When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Planet Ocean Lives!

TeeJay

I think killing my black PO and project watch were necessary steps in the learning curve. I'd taken my watches into a jeweller to be fixed, but, following my success with the dial replacement, I went in this morning and retreived them... I've performed a full movement transplant between my Planet Oceans. Black now has Orange's movement, crown and second hand (shorter than the hand it had) so is now looking more accurate, running perfectly, and still has the original dial with white numerals rather than the pumpkin numerals. Orange now has the faulty movement, and, I actually bent the hour hand removing it (had no problem with the other ones though) so I'm debating wether it's worth getting a watch fixed that I wouldn't wear much, or if I should break it down and sell it as parts... I think the movement in the black PO still needs better regulating, but I'm not touching that, that's something I'm definitely leaving to the professionals, but the actual transplant went without hitch :)

A big thankyou to everyone who posted to advise what I might've done to my project watch, and a huge thankyou to Edge, who's guide on breaking down a Submariner showed me how to remove the movements and gave me the confidence in my ability to do so.

Thanks guys, the black Planet Ocean was never intended to be a project watch, simply a gift my fiance bought me for christmas. My only goal was to get it running again so I could wear it for my gran's funeral next week. My Project watch, I think might have indeed breathed it's last, but, I'm still going to take it in to see if the movement is repairable. If it's a case of a simple movement transplant, I'll do that from the donor watch I'll be getting for the new hands, bezel and insert. I'm still planning on putting it on a dark brown leather strap Goldeneye Style, and when finished, that'll be my 'going out with friends' watch. The Planet Ocean is a nice watch, but I don't want to run the risk of it getting banged about during an evening's activities, and a self-assembled watch would certainly be a better talking point than a rather quick "it was a gift..." (as well as being more 'disposeable', for want of a better word) :)

Glad to hear you had success! Now your next step is to take the movement apart. You'll be servicing movements in no time. That's how I got addicted...

Remember, if you're looking to part your PO, I would be interested in the bracelet - let me know if it's available.

I think I'm quite a way off stripping movements for a while :lol: I'll probably get round to it eventually, but for now, I'm happy to do swaps and let pros build the movement (as I've no way of regulating them)

I've been thinking about this, and although the sentimental in me says keep my bracelet, the fact is I wouldn't use it, as I simply prefer the Planet Ocean on rubber rather than SS. I've already got my Submariner on SS, and an SMP on the way... However... As both bracelets have already been adjusted and are missing links (I've actually lost the spare links for mine) would you be interested in both bracelets so you could take parts from both to make one decent bracelet that would fit you? The bracelet from my watch has six links either side of the clasp, and the other bracelet has five links one side, six links the other. The clasp on the smaller bracelet actually has better etching than mine, and the clasp (including Diver's Extension) closes more securely. The etching reads Omega Seamaster Professional (Rather than Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean) If you're still interested, just let me know :)