When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Ten Days of Rolex

jkerouac

In the US, all taxpayers have to file their income tax returns by April 15 (because the 15th this year falls on a Sunday, the deadline has been extended to the 17th).

I just listened to a radio report on pawn shops. One shop owner said they call the period leading up to April 15th as "the Ten Days of Rolex," in honor of the many customers who pawn their Rolexes in order to be able to pay the tax collector.

Cute.

Now you have to excuse me as I scrounge for spare change to pay MY taxes. :bicycle:

• 3 weeks later...

I think pawn shop owners are very careful in accepting watches... but wouldn't it be nice to fool one with a really perfect Planet Ocean? Yes, it would be nice - unless they require you to show photo ID upon leaving your item. When he finds out its a fake, watch out - the police may not do anything as you could go in there completely clueless and say 'I didn't even know what Omega was!' but you can be sure the pawn shop owner's 'friends' would have something to say about it!!

When I first posted this I hadn't thought about pawn shops from the rep angle, simply that people overspend on watches and then find it easy to hock them when they need discretionary cash for something they do not absolutely need.

Obviously you should always be completely honest when portraying a rep for sale or as loan collateral. But if you think about it, I presume the typical pawn shop customer (that is, someone looking to buy a watch or whatever) is a major league bargain hunter. With these bargain hunter customers, I'll bet a pawn shop operator could do a bang up business selling reps for a profit -- as long as they state they are reps and as long as they find a way to not risk being prosecuted for selling reps.

But then again, its illegal obviously, but giving a rep so accurate that only the eye of a good jewler might spot its fake. Im guessing they dont requiere recipts, original box and [censored], as there are so many in my small country, and they look like shitty places. Might actually work easily. Plus a fake ID is easy thing to do, and guessing they will only photo copy it.

But then again, its illegal obviously, but giving a rep so accurate that only the eye of a good jewler might spot its fake. Im guessing they dont requiere recipts, original box and [censored], as there are so many in my small country, and they look like shitty places. Might actually work easily. Plus a fake ID is easy thing to do, and guessing they will only photo copy it.

Yes, but it's both illegal and immoral. Oh, and pawnbrokers tend to have dangerous friends.

Defrauding someone with fakes is one of the things we frown upon here.

Yes, but it's both illegal and immoral. Oh, and pawnbrokers tend to have dangerous friends.

Defrauding someone with fakes is one of the things we frown upon here.

Well said Pugwash. Not owning up to the watches origins if someone admires it is one thing (although I usually do). Selling someone a watch as authentic when it's not is a big no no.

It would be inevitable for some replicas to land in pawn broker's hands...

To mitigate this risk, they'd have to employ someone who is an expert in every brand. Since watches are probably a smaller portion of overall inventory (compared to jewelry, electronics, guns, or whatever else they deal in- Some here even deal in cars, boats, recreational motor vehicles, etc), there is good chance that not all items can be validated properly. To put it in perspective- There are some secondary market watch dealers who sometimes also get taken, only because it's difficult to be on top of every brand and watch model out there (and watches are all they deal with).

So... Buyer beware... And absolutely- Seller beware! Karma has a funny way of coming back to bite one in the ass, and the pawnbroker's recovery team is probably not a group of individuals one wants to meet with face to face...

can a real real real good rollie rep be sold in a pawn shop?

Nope, it is illegal. That's not to say that there are plenty of crappy reps at pawnshops I am sure.

What's illegal about it? :confused:

Slap me. I read the first post as just "can a rollie be sold in a pawn shop".

Anyone who deals with hustlers knows, the first thing they buy if they come into some cash is a watch and a daimond ring. This way they know that if they fall into hard times they have two things they can always hock.

Rolex seems to be the industry favorite here, having had the misfortune of running into some of these characters as I built my business.

-O