When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Super Rep" Value

jimbo

Guest overboosted

I agree,,,$500+ is outta hand for a asian 7750 watch

I wish they would put more resources into stuff like this

229477-12491.jpg

229477-12492.jpg

for $500, and if it was anything close i'd buy it

With the F.A.Jones,,,I thought we may be starting to see some neat stuff like this,,,but I was wrong.

They are still putting resources into $500 7750s as we speak,,,see PT and the Coustaeu chrono,,,,,nice watch, but will be worthless in a year,,month,,,week,,,when it break from all the gearing to make the 7750 work...

I agree,,,$500+ is outta hand for a asian 7750 watch

I wish they would put more resources into stuff like this

229535-12465.jpg

229535-12466.jpg

for $500, and if it was anything close i'd buy it

With the F.A.Jones,,,I thought we may be starting to see some neat stuff like this,,,but I was wrong.

They are still putting resources into $500 7750s as we speak,,,see PT and the Coustaeu chrono,,,,,nice watch, but will be worthless in a year,,month,,,week,,,when it break from all the gearing to make the 7750 work...

The Lange's are very classy watches. Unfortunately, the conundrum of display casebacks and manufacture movements prevents replication in the 97% range.

Someone a few years ago was putting a decorated micro rotor Seagul movement in a Patek rep that was just gorgeous. Can't find it anywhere but it certainly looked more authentic than the 2824s with Patek Philippe stamped on the rotor.

I agree with most of you , Prices are getting to high for replicas but there's something important you are just thinking on the pieces / materials of the watch .. I'm 100% sure that those prices are so high for the labor / workmanship

Looks weird to pay $1,000 for a Rep watch we should create some Global organization to regulate Replicas price :p

I love the look of the ceramic HBB, it's really a shame it's so expensive. I can't justify it. On the other hand, I couldn't be more happy with my Ultimate PO with ETA. Now that is a damn fine rep for a damn fine price. I wish they would come out with more reps of this quality in this price range. Will we ever see that happen again?

I aggree with you. And from an economical point of view a second hand gen is a far better choice. After a few years there is an obvious risk that the rep is broken and cannot be repaired, which means that it is practically worthless. If one instead has bought a gen., you will most likelly have a perfectly working watch also after 5 years, and if you want to sell it you will probably be able to get the money back. So even if the price of a rep can makes it tempting and gives the feeling of making a bargain, many of them will probably end up being more expensive.

This is exactly the conclusion I came to just this week after a few months of buying reps. :black_eye:

A second hand gen is often a better choice. But that works with only a few brands. And if you are someone who loves 44mm and larger watches (as many here are) that is not a realistic option. On the 2893 and 7753 PAM's the gens still trade in the $5-7,000 range. On the HBB, how cheap will that get in the second hand market in the next couple of years - $6,000 or so. That is still a pretty major purchase. There are certain brands (Omega, Breitling, etc.) where you can get an older version for under $2,000 but they are the exception not the rule. IMHO, it is not the pricing that is so upsetting on the HBB but what you are getting for it. My favorite reps are the $600+ reps which are well put together with solid movements. You can invest money and time and try and make them better and not worry about the watch becoming a paperweight. I am still very curious as to how many people actually buy it.

I own a Swiss 7753 PAM 196 and just ordered a Santos 100 chrono with the same movement.

I have owned the 196 for nearly 2 years, and is one of my most worn watches. It runs perfectly, looks great, has never been 'called' by anyone, and if I take it off my wrist, I don't have to worry about someone screwing with the chronograph and whether it will reset properly, etc... Considering the Gen is a 6000 dollar watch, I feel like for 1/10th the cost, I have gotten my moneys worth. I had it lubed and serviced, and my watchmaker says it should outlast me. I have every reason to expect the same from the Santos 100 (I hope.) This watch was also in the 600 plus range, and is also about 1/10th the cost of the gen.

That being said, I did have one watch with the Asian 7750, which crapped out after about a month- which cost me nearly 300. So I got little value for my 50% savings off the Swiss watches.

Until they get the Asian 7750 to the point it is a reliable movement, at least as reliable as Swiss 7750/7751/7753, the more expensive reps using this movement represent little value as far as I can tell, unless you are willing to completely forgo use of the chronograph- and this is not even a guarantee that you will continue to have a functional watch.

I have no reason to suspect that the manufacturers of the Asian 7750 movement cannot get the bugs worked out- man, they made a reliable tourbillon for a few hundred bucks. It took until about the 3rd generation for it to run reliably, but they got it done. They will eventually get this right too, just not right now.

-O

A second hand gen is often a better choice. But that works with only a few brands. And if you are someone who loves 44mm and larger watches (as many here are) that is not a realistic option. On the 2893 and 7753 PAM's the gens still trade in the $5-7,000 range. On the HBB, how cheap will that get in the second hand market in the next couple of years - $6,000 or so. That is still a pretty major purchase. There are certain brands (Omega, Breitling, etc.) where you can get an older version for under $2,000 but they are the exception not the rule. IMHO, it is not the pricing that is so upsetting on the HBB but what you are getting for it. My favorite reps are the $600+ reps which are well put together with solid movements. You can invest money and time and try and make them better and not worry about the watch becoming a paperweight. I am still very curious as to how many people actually buy it.

Yes lots of stuff to factor in.