When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V72 Daytona pics

eunomians

The only reason why I am posting these pics is because I took them this afternoon :animal_rooster:

They turned out pretty nice, so I thought that maybe you folks might like to look at 'em. Afterall, this is a watch forum, isn't it? It seems that sometimes we are so busy picking out flaws in reps or wishing/hoping for some new rep to be delivered quickly - that we don't take the time to stop the bitching and simply just enjoy beauty...

These 2 DW Daytonas are powered by the mighty Valjoux 72 movement. It was not easy to source the movements, it was even harder to 'scavenge' the movements just to make a rep. I will never do this again to another Valjoux 72 watch.

Well, FWIW, here are some pics. I hope u enjoy them as much as I enjoy wearing these little watches.

Best regards.

229171-12561.jpg

229171-12562.jpg

229171-12563.jpg

229171-12564.jpg

229171-12565.jpg

Great pieces, Mr K! Indeed... It's hard to take apart a donor to build a watch... But, you absolutely have two fine specimens to show for it...

So... How much wrist time do these bad boys get?

:)

It's funny Ubi, I don't wear them much if at all. I believe that we've waxed about this phenomenon before: post-project completion = essentially zero wristime. It is strange, but the watch game is really about "looking ahead" :animal_rooster: Collecting watches is an obsession that remains unrelenting :black_eye:

Best regards

I have a couple of gold rep watches (Audemars and Lange) that I keep just to look at because I think they are beautiful designs and I do not wear yellow or red gold. These watches have never been worn. But I also have my PN project watch, which is also my favorite watch, that I used to wear for most formal events (where I would not be out of place (or alone) in wearing a rare watch).

post-3175-1175797993_thumb.jpg

But since PNs have become so popular and well known and my PN does not have the correct asymmetrical pusher layout (which is one of the main things the public is being told to look for to verify vintage Daytonas) and the lower subdial is a bit too low and 'bleeds' into the outer dial area, I have stopped wearing it for fear of having it spotted as a fake. Hopefully, once I locate a more accurate watch like Euno's (DW or similar), I will be able to start wearing a PN on special occasions again.

It's funny Ubi, I don't wear them much if at all. I believe that we've waxed about this phenomenon before: post-project completion = essentially zero wristime. It is strange, but the watch game is really about "looking ahead"

:) That's kinda why I asked :lol:

Indeed... Projects are very much all about the thrill of the hunt. Once the hunt is done... Well... Then what?

I only wear two of my projects post completion... All others just sit... :black_eye:

:) That's kinda why I asked :lol:

Indeed... Projects are very much all about the thrill of the hunt. Once the hunt is done... Well... Then what?

I only wear two of my projects post completion... All others just sit... :black_eye:

When one project is completed, the research for the next one begins....

Exactly, gentlemen! It's all about the thrill of the hunt! :Jumpy:

• 1 month later...

Actually the medical term is PPAA - post-project anticlimatic apathy :in_love:

And yes I too have suffered from its paralysing grip :unsure:

Very nice pieces Euno - and since I'm as apathetic to Daytona's as it's possible to be, that means something. But you tease sir....no money shot? I wanna see that V.72 in all its glory so if you wouldn't mind popping off the caseback and baring all???

cheers!

One of the donors came from a NOS no-name watch called Merkury (yes, spelled that way). That is the movement you see in the pics. It has a little 2 sided tape on the front fascia for dial swapping. This movement will be used shortly.

The one that broke my heart is from a Zodiac.

I will NEVER do this again. The 6263/5 is a puny little watch that is NOT worth wearing.

I will sell off the others (they need servicing) and I will keep the NOS Merkury one when I get it finished.

Yeah - i had the exact same thoughts. I was going to swap out my mystery movement - but then i started to look at the vintage watches that i was going to be gutting. They are really nice. Then i thought - why would i do that to a great genuine vintage? For instance, the old Heuers are beautiful.

Great looking daytona though.