When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Original Triplock crown prior to the latest Sub model

watcher

I have just purchased an original perfect condition triplock crownn from a sixties Daytona/Sub/SD1665 with the more tapered inner edge( the experts will know the one hopefully) I intend fitting it to my 6263 or a 1665 SD MBW but I do not know which crown tube I need to look for. It threads onto a new style cousins triplock tube but not all the way as the early tubes were not as long and I'm hoping one of the mod guys can help me!

I had a quick look on Ebay but did'nt see anything. Can anyone help????!!!!!

Pics included to better understand what I mean. modern OEM crown on the left and next pic on my 6263 with modern triplock crown. It screws on but not all the way.

231889-11955.jpg

231889-11956.jpg

I think the earliest versions came with Twinlock 700 series crowns, and then they switched to Triplock 701 or 702 crowns and tubes. The final 6263s came with a Triplock 703 crown and 7030 tube. I do not know which of these may be interchangeable.

Did you countersink the tube into your case? It looks like you did not do that and that may be why there is so much space between the crown and the case. I think most of the rep tubes are made to fit flush with the side of the case, but the gen tube has a convex bottom to fit into a concave (countersunk) hole in a gen Daytona case. I had to do this (countersink the tube) when I replaced the rep crown and tube for gens on my Daytonas.

thanks but it has nothing to do with countersinking the tube as the vintage crown will not screw beyond the rubber seal. It is already countersunk for the newer crwon. I think I may have to modify a modern tube to fit if nothing appears on Ebay in the next few weeks.

I believe that the tube that you need is next to impossible to source.

I should know: I've had my '67 5513 for years and to this day I still cannot find a replacement tube for its original Twinlock system.

I have 15+ years of connections with vintage Rolex parts - still no luck.

I think that I will eventually do the Triplock upgrade. The reason why I never did this is because my 5513 is all original (including superdome 19).

I've got a NOS 7mm Twinlock crown that I think I will sell at some point...

Guest avitt
I believe that the tube that you need is next to impossible to source.

I should know: I've had my '67 5513 for years and to this day I still cannot find a replacement tube for its original Twinlock system.

I have 15+ years of connections with vintage Rolex parts - still no luck.

I think that I will eventually do the Triplock upgrade. The reason why I never did this is because my 5513 is all original (including superdome 19).

I've got a NOS 7mm Twinlock crown that I think I will sell at some point...

Is that the tube with no threads at the top (threads start near the case), and no outer gasket?

Yes I think it is. I bought the crown on impulse for a vintage watch. I have since found this crown to be the first triplock crown no. 7020 for tube no. 702. It does not have the outer rubber seal but 3 inner seals. I'm going to countersink a 703 tube into a case so it will sit up fairly flush when done. Not sure whether to do my Daytona 6263 or my 1665 case..........I will update soon with the finished results.

Guest avitt
Yes I think it is. I bought the crown on impulse for a vintage watch. I have since found this crown to be the first triplock crown no. 7020 for tube no. 702. It does not have the outer rubber seal but 3 inner seals. I'm going to countersink a 703 tube into a case so it will sit up fairly flush when done. Not sure whether to do my Daytona 6263 or my 1665 case..........I will update soon with the finished results.

Watcher, before you conduct extreme countersinking on the case, consider this: If the crown is screwed down all the way in your picture above, then you may also have to file down the top of the tube. In doing this, you risk damaging the threads...so I would try this first, before modifying the case.

I may have lost track of which crown & tube are at the center of discussion here (apologies up front), but 6mm Twinlocks and tubes are available

post-3175-1176520540_thumb.jpg

Watcher -- I do not know if this makes any difference in fitting a Triplock to your Daytona case, but in case it does -- I think the original Triplock was the 701 (the 702 was second generation). And I think Avitt is right about filing down the top end of the tube. If you have a tap, you should be able to repair any damaged threads from filing. This sounds like the best and easiest way to get the crown to fit closer to the case.

Guest avitt
I may have lost track of which crown & tube are at the center of discussion here (apologies up front), but 6mm Twinlocks and tubes are available

The 6mm Twinlocks are correct on the pre-Oyster Daytonas (with the pump pushers) like the 6239/6241.

Is that the tube with no threads at the top (threads start near the case), and no outer gasket?

Yes it is! I've been looking for one for many years now :crazy: Anybody have an unused one?? :)

I've got the appropriate NOS Twinlock 7mm crown (the earliest incarnate with just the crown logo, no dash line) that is just waiting to be used. The only leak my 5513 has is via the worn tube. Mind you, I would never go near any water with the Sub, but I would like the watch to be hermetically sealed (for obvious resaons).

Arrrghh!!! :bones:

PS. I know I should've just upgraded to the Triplock system... Anyhow, I no longer have my watches serviced by Rolex AD due to their lack of support for my vintage models so I guess it doesn't make a difference.