When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen for forever

piratedzeus

Hey,

i am interested in your proposales of gen, waterproof watches. I want at least 1 gen watch with that I don't have to worry about waterproofness, calling out.. gaining 40-50 seconds a day ( which did all my 3 reps yet! ) etc...

It should also be affordable for a pupil ( don't come up with mickey mouse quartz because of that!)

I think the Seiko black monster would be great but it is still quite expensive atm (90-110$ at ebay + 22$ shiping)... thats not much but still quite much for a watch that i can't wear everywhere i want... like at wedding etc... it is more a sports watch so only mention the monster if you have it 4 sale, thanks Wink

again, should be quite trouble free and very waterproof and nice! prefering automatic ( of course) and no gshock / timex stuff please... seiko is very ok!

If a Monster is too pricey, you're going to find it hard to get something else. I'm going to suggest the SKX031, but it's still approaching $100.

222356-14134.jpg

It's still waterproof, in theory, but can be worn almost anywhere you can wear a Rolex Sub.

Hey pug, i remember your lume gif of seikos... you also had a lume shot of the SKX031 ? like the monster for its lume... a subjective comparison of yours? :) thanks

You tell me:

222365-14131.gif

Here's all my lumes:

222365-14132.jpg

222365-14133.jpg

As you can see, the SKX031 is nearly as bright as the Monsters. The onmy thing stopping it is the amount of lume applied to the dial. Yes, it's got good lume.

looks great, doesn't it? still the lume sucks! only visible in complete darkness and doesn't glow after 2 minutes anymore.

So how long does it last etc?

It lasts as long as it lasts. :blink:

I've not sat there with a stopwatch and a light meter. I really have no idea. Yes, it's good, but it's under $100. You're not going to find anything better at that price unless you go for a Quartz watch with a battery lamp.

You're putting far to many tests on such a simple purchase.

Actually no... I have heard that you can read the time on the monster after hours of darkness.... and on my noobmariner you couldn't after 2 minutes anymore... so there is a difference... well if you don't know ok!

I told you, it's the same lume as the Monster. It lasts longer than a rep. What more do you need?

"Actually no... I have heard that you can read the time on the monster after hours of darkness"

I could read my Monster this morning at 5:00. It did get a little recharge about 1:30am during my nightly [censored], but I'm still impressed.

I gave an Orange Monster with a black rubber strap to a buddy for his wedding gift last week. He wore the damn thing with his tux at the wedding! He said it was a wedding gift, so it was appropriate. I thought it was great.

Absolutely -- Hand Down!

I got the version of this watch that was available in the 70's as a gift when I graduated from High School. It has more hours under water than most Scuba Instructors, it always kept good time and it never leaked. My oldest son has it put away - he wears a Pam rep and a TW Best SD rep as his regular watches.

The only down side to these watches that I know if is that you cannot hand wind them.

Bill

If a Monster is too pricey, you're going to find it hard to get something else. I'm going to suggest the SKX031, but it's still approaching $100.

222532-14089.jpg

It's still waterproof, in theory, but can be worn almost anywhere you can wear a Rolex Sub.

I just got my Orange Monster off the bay via Singapore for $82 plus $28 shipping, which works out to $110. The guy with the higher shipping ($28 instead of $22) scares off some buyers, so occasionally his watches go in the low to mid $80's. I think you will find spending the extra $10 a wise investment over time. This watch has changed the way I look at my reps now..........higher expectations, no question.

222689-14046.jpg

So you want a gen watch, that will last forever, is ideal for all situations, has an auto movement, and great lume...... for around $100, could you let me know please if you find it.

SKX-007. A proven reliable rugged workhorse. This watch is the single most used watch in the world for scuba diving. That means that more people rely on this model with their lives. That says something about this watch.