When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 119 comparison

shimside11

Yesterday I was at my local Panerai dealer and noticed that they had a Pam 119. So today I brought in my 120 rep (I replaced the bracelet with a strap) to compare just for kicks. Wow...these things are getting closer to gen every day. The only really obvious flaw is that the date wheel is too small. the colour of both the dial and the markers is very close. The crown protector is slightly less beefy, but not obviously so. The lume would be a dead giveaway in low light, but you can't tell in "daylight" (sorry, couldn't resist). One thing that I thought was interesting, the guy said that he had to show it to the resident panerai expert. He was quite impressed with it, then turned it over, and looked at the back. He saw 0938/5000 and said "they only made 500, not 5000 of this one". I told him that it had the caseback of the old pam 70 that had 5000 issued. PAM fans really tend to know their stuff.

It's probably stating the obvious, but the gens really have an air of quality and attention to detail, that reps just cannot approach. The weight is the same, and cosmetically they are very similar, but I can see why the brand has really taken off. They just scream quality and craftsmanship. I'll pay 5k USD for one with no regrets (once I've got the discretionary cash).

Overall it was a very enlightening experience. I tried on a gen 005 that just arrived today. Now I need a gen. There is something quite magnetic about Panerai. I must say that I've really caught the fever and I'm starting to really see why the Paneristi guys are so into the sport. You really have to try on the real thing to get a feel for it. Pics don't do them justice.

Yesterday I was at my local Panerai dealer and noticed that they had a Pam 119. So today I brought in my 120 rep (I replaced the bracelet with a strap) to compare just for kicks. Wow...these things are getting closer to gen every day. The only really obvious flaw is that the date wheel is too small. the colour of both the dial and the markers is very close. The crown protector is slightly less beefy, but not obviously so. The lume would be a dead giveaway in low light, but you can't tell in "daylight" (sorry, couldn't resist). One thing that I thought was interesting, the guy said that he had to show it to the resident panerai expert. He was quite impressed with it, then turned it over, and looked at the back. He saw 0938/5000 and said "they only made 500, not 5000 of this one". I told him that it had the caseback of the old pam 70 that had 5000 issued. PAM fans really tend to know their stuff.

It's probably stating the obvious, but the gens really have an air of quality and attention to detail, that reps just cannot approach. The weight is the same, and cosmetically they are very similar, but I can see why the brand has really taken off. They just scream quality and craftsmanship. I'll pay 5k USD for one with no regrets (once I've got the discretionary cash).

Overall it was a very enlightening experience. I tried on a gen 005 that just arrived today. Now I need a gen. There is something quite magnetic about Panerai. I must say that I've really caught the fever and I'm starting to really see why the Paneristi guys are so into the sport. You really have to try on the real thing to get a feel for it. Pics don't do them justice.

i fully agree! that's why i spent 4 bills on the gen! some of the highest quality from any watch! definately in a different league and worth the extra money.

Interesting. I enjoy my PAM reps, but I could never get myself to purchase a genuine PAM. Maybe its because there are so many PAMs strapped to so many idiots here in LA.

I've compared genuine to rep, and they are quite similar - too similar for me to give the Richemont Group any more money.

For slightly less than $5k, I'd buy a Breguet Type XX.

PS. I will still buy PAM reps though :)