When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any PC experts in the forum ?

2005SUBMARINER

hellow RWG members few days ago my dell died & i had lots of work data in the hard drive .

b4 i threw my dead dell away i removed the hard drive to see if there was any way of recoving my old data from my hard drive . is it possible ?

any help well be greatly apreciated ..

thanx ed . :rolleyes:

Edited by 2005SUBMARINER

Yep as Pugwash mentions get a USB HDD caddy 2.5" if it was a laptop HDD, or 3.5" for a desktop HDD. They are pretty cheap off ebay.

Depending on the original PC's problem, the data on the drive may be intact. If not acronis have some good disk managment software, with recovery tools.

Cheers :D

No problem, glad I could help :)

With luck the HDD structure will be intact and you should be able to get access to all the files that are on it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just don't format or delete the HDD partition if there is a problem with the drive when you plug it in. If you cannot access the drive when it is connected, that's when you need to look at partition recovery software.

Cheers :)

Bsically you don't need any of this stuff. The hard drive can be mounted into another PC (you don't even have to have any available space for the drive. You can attach the cable and leave the drive on your desk ;)). If you have a free IDE port on the mainboard of another computer, you can plug the IDE cable directly into the slot on the main board, turn on the computer and it should work (unless the disk or data is damaged in any way)

Bsically you don't need any of this stuff. The hard drive can be mounted into another PC (you don't even have to have any available space for the drive. You can attach the cable and leave the drive on your desk ;)). If you have a free IDE port on the mainboard of another computer, you can plug the IDE cable directly into the slot on the main board, turn on the computer and it should work (unless the disk or data is damaged in any way)

That is very true, you could plug it in to another PC as a slave drive.

It can get a bit complicated though if it effects the boot order of the PC. Plus there are jumpers to mess about with to get the master and slave configured right.

For $15 you can just plug it into another PC with ease, even a laptop. Much easier option :)

I've run ide drives with long cables just sitting on my desk LOL. You should be able to crack the case of the PC open and plug it in to a free port, XP may see it as an unrecognized drive, just tell it to reinit the drive (NOT FORMAT) and you'll be good to go.

On the flip side, if your new pc has a manufacturer warranty, you shouldn't open up the case - that will void the warranty. In that case, your best option is an enclosure as mentioned above.

Good luck!

On the flip side, if your new pc has a manufacturer warranty, you shouldn't open up the case - that will void the warranty. In that case, your best option is an enclosure as mentioned above.

Good luck!

Not to doubt your word, but who voids the warranty if you open the case? Are you talking laptops? I've never heard of that.

Not to doubt your word, but who voids the warranty if you open the case? Are you talking laptops? I've never heard of that.

I'm talking laptops and desktops. Dell and other major manufacturers put stickers on the cases that tear or destroy themselves if you open the case - that way if you do call them and they come to look at your machine they can determine if you've been inside fiddling around.

If your not comfortable opening up the new tower/ case, just get the USB external Case.

1. its cheap

2. its easy

3. youl get your data

4. you will now have a portable hard drive you can use to back up data, move large amounts of data from computer to computer (like big recording audio files)

I now have 3 of them :) they become VERY useful

I'm talking laptops and desktops. Dell and other major manufacturers put stickers on the cases that tear or destroy themselves if you open the case - that way if you do call them and they come to look at your machine they can determine if you've been inside fiddling around.

Not the case. Since about a gazillion years ago, they've been classified as user-upgradable and the user is expected to add memory, change hard-drives, etc.

Dell make it easy with easy-access cases and trays.

The days of voiding your warranty by opening your PC case are long gone.

hey sorry for the late response guys :rolleyes: just got in ..

iv already ordered that gizmo & hopefully i can recover my data :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i dont think i wana tamper with my new PC :bicycle: .. im afraid i might mess it up ..

thanx again for every ones help ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey PB having an extra harddrive to store my recorded guitar stuff is a hell of an idea thanx bro !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey sorry for the late response guys :rolleyes: just got in ..

iv already ordered that gizmo & hopefully i can recover my data :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i dont think i wana tamper with my new PC :bicycle: .. im afraid i might mess it up ..

thanx again for every ones help ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey PB having an extra harddrive to store my recorded guitar stuff is a hell of an idea thanx bro !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

youl need it :)

hey guys thanx for all your help !!

i just received the gizmo to retrive my data from my dead dell & BAMMMMMMMMM!!!

the dam thing worked man !!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

was able to retrive my data & now a have a spare 40GB store :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx again !!!!

I am glad it al worked out for you. I would have been suprised if the HDD was corrupt, like I said they are pretty tough :D

Did you get the enclosure style usb caddy, or the other type?

Great result either way :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am glad it al worked out for you. I would have been suprised if the HDD was corrupt, like I said they are pretty tough :D

Did you get the enclosure style usb caddy, or the other type?

Great result either way :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i got the other type but now i see im gonna need the more sturdy encloser type , ima gonna order it right now from the bay ! :thumbsupsmileyanim: thanx again !!could not do it without the help from you guys !!

virtual beers for all of ya guys !! :thumbsupsmileyanim::group: