When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska

Nanuq

3 years ago, one of my sons did a season on a tuna boat near Alaska. He is now a 1st mate on a boat servicing oil rigs in the gulf. No way he wants to go back to the tuna boat but it was a start in his career. Wants to be a captain one of these days.

Usil

Rye bread flavored Vodka. Sounds yummy, especially on a pitching boat.

Don't knock it till you try it I guess....

/Tim

Just a side note, but I saw where 'The Deadliest Catch' is starting a new season on Discovery channel. Every time I eat King Crabs, I can't help but think of that show, and I have to admit I'm an addict of this particular show. Makes you appreciate what some people do to put food on our tables. Horaaay! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know some crabbers that have broken everything from the waist up but their vertebrae. At least not ALL their vertebrae. It's a heck of a job!

Discovery did a show last night basically recapping last season of the 'Deadliest Catch', and interviewing some of the key crabbers on the show. A build up to the season premiere I guess. Can't wait til the new season begins. Already have the Tivo programmed.

Storms are like spice in the boring life of a fisherman, Nanuq! ;)

Although the boats I work on are larger, you feel pretty damned small looking up at a wave-crest 8-10 meters above you.. ..hoping that the last passing wave will lift the boat so you don't get smashed by the blue stuff..

Even though every cubic meter of it weighs a ton, landlubbers are always amazed over how much damage it can do to a steel vessel.

We had a few bad storms in february, as we are trawling in the north atlantic 200 miles west of the Hebrides/Ireland.

The weather the last few days has been spectacular though, and I want to show you how nice it CAN be out here.

227809-12846.jpg

227809-12847.jpg

227809-12848.jpg

That's 800,000lb of fish in that trawl, a good haul, and normally done twice a day. :)

(yeah, it does sound more impressive in lb than in tons)