When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Repairing Gen 1603 jubilee bracelet

Leifhaus

I inherited my dad's Rolex Datejust 1603. He bought it new 1976. The jubilee band is totally stretched. I was thinking I would buy a replacement non-gen ss jubilee bracelet from say globalwatchband, and use the gen end pieces and the gen clasp. I just wanted to confirm from you experts if this is do-able and no forseeable problems with mixing pieces, especially the end pieces attaching to the replacement band. Here are some pictures.

Here is the clasp. Any particular tool or technique to remove the clasp?

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/ze...nt=IMG_1155.jpg

I want to use the original end links (piece that attaches to watch head)

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/ze...nt=IMG_1154.jpg

This is a stretched bracelet, no?

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/ze...nt=IMG_1152.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I would think that it would work. You might also try The Watch Prince,

http://www.thewatchprince.com/s.nl/it.A/id.799/.f

I also ordered a rep band from Silix for another watch. I don't recall if they carry Jubilees.

I took the original c. 1966 oyster band off of my Rolex Date and put a rep band on, so that I wouldn't tear up the original (flimsy) band- I put it in the drawer for safe keeping!

You might look around cause I think there are people who can recondition an old Jubilee like you have, which would be good since it is original to the watch.

You should ask on TZ, there are a few dudes in China who specialize in revamping stretched Oysters/Jubilee bracelets.

Thanks, "You Know Me Anz", I'll try the TZ route, I know that others have done it for a reasonable price. The last thing I want to do is buy a bunch of bracelets and have them not work out.

I have to say, this forum is much much more interesting than TZ!

I inherited my dad's Rolex Datejust 1603. He bought it new 1976. The jubilee band is totally stretched. I was thinking I would buy a replacement non-gen ss jubilee bracelet from say globalwatchband, and use the gen end pieces and the gen clasp. I just wanted to confirm from you experts if this is do-able and no forseeable problems with mixing pieces, especially the end pieces attaching to the replacement band. Here are some pictures.

I have never repaired or disassembled a jubilee bracelet, but I know that alot of watchmakers and jewelers will work on them.

As for a replacement, I have purchased 4 or 5 of thewatchprince.com's Milano Italian Oyster bracelets and had no trouble fitting the rep clasp to the Milano bracelet. The Milanos are excellent quality. However, instead of separating the clasp from the last link, I left the last link on both ends of the rep clasp and just connected the links to the end of the Milano bracelet. Alot easier than removing the pins between the clasp and links and then trying to refit them. I do not know if you can separate the jubilee links quite as easily, so you may have to remove the pins and move the clasp to the Milano bracelet without the links.

Freddy Thanks, those Milanos look nice, but expensive. I got a quote from a Hong Kong jeweler, classicwatchparts.com to restore my gen jubilee for around $80, so I'll try that first. Also in case the gen never makes it back I want to clarify what you said above.

Freddy wrote quote:

However, instead of separating the clasp from the last link, I left the last link on both ends of the rep clasp and just connected the links to the end of the Milano bracelet. unquote.

Do you mean?

However, instead of separating the clasp from the last link, I left the last link on both ends of the {GEN} clasp and just connected the links to the end of the Milano bracelet.

Thanks for the info.