When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

damn, seiko got me again...

longshot

my first love in watch collecting and what got me in to it was seiko. before that a timex indiglo or a department store g-shock was fine, when i bothered to wear a watch. then i bought a kinetic seiko on ebay and found the seiko forum while looking for instructions on how to size the bracelet :whistling:

well 93 watches (according to my spreadsheet) later i finally had an excellent version of everything i wanted. 6105 and 6309 and 6306 vintage divers. a 40th anniversary diver (one of 2004 made). a marine master 300m and a couple of my favorite 6138 chronographs. so i got bored and ended up discovering reps. and it's been fun. i've met some great guys here and bought and sold a lot of cool watches.

then last year seiko introduced a new movement. the 6R, that hand winds and hacks! the only hacking seiko divers movements were the old 6105b and the 6306 (in a very, very rare japan only watch) and the 8L movement in the marine master. and handwinding was even less common. just the marine master and a couple dress watch movements used on the mid size and boys size 2205 and 4205 divers. according to tokunaga-san (who designed all the classic and most modern seiko dive watches) it was because the magic lever was so efficient at winding there was no need. so the 6R came out in some pretty, but small, dress watches and was a hit. but i'm not a dress watch guy.

but now they have gone and done it. a stunning new 45mm diver with the 6R movement at a reasonable price. just over $400. exactly what seikoholics have been begging for. there was really nothing between the $100-$200 monsters and 007's etc and the marine master at $1500+

but now there is, dammit. the SBDC001. also available in a blue dial and an orange dial.

damn them anyway, there goes my rep money for a couple months :)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1176392053/

YES,,,I've seen that one and seriously thought about it,,,,but one thing,,perhaps you can tell me. Is there a balance wheel in there? For me, a real mechancial watch has to have a balance wheel or I'm not interested. I have four seikos right now and on my fifth,,,,a 6105-8110.

Any chance that the new 6r15 Divers come down in price after the initial rush of buyers? Are the Seiko divers going to be sold in the US/EU, or are we going to have to order them via eBay from Singapore or Japan? Thanks!

seiya and katsu have them for about $425US shipped. retail is 63,000y (about $528US) so i would not expect them to come down much. lee at chrono.com is at $485US. from what i've heard they will probably continue to be japan models as part of the prospex line, but are not any kind of limited edition. it seems the 6R is the new workhorse movement so they will be available and could certainly start showing up on the bay? but the ti sammys were never much cheaper on the bay (if any) than from saiya or higuchi or reto at PMWF ;)

YES,,,I've seen that one and seriously thought about it,,,,but one thing,,perhaps you can tell me. Is there a balance wheel in there? For me, a real mechancial watch has to have a balance wheel or I'm not interested. I have four seikos right now and on my fifth,,,,a 6105-8110.

It does not have a conventional balance wheel. It uses a "glide wheel", which serves a similar function, but it rotates only in one direction. I hope that helps...