When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I was approached by someone looking at my watch...

Usil

This is just a small story I relate as I have not had this happen to me before. I was at a fund raiser last week at a fine hotel on Les Champs-Elysees. The Americans Women Group in Paris did this to raise money for charity. It was a wine auction where everything was donated and a person from Sotheby's auctioned off the wines.

I wore my Fiddy at the event. About half way through the reception a well dressed elderly man approached me and pointed to my wrist. He asked if he could see it and I showed it to him on my wrist. From the look on his face it was obvious he was in great admiration of my watch and knew exactly what it was. He asked if I had any other Panerai and I said yes. He said 'let me guess - a Luminor" to which I said yes I do. He said "of course - what else".

The moment was too short to go into the fact it was a rep but it was the first time anyone has ever recognized my Panerai and knew what it was. Kind of a neat moment.

Usil

Edited by Usil

This is just a small story I relate as I have not had this happen to me before. I was at a fund raiser last week at a fine hotel on Les Champs-Elysees. The Americans Women Group in Paris did this to raise money for charity. It was a wine auction where everything was donated and a person from Sotheby's auctioned off the wines.

I wore my Fiddy at the event. About half way through the reception a well dressed elderly man approached me and pointed to my wrist. He asked if he could see it and I showed it to him on my wrist. From the look on his face it was obvious he was in great admiration of my watch and knew exactly what it was. He asked if I had any other Panerai and I said yes. He said 'let me guess - a Luminor" to which I said yes I do. He said "of course - what else".

The moment was too short to go into the fact it was a rep but it was the first time anyone has ever recognized my Panerai and knew what it was. Kind of a neat moment.

Usil

I actually love the potential replica discussion more than the "don't ask don't tell" illusion. I have had more knowlegeable watch owners shake their heads in disbelief when informed my watch is a copy than any other reaction. That's the kick in it for me. The look in their eyes when they realize that there's an underground market in very high quality replicas, not the Canal Street cheapos he/she has come to know through reputation, is priceless. They almost always ask "Where did you get that?" I had a Rolex USA regional representitive say to my jeweler after handeling my ETA Sub "That's a fake?...My God!"

Dispite the controversy on this board in recent months as we debate endlessly the policing of our hobby and our value for the dollar, this level of replica availability and collecting is still rarified air.

Rarified - yes. I have never met anyone who even suspected there was such a thing as a 'high quality' rep and even when told they have a hard time grasping it.

Also, I always tell my fiends that my watches are reps and many have gotten the bug because of it. I agree, that it is part of the fun to have open discussions about the reps like we do on the forums.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Usil

Cool story. Ive been involved with a few political consulting firms in Washington for sometime, and the watch of choice among political insiders is definately Panerai. A well known political consultant showed me his collection once, and it was quite something. He had about $200k in Panerai and IWC peices.

Doesn't it feel great to ahve someone notice your watch? That happens to me so rarely.

Crystalcranium, you actually showed your rep Sub to a Rolex representative? That's pretty gutsy.

Doesn't it feel great to ahve someone notice your watch? That happens to me so rarely.

Crystalcranium, you actually showed your rep Sub to a Rolex representative? That's pretty gutsy.

Well, not exactly.

My jeweler knows I collect genuines and replicas and one evening, she was dining and entertaining clients including the mentioned Rolex regional sales rep. My wife and I ran into them. We engaged in some small talk and he casually said something like "I see from your wrist you recognize and appreciate beauty and quality." He did not handle it but he did take my wrist and took a long gaze at it. This rep has a great dial, excellent rehaut and spot on 2.5X cyclops mag. My jeweler, who a week or two earlier couldn't spot the Sub rep visually but knew from the "feel" it was counterfeit, said "That's one of his fakes". After some more small talk, we walked away and that's when I heard him say, with just a satisfying touch of astonishment "That a fake? My God!". Guess he's used to the ones ypu can spot from 5 feet away too.

Interesting story, CC. I would imagine your jeweler put the Rolex rep in a slightly awkward position encountering your Folex.

Interesting story, CC. I would imagine your jeweler put the Rolex rep in a slightly awkward position encountering your Folex.

Actually, they are an interesting pair. She's a 50 something Israeli woman who is drop dead gorgeous, slightly alcoholic and very heidonistic while he looks like Pierce Brosnan, is a little bit cocaine addicted, smokes cuban cigars and drives a turbo charged Porsche. It looked like that evening they intended to put eachother in some awkward positions!

I have a PAM 176h. A lot of people comment on the watch but I've only run across one person who knows about the brand. I have noticed that there are now a couple guys in our NY office that them. Three months ago nobody had one. Personally I hope they never become widely known.

Actually, they are an interesting pair. She's a 50 something Israeli woman who is drop dead gorgeous, slightly alcoholic and very heidonistic while he looks like Pierce Brosnan, is a little bit cocaine addicted, smokes cuban cigars and drives a turbo charged Porsche. It looked like that evening they intended to put eachother in some awkward positions!

Only a slightly alcoholic and little bit cocaine addicted? That does make for some nice awkward positions. :whistling:

I tell everyone that my watches are reps. And you guys are right about the reaction thing. Opposed to the gen, I think the thought that the watches I wear are reps, magnify their reaction by X10. I think it is much more enjoyable discussing reps on a forum than an actual gen. I think there is much more to discuss about reps then it is to talk about gens.

Personally I don't drink the "If you go into an AD wearing a rep, you're an idiot" Kool Aid myself. And that's because 99.99% of AD sales folk I've encountered have been anything BUT knowledgeable about watches - even the ones in their own cases. Not to mention that my reps are of fairly high quality (if I do say so myself). But, the last guy who KIND OF knew about watches in general saw my 196 and said to me "nice Pan-er-ray". :bangin: So, honestly, I'd have no problem sticking my 16610 rep in a Rolex AD sales person's face. None at all. But on the otherhand, I really have no burning desire to do so either. :)

I recently took my "dead" PO into my local watchsmith (who has resized the bracelets on a few of my reps). I asked him if he would look at a replica Omega and he said he would. He took the caseback off and commented that it had a "nice movement" (it's an ETA 2836) and was generally very complimentary about the overall quality of the watch. Then he blew it and said "Shame it's a FAKE" !!! (It was a bit "tongue in cheek" and he has agreed to get it working for me).

Personally I don't drink the "If you go into an AD wearing a rep, you're an idiot" Kool Aid myself. And that's because 99.99% of AD sales folk I've encountered have been anything BUT knowledgeable about watches - even the ones in their own cases. Not to mention that my reps are of fairly high quality (if I do say so myself). But, the last guy who KIND OF knew about watches in general saw my 196 and said to me "nice Pan-er-ray". :bangin: So, honestly, I'd have no problem sticking my 16610 rep in a Rolex AD sales person's face. None at all. But on the otherhand, I really have no burning desire to do so either. :)

I think the issue isn't the wearing of the watch to the AD, because as you say, the majority wouldn't have a clue form far, or even close distance. Most of the people I have spoken to in AD's are there to sell watches. Most of them don't have as superior knowledge as a few members here about the watches they sell. I feel the problem is when people start waving it about trying to see if they fool them. That's where I think it's ridiculous. I wear reps all the time, if I go into an AD so be it, but I never make a point of flashing in front of them to try and spark a reaction.

I was once outside an AD looking in the window, I had my PO on, and a guy came and stood next to me, noticed the PO and said 'Blimey these Omega's are getting common now aren't they' (tongue in cheek kind of way) then went to show me his blue SM. I just gave a smile and a 'looks that way doesn't'

It comes down to how you want to send your money... sure i could buy tons of Gens, but i find that i would rather spend my money elsewhere. Cars are where i spend my money. I could buy a few great Gen watches but i love my new RS4 way better. Plus my collection is 5 or 6 times larger because i buy reps. I have never been asked if a watch is fake... and to tell you the truth, anyone who can even pronounce or recognize the brand of my watches buys gens, so naturally they would never suspect a watch of that quality to be a rep. Just my 2 cents though.

I sit behind what quite possibly could be the greatest internal combustion engine that will ever grace this earth

You ride a Ducati as well? :D

Usil: Nice tale. My father in law, who knows his watches having lost a Rolex mountain climbing, wants me to get him a rep. He's awaiting my collection before he decides which.

It comes down to how you want to send your money... sure i could buy tons of Gens, but i find that i would rather spend my money elsewhere. Cars are where i spend my money. I could buy a few great Gen watches but i love my new RS4 way better. Plus my collection is 5 or 6 times larger because i buy reps. I have never been asked if a watch is fake... and to tell you the truth, anyone who can even pronounce or recognize the brand of my watches buys gens, so naturally they would never suspect a watch of that quality to be a rep. Just my 2 cents though.

On the other side of the coin, there are some of us who could not warrant spending, or even afford to spend, $3000 - $4000 on a gen. Buying reps is the only way to come close to owning the genuine article. I personally would not then go and risk being made to look a bit of "cheapskate" or "skinflint" by being called out by some "spotty oik" in an AD who is in no better position to afford a gen than yourself.

Edited by Fireman_Fred

You ride a Ducati as well? :D

Stopped riding street bikes after loosing my kneecap when i was 17. Let me tell you, no fun. However, I highly doubt that there will be an engine (for street or otherwise) that will be up to par with the RS4. It is basically a race engine in a comfortable four door sedan. This is really the modern day muscle car! Not to mention i have traction even when it rains, and quick blasts to the ski slopes are not problem. Let me see you do that on a 999R!

Edited by mulrick

Stopped riding street bikes after loosing my kneecap when i was 17. Let me tell you, no fun. However, I highly doubt that there will be an engine (for street or otherwise) that will be up to par with the RS4. It is basically a race engine in a comfortable four door sedan. This is really the modern day muscle car!

:yawn:

Pugwash - welcome to a long weekend. Hope you get some computer time this weekend.

Computer time, no problem. I got my replacement MacBook, alongside my Dell laptop. Internet time is that which would be appreciated and is not easy to get.

ps. Mulrick: Sure, you get traction in snow, but that has little to do with the engine. :D The Ducati V-Twin is still possibly the finest engine for its weight/width

ps. Mulrick: Sure, you get traction in snow, but that has little to do with the engine. :D The Ducati V-Twin is still possibly the finest engine for its weight/width

Well you got me there... how the boys at ducati manage to squeeze 150 hp out of a 999cc motor is pretty incredible. But lets not forget the MV agusta manages to get 173 with 90 cc less... but it is a I-4 so the tourque is not present like in the v-twin.