When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stenhausen Winders?

oakland

I'm in need of a winder. My collection is up to four and I can't keep setting my PO and Ingy when I want to wear them. I have read the posts about winders, and there are a bunch. I didn't see any on steinhausen. Anyone own a steinhausen? If so, are they worth the extra money or what? I'm trying to make a decision today or tomorrow. I've read that you get what you pay for, but I'm thinking the steinhausen's are just as shoddy as any e-bay winder out there. Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Oakland

I had one of their triple winders and it worked great for a few years, but then one of the winders became "floppy" and it wouldn't hold an all SS watch without it flopping around. I bought a used Orbita quad winder a few years ago and it's been a far better product, but it cost 3x as much too. I would say your choice is a good one and I think you'll be happy for the price. :)

I have a Steinhausen quad winder. It does the trick, but is cheaply made. The finish is very poor. The glued-on felt is shabbily done and I had to take it apart when I first got it. The second "barrel" wouldn't work. I got it from ewatchbox.com.....don't make that mistake! I originally ordered a cherry oak, they sent me a black felt. I could return it, but would have to pay restock and shipping! How does that work, it was their mistake! When I called for warranty on the non-working winder, I could send it back, but would have to pay freight both ways and an "evaluation" fee. Obviously, they are not tested before they are shipped.

Maybe it was a rep?

forgot to add....yes it is loud, but it works.

Edited by miquel

I bought one maybe 2 years ago. Still going OK.

The only thing was the transformer blew so i had to replace it.

But apart from that no problems so far.

Apart from replacing a blown transformer....it's been fine????

That's funny!

Winders are one of the most adherent products to the "you get what you pay for" maxim I've encountered.

I got it from ewatchbox.com.....don't make that mistake!
Thanks for the heads up! Good warning. That is horrible Customer Service.

Winders are one of the most adherent products to the "you get what you pay for" maxim I've encountered.

That's what I'm hearing. Thanks to you all of the advice. I'm going to grab a Steinhausen today or tomorrow. I think it will suit me well. Maybe when my collecion grows, and I have some more money to blow on winders instead of watches I'll get a higher quality winder.

Thanks,

Oakland

Thanks for the heads up! Good warning. That is horrible Customer Service.

That's what I'm hearing. Thanks to you all of the advice. I'm going to grab a Steinhausen today or tomorrow. I think it will suit me well. Maybe when my collecion grows, and I have some more money to blow on winders instead of watches I'll get a higher quality winder.

Thanks,

Oakland

You might want to look at the acetimer model that was recently reviewed... It looked pretty good.

Stenhausen blah! Sharper Image BLAH! Orbita and Rapport too exepensive. eBay junk.

About two years ago I found this brand named Eilux or Everwell Instruments Deluxe Watch Winders. It has been running now for two years, uses plug or batteries, fuzzy logic, and totally silent. If you buy them from Eilux they are reasonably priced (~$200-$300). But if you hunt they do sell OEM versions that you can usually get for half that price. The trick is to check out one of the Eilux sites below and note how the watch holder is designed. It is a design unique to them (a mightly good design too) and is spring loaded. Then hunt around for that same watch holder on other products. There were a lot of them on eBay at one time but I just checked and now all I see is the junk. Things been perfect and I have it 5 feet from my bed on my dresser--totally silent.

The one I have is labeled ALAIN LeBLANC and I got it for $150 on eBay.

http://www.eilux.com

http://www.watchproducts.net =====> has a double listed for $250 special

Review with good pictures: http://home.woh.rr.com/johnholbrook/everwellreview.html

Eilux is a HK based company and the winders are made in China, so I don't see why one of our dealers could not source them and get a good price for us.

/Tim

I have three Steinhausen quad watchwinders. All have worked almost 24/7 for over a year thus far with no problems. Not a bad value. To get a superior product you have to pay a LOT more money. Acetimers look comparable and are a little cheaper in price, but I have no personal experience with those.

Four Steinhausen quads about two years ago.

All slowly dying out.

First one winder of the four goes, then the next, then the next.

Took one apart, it was the circuit board that fails.

Voltage drop then poof - dead.

They go into this agonal multi directional spin then die.