter are so uneducated... I remember asking the lady how many "jewels were in the daytona" and then she emitted the most positively confused stare and responded "this one doesn't come with diamonds, but you can get one with diamonds, I can order one for you if you want... is that what you want?"

Another time I was trying on a Tissot at a less expensive store, automatic, and started wobbling it back and forth to wind it up so I could see how the hand swept. I got the typical reply... "Be careful... what are doing shaking it like that... dont break it"

A few weeks later, at the same store, a lady told me the same Tissot was apparently non-functional most likely because the battery was dead.

Back to a luxury Breitling dealer in the city's core and single Breitling AD: The salesman spends about 5 minutes trying to unhinge the bracelet on a navitimer. Of course, I asked to see the Chronomat..... :huh:

Where I live, Ottawa: Canada, the watch dealers are so clueless that most couldn't tell a replica just by its appearance on the wrist. Honestly, some of the people here behind the counter are so uneducated... I remember asking the lady how many "jewels were in the daytona" and then she emitted the most positively confused stare and responded "this one doesn't come with diamonds, but you can get one with diamonds, I can order one for you if you want... is that what you want?"

Another time I was trying on a Tissot at a less expensive store, automatic, and started wobbling it back and forth to wind it up so I could see how the hand swept. I got the typical reply... "Be careful... what are doing shaking it like that... dont break it"

A few weeks later, at the same store, a lady told me the same Tissot was apparently non-functional most likely because the battery was dead.

Back to a luxury Breitling dealer in the city's core and single Breitling AD: The salesman spends about 5 minutes trying to unhinge the bracelet on a navitimer. Of course, I asked to see the Chronomat..... :huh:

Gosh thats sad

So you are saying it is OK to shove a rep under the nose of an employee in an AD because they are going to be too stupid to notice? - Very dangerous! For every 3 or 4 "uneducated" sales people, there is going to be 1 who knows his/her stuff. Showing a rep in an AD - it's not big and it's not clever !! :thumbdown:

So you are saying it is OK to shove a rep under the nose of an employee in an AD because they are going to be too stupid to notice? - Very dangerous! For every 3 or 4 "uneducated" sales people, there is going to be 1 who knows his/her stuff. Showing a rep in an AD - it's not big and it's not clever !! :thumbdown:

You see, another thing about the people here, and from my experience Canadian vendors in general, is that unless you are a 'somebody' they will treat you like crap. Now, the best way to become one of these 'somebodies,' is to use their stupidity to your advantage. I'll never forget the day I flashed my Rolex in front of this one Rolex AD. (Flash here just means I swapped it from left to right wrist as I was trying on one of his models, he noticed... I didnt parade it right under his nose.) My god, did his mood ever change. He took me on a tour of the entire store, notebooks in hand, until we collected three nice watches on his little plate. When I inquired about one of them coming in two-tone, he left me and the three timepieces, each about $10,000, completely unsupervised in the store as he went into the back room to check the safe for the model I inquired about. When he returned of course he brought the wrong kind.... but that's beside the point. I was offered a special discount on account of being "familiar with the Rolex brand" (he suppossedly thought I bought the watch at his store for some reason). When I was there before I started on my hobby of collecting reps, the employees were so obstinate and unfriendly that asking them to so much as show me a watch would plunge them into a tone tantamount to someone just having been asked to do the biggest favor in the world....

Now, on one thing I have to agree, your wristwatch should never end up in the hands of an authorized dealer. There are many reasons for this, but mainly I wouldn't want it to get dropped... it would be a big waste, and a tremendous embarassment.

I have to be fair... there was only one authorized dealer who was knowledgeable about watches. He was also the only individual I regretted dissapointing after I walked out with 5 booklets and no watch :(

This brings me to a question for you: what do you say when the dealer comes to that critical juncture and asks if you are ready to purchase a watch?

My line is a little depressing: I make big puppydog eyes, tilt my head gently, and softly proclaim: You've given me a LOT to think about, I know that I will have a hard time making this decision. Every time I give that line, I see the dealer die a little inside.