When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ok, I'm ready....

predfan2001

You guys have more experience with the rep world than me...I just got my first rep yesterday (an Omega PO 42.5mm). I am getting ready to order a Rolex rep and I really want a nodate model. Many of you have suggested different ETA and non-ETA date model subs to me, but I am set on a nodate. Preferably a plexi crystal 5512 or 5513 style. Do you guys have any suggestions? Here's my fav so far.....

http://brand9avenue.com/catalog/product_in...dc5e4c0d52bb5bc

Please let me know. I don't want to buy one like this and then everybody here tell me that it is a overpriced-poor quality rep. Vintage is the main thing for me, but an ETA no date sub is ok if the other styles aren't that good of a rep.

The crown guards and pearl are horrendous. Actually small children shouldn't see those cg's as they're so freakin' ugly. But if you have skills to modify them it's not all bad. :)

heres my 5512 for a reference and comparison if it helps you to get an idea ref accuracy. theres an old one of my two subs to let you see a 5513 and 5512 together too. the comments on the site linked that its one of the best vintage versions around is actually probably quite accurate but its still way way off.

the case is the wrong thickness/shape for these for starters, its based on the 1680 case as all the 5513/5512 around are. iv yet to see one correct. the dial is just so wrong its not really worth commenting any more than that. its junk. the plexis not really like the original and the usual issue that the hands are too small holds. the hour hand mercedes is tiny. theres also the usual issues pointed out above, insert is poor especially pearl!!! and CGs need modding to say the least. lug holes will need drilled too.

all in all though its not a bad basis for a vintage project. just expect to throw alot of time and money at it if you want it to be remotely passable as either a 5513 or 5512. on the plus these cases take gen crystals.

FYI theres not a lot of options around for something such as this and almost all are much worse than this one youve linked. trusty sells them too.

something like a 1680 date vintage is much easier to deal with and starts from a much better superficial position while the modern 14060 no date is very very close if you want the no date look. for some reason the vintage no dates are without exception a joke. i guess their lack of popularity rep wise hasnt created demand to force improvement though why they should be this off to begin with is a question in itself

225743-13373.jpg

225743-13374.jpg

225743-13375.jpg

Edited by thewightstuff

Just a couple of tips...

Before I got mine, I searched google images for pics of the gens, kept them in a file and compared them.

The big tells on this model are the crown guards and the bezel pearl.

The middle links in the bracelet should be hollow. The non-date models that I have found don't have the hollow mid-links, probably because the demand for the non-date isn't as great as for the date.

I would suggest to go with the dealers reccomended on this site. They are very reputable (despite the current whining by some spoiled members that don't know what they have here) and will deliver.

For what it's worth, this is my favourite:

vintage sub

Hope that helps some. Good luck in your search.

For what it's worth, this is my favourite:

vintage sub

many of the same issues on the other one are present on this, along with the added bonus that not only is the case a different but yet still wrong shape, its also much bigger than a gen version in the flesh by a seriously noticeable amount. ive got two of these lying around the house somewhere with asian movements that anyone can have for free if they want them.

the dial is also not much better than the other one, the yellow is very artificial and the dial screams at you even without this. at least its not a mix of various 5512 versions however, (the one linked by predfan and on trustys site seems to be some sort of evil offspring of the gilt dial and the later style making it so incorrect one doesnt know where to begin).. again bezel pearl !!!!

the top grade vintage on the same site are improved over this though the same range as listed initially by predfan. as i said, theres very limited options and you are really looking at picking a best of a bad bunch with the vintage nodates. as above, if you can live with a cyclops the vintage dates are much better, if no date is critical and you dont need vintage you will be much closer with a 14060. theres also a vintage seadweller option. MBW/watchmaster do good versions and while theres a date theres no cyclops

Edited by thewightstuff

Ok, I appreciate the input. I feel nieve since I can't spot the poor qualities of a rep. since I once owned a genuine. I just never paid that much attension to the details and had never compaired a genuine to a replica. I'm still learning here and at this point, I have to ask questions.

After reading your comments, I'm "kind of" ruling out the vintage models. I understand that alot of the nodate Subs are probably older versions and not that accurate. I agree that the older vintage model (with the riveted band) is too "yellowed". I still like the one I posted as a link in the original post. Maybe it wouldn't look that bad with cg mods and a little pearl work??? Or is this newer sytle nodate a decent rep. from Trustys site:

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...products_id=601

Granted it is not an older style nodate like I want, but I really want a "non-chrono" nodate. At this point in my life (kids and all), a genuine just isn't in the budget but I really miss the one I had.

This is a start but it has issues that can easily be spotted.

Outside of the incorrect CGs (pointy on the 14060), poor insert pearl, side case holes and bracelet need to be drilled, the crystal height looks way too shallow. The bracelet has the incorrect solid mid-links and it appears to be of the SEL variety. Should be non-SEL on the 14060. The Sub bezel on this one is also not correct.

The best non-vintage there is the 16610 simply as it is so popular. These usually have the thick crystal, accurate bracelets, good quality dials plus decent CGs. Add an OEM insert and you're set to go. :)

predfan, ive got a couple of those ones at home and they really do need more than just a pearl and the CGs worked sadly.

as for the modern versions, im not really up to date on them im afraid. ive not much interest in the moderns and have never owned one so cant add much as to whats accurate or not.

theres a ton of people though who can thats for sure and jetsons started it as i see above

Ok, (I hate to ask) but I have found a new "vintage" Rolex rep. the I am in love with. It is the Steve McQueen Explorer. I'd love to dull and scratch up this watch a bit to give it character. My first car was a green 68 Mustang fastback just like in the Steve McQueen movie Bullitt, and I still have it in my garage, and I have never driven it....that's another story. But this watch fits, is it a good rep. or cheesy?:

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...;products_id=40